Grabber/Encoder/Capture Cards

hackbart

Hi, we sometimes get the request if it is possible to add support for capture cards in general. Right now only Hauppauge is supported, but since a while you get a lot of interesting encoder boxes which have an hdmi input source. Mostly intended to record gaming sessions

oldschool.png

,but i'm aware in several countries (japan, united states) they are also used to record tv.

Anyhow the next beta will have general support for these kind of devices. What i need is feedback if one of your devices is not working. I tested the Hauppauge and Tevii boxes. Devices with ITE chipsets should work in general, others probably need some fine tuning.I also planned to add the ability to change the recording resolution between 1080p and 720p automatically, as well as a couple of other functions. Unluckily TNT watered my Tevii device, so i'm not able add this additional feature into the next beta.

Christian

• Like 2

I'm in have a Hauppauge Rocket plus a Roxio HD Pro

Ps will it work with external capture devices

Edited by Eyerex

Hello just wondered if it will have the option of recording audio from say a mic plugged into the PC or say with the Hauppauge Rocket from it's mic which can be plugged into the device ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello just testing to see if it works with a Hauppauge Rocket and not sure what i need to do to setup i scanned devices and IT9910 Capture Filter (HD) shows up just not sure of the next step

Edited by Eyerex

I don't have such a device. So I don't really know how it works.

You may have to change some settings in (options > Hardware) Settings

And I would assume you have to make a channel scan.

Just ran scan with Rocket which shows device and that there's signal but it never finds any new Channels, not sure if this is of any significance but when i run the Hauppauge capture software afterwards it gives me an error saying "unable to locate crossbar filter (#1)" and i have to reset device

post-65308-0-05421000-1432978485_thumb.jpg

You just have to scan one channel frequency. Unless you use an IR Blaster which allows to set different channels on a connect set top box. You should see a new station named PC Grabber. If not make sure that you set the correct input connection under options->hardware->ite9910 capture device->property. The Encoderbox only receives a stream if a valid input signal is used.

Christian

• 2 months later...

Just ran scan with Rocket which shows device and that there's signal but it never finds any new Channels, not sure if this is of any significance but when i run the Hauppauge capture software afterwards it gives me an error saying "unable to locate crossbar filter (#1)" and i have to reset device

I am also stuck here with my hauppauge pvr rocket. It works fine with the software from hauppauge, but I did not get it to run with DVBViewer.

The rocket was detected as IT9910, but I can not find the channel on a scan.

The settings are as follows:

post-92919-0-62267200-1438545007_thumb.png

Input and Output are HDMI in the hauppauge-software, but I can not find this in the DVBViewer-settings.

When I press Device nothing happens.

After I have tried with DVBViewer, I also get the message "unable to locate crossbar filter (#1)" in the hauppauge software. After I connect the pvr freshly to the PC, it works again with the hauppauge software.

Has anybody the hauppauge rocket working with DVBViewer and has a hint for me, what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi,

yes the Rocket is a normal ITE device. The steps to get it working are quite simple: First make sure that the input for audio and video is the one you use. If not, the device does not deliver any data. Next open the scanner and select dvb-c (if your device is mapped as cable device) and scan the first frequency. I suppose you do not have any IR Blaster devices to change the channel on a set top box. The scanner should find a station which is named like ITE Encoder. This only works if you have set the used input pins correct in the options.

Going to make myself sound like a right plum but here go's

First make sure that the input for audio and video is the one you use

"Not sure what that means"

If your device is mapped as cable device

"When i Scan Devices, Tuner Type comes up as Terrestrial so should i change that over to Cable"

s2wqx0.jpg

Next open the scanner and select dvb-c

"So if i have to change over Tuner Type like in above image am i right in thinking i then change Reception Type over to Cable ie dvb-c like image below

103v6dx.jpg

Scan the first frequency

"Not sure what that means ie what the first frequency is "

"Yes i'm a Plum sometimes"

mjy3a8.png

These kind of devices do not have a tuner and come with ir transmitters which are used to tune a channel to a connected stb. If you define the device is a dvbt you have to scan dvbt

AFAIK the tuner type assignment must be selected such that it does not collide with other tuners in the device list. So if you can receive DVB-T, don't use DVB-T for the Hauppauge Rocket.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did try this on new client, that does not have another device. So I assume that I can leave it as detected as dvb-t?

Regarding

.. First make sure that the input for audio and video is the one you use. ..

The options I have for video are:

Video Parallel Digital
Video YRYBY

S-Video

Video Composite
Video RGB

and for Audio

Audio S/PDIF

Audio Line

In the capture software from hauppauge I have video and audio configured to use HDMI. I can not find this setting in the hw-configuration from DVBViewer.

I assume that this is the problem?

When I try with the defaults of Video Parallel Digital and Audio S/PDIF nothing is found during a scan. I do not get an error-message, but after some tries, the Rocket also nolonger works with the hauppauge software and I have to reconnect the usb-cable.

In the hauppauge software, it takes about 5-10 seconds, until I get the picture, so it could also be a timing issue, that nothing gets found?
I did test with different settings for 'nur aktive sender' and 'gründliche suche' but also the same result.

I will upload a support-zip, but I have no idea wether this helps.

Thank you very much

support.zip

post-92919-0-90445700-1438719091_thumb.png

Edited by noe99
  • 1 month later...

Is there any update on this issue with regard to the support of PVR2 from Hauppauge?

What version of DVBViewer does support these devices?

And how do you configure them? Do you have to "run" them inside the DVBViewer.exe or from the recording service?

(what is this, why cant you edit your own posts here?)

Edit:

I have a HD PVR 2 (model 1512) the model with the IR blaster. The PVR 2 is connected to the TV server over USB 2.0. That device works pretty good with the hauppauge "Capture" software. So in order to get a proper EPG recording setup I tried the latest RecService(v1.31.0.0) and after hitting "device search" under hardware tab a new device was listed "Hauppauge Siena Video Capture". I wonder if my hardware is correct recognized by the RecService?

Haven't tested very much but the first obvious problem I ran into is that I cant select the right Video Input source. I use HDMI for video input and for audio input and both are not listed in the drop down menus. Only the following video sources are listed: Video Serial Digital, Video YRYBY, Video Composite,S-Video)

Hitting "Device" or "Encoder" in the Encoder Box Settings window does not seem to work, nothing happens.

And how do you handle the IR transmitter "IR blaster" setup from the PVR2? The "..." button opens a explorer window where it wants a path to the Blaster Library.dll ? I don't have this dll on my PC, where do you get this from? From the Hauppauge "WinTV 8" software?

So then you need to configure the IR Blaster from within Hauppauge WinTV or how is that managed?

Edited by Zefix

Well actually the Recordingservice is not really intent to handle a capture card. We will probably remove the overall support for devices like this. Keep in mind the Box you use is just a DA-AD (digital analog-analog digital) converter which only provides the audio and video stream of the connected input. For the shipped IR Blaster by Hauppauge you have to use the IR Blaster plugin which is available in the forum (incl. its example source). I never got it working with the Hauppauge i used to implement the support for these kind of capture devices. To get the box running in the DVBViewer you have to open the hardware options and in the device property you need to set the audio and video input. There you can also load the ir blaster remote plugin.

Thank you, the last evening I tried the DVBViewer for handling the PVR2 and from the GUI it looks exactly the same like in the RecService. The same problems I ran into like no HDMI support and so forth.

And for the IR Blaster plugin the only things I found so far are:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/46506-hauppauge-hd-pvr/

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/56473-ir-transmitter/

But I'm not really sure what to do with this sampe.zip and the the sampe.dpr inside. Seems to be source code so there is no ready to use IR Blaster plugin?

What exactly do you mean with "We will probably remove the overall support for devices like this" ? Dropping the support in DVBViewer and RecService all together? Some political move? I don't understand this move because these recording devices will probably become popular in Europe as well. If thats really the official course for the years to come I will probably have to look else where and try other TV Software like for example "nextpvr".

Thats really sad for me as I am a pleased longterm user of the DVBViewer Pro software user since 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can anyone from the "team" get a clear message out concerning this whole issue?

I mean first the thread starter asks for feedback about the capture cards supported and then nothing seems to happen at all. Maybe behind the scene?

This is really confusing and frustrating for anyone.

Edited by Zefix

Before we get start with the Blaster IR Transmitter, make sure that you receive the tv stream, connected with your box.

It does not make sense to put the support for such encoders into the recording service. This does not mean we remove the support for the box inside the DVBViewer, but without epg does not make sense inside the Service.

Please do the following: Select the output for audio and video under options->hardware->device->property, then set dvb-t or -c as device tuner type and do a scan on the first frequency. If a signal is received (which means you set the correct tuner type), a station will be added.

Just done a test recording and to my eyes the recordings look crisper / clearer with DVBViewer than with the Hauppauge capture software even though there the same bit rate so thumbs up :)

• Like 1

Before we get start with the Blaster IR Transmitter, make sure that you receive the tv stream, connected with your box.

It does not make sense to put the support for such encoders into the recording service. This does not mean we remove the support for the box inside the DVBViewer, but without epg does not make sense inside the Service.

Please do the following: Select the output for audio and video under options->hardware->device->property, then set dvb-t or -c as device tuner type and do a scan on the first frequency. If a signal is received (which means you set the correct tuner type), a station will be added.

Thanks for the answer.

I do have DVB S2 TV Cards in the PC system so EPG data is available. Handling the capture device with the recording service for automatic timed captures is the central point for me here.

My HD PVR 2 is working as it is intended capturing video and audio over HDMI using the Hauppauge Capture software. I did several >1,5h recordings at full HD and Digital Dolby all went fine.

The problem with the DVBViewer/RecService is that I can't even get started cause I can't select HDMI in the DVBViewer/RecService settings as source.

Not to mention the Infrared Blaster handling....

@Eyerex

Do you use HDMI as source for capturing?

Edited by Zefix

@Eyerex
Where exactly did you set HDMI as source?

At options->hardware->device->property I have only: Video Serial Digital, Video YRYBY, Video Composite,S-Video.

@hackbart
I'm not sure what you want me to do with this C++ "reference".

I just can't select HDMI as input source under options->hardware->device->property.

"Video Serial Digital" = HDMI or what?

Edited by Zefix

Yes, Video Serial Digital is the HDMI input. You also have to set the proper Audio input in order to get the box working.

The problem is that Microsoft gave these names and i never tried to translate it into proper meaning for "users".

@Eyerex

Where exactly did you set HDMI as source?

At options->hardware->device->property I have only: Video Serial Digital, Video YRYBY, Video Composite,S-Video.

Didn't have to change anything in settings only thing i did was move the Rocket to it's own group ie H then when in Scan Channels i changed group to H and did Scan Frequency and a few seconds later it added the channel

post-65308-0-05656000-1444485913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eyerex

Thanks very much for the clarification with that video Eyerex.

I did follow every step but no success here, tried it on the DVBViewer and the RecService to the same results.

I have no idea what the problem might be here. Probably the hardware is not recognized correct or the communication to the PVR2 doesn't work correct. As I said before the Hauppauge Capture software works as intended so the problem here might be on the DVBViewer side.

What I did :
After "Scan Devices" at hardware a "Hauppauge Siena Video Capture" device shows up. I can select that and put the TunerType to terrestrial and the channel group to "H". So it should not interfere with the dualtuner DVBs2 card managed by the RecService. I also checked the Encoder Box Settings for the correct Video/Audio Input. It was set by default to "Video Serial Digital" and Audio "AES/EBU Digital" and I didn't change that.

Next I open the "channel scan" window. I checked reception type: terrestrial and select the group "H" and hit the "Scan Frequency" button. And then a small anomaly seems to happen as I have to klick the "Scan Frequency" button twice before it starts to scan. On the bottom of the window at "Current Device" the "Hauppauge Siena Video Capture" is listed. But the scan doesn't find anything. Also I can see that the LED light on the HD PVR 2 housing doesn't change to green as it does when I start/use the Hauppauge Capture Software and see the "live" HDMI stream preview video.
I can repeat that with the Hauppauge Capture Software running in the back and showing a live stream and then running the "channel scan" again but again no channels are found.

Any suggestions here?

Edited by Zefix

(this "edit time" window is definitely too narrow, maybe set it to a few hours instead?)

Edit:

When I try to use the RecService to handle the "Hauppauge Siena Video Capture" device I set up a second "unicast Network Device 2" in the DVBViewer with tuner type terrestrial and group "H" and a hook at "no EPG". Then when I open the "channel scan" and check reception type: terrestrial and select the group "H" and hit the "Scan Frequency" button only > once < after a few seconds a small window appears. It says "for this transmitter is no DVB device available". Maybe this is a hint?

Edited by Zefix
  • 4 weeks later...

That's a really nice feature....

Is it possible to add support for the elgato game capture hd?

It also produces a really nice mpeg-ts with h.264 video and aac audio, but driver is may be not based on BDA

• 1 month later...

I have the TeVii D612 capture box which is a HDMI pass through box recording onto a USB drive. The quality of the recorded picture is very good however it is not recording any sound. I have tried this on a few different sources (ps3, PS4 and a streaming box) but there is no sound on any recording. The audio passing through the device is fine as there is sound coming through on the TV. The sound is not being recorded on the saved file.

I bought the box on ebay from China - so posting it back isn't really worth while. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by boc555
  • 5 months later...

...To get the box running in the DVBViewer you have to open the hardware options and in the device property you need to set the audio and video input. There you can also load the ir blaster remote plugin.

After upgrading my pc to windows 10, I got my HD PVR Rocket working with the Recording-Service.

I also have winlirc running and can change the channel, that the rocket is showing.

Is it possible to integrate winlirc (or something simular like a blaster plugin) into the recording-service (not the DVBViewer client)?

I did not find something like that in the service-configuration, but maybe I did look in the wrong place.

Thanks