Streaming button in TransEdit

userip

Hi,

I found the TransEdit tool a Must Have... I prefer it over DVBViewer, because I use it for scan transponders, search channels, testing tools, etc. (I prefer to show television programs in my television ;-)

So, for this reason I ask for new improvements in this tool. Howerver, I can understand (and I accept) the limitations of this software and the lack of time from developers for improve it. Thank you for your good job!

Now, a simple suggestion (from my point of view): Can you add, please, a button in the TransEdit Tool, similar to the "Preview" button called "Stream"? The functionality is simple: forward the entire Transport Stream to a specific UDP address (configurable through the Config). With this option is possible to use one "external" tool to "view" the TS and call the preview (for example, the VLC). The target can be as simple: "udp://127.0.0.1" (unicast, or multicast, as you prefer).

I feel this isn't compilated, and I hope someone likes to add this to the TODO list for implement it in the future.

Regards!

• Like 1

..in the past I've proposed similar wishes. I solved the problem by using transedit as a streaming client among other tools (VLC, TSreader or 4T2 Content Analyser) instead as a streaming server ;)

If you have a blind scan capable card you could try EBSpro.

Snap450.pngSnap452.png

If you have a blind scan capable card you could try EBSpro.

Hi Derrick,

Thank you for the info... but this is not a solution: My current environment is SAT>IP "only" (I hate internal tuners) and I like to use tools in this environment. At time TransEdit is the best tool (not viewer) for driving SAT>IP servers... but It lacks support for "re-streaming" to other testing tools. As "UDP Streaming" it's globally supported by all tools, and I feel some support is already included in the source code of the TE or DVBViewer, I suggest to add the option to "re-streaming". I understand that developers don't have time to improve the "preview" window, but with this solution the TE will work with ANY other tool.

You agree?

Edited by userip

If you are looking for a Sat>IP client which has a streaming server. The RS might be the solution.

I don't think that a streaming server will be added in TransEdit.

If you are looking for a Sat>IP client which has a streaming server. The RS might be the solution.

Hi Tjod,

Thank you for your response! But no, this is not my idea. I return to explain my suggestion:

- TransEdit is a VERY GOOD testing tool. At time, it supports internal/external USB/PCI DVB-X cards... and SAT>IP servers (for DVB-S/T/C), in addition to multicast and TS files. It is very flexible in the inputs. Also it's very powerful for stream analisys. So, at end, it's a very interesting tool. However, the "preview" function is very limited. And the developers have said that they will not spend more time in improve this part of the tool. This is acceptable, as the current preview function is good for a simple show of a program.

What it's the problem then? If I like to use another tool for the "preview" and I can't do it.

What I suggest? An easy/dirty/simple funtion for re-streaming the full transport stream over UDP. This is not a "streaming server" is only a simple method for passing the Transport Stream to another tool.

What is the cost to put this on the code of TE? I can't quantify it, but the DVBViewer Netstreaming Plugin has implemented this (and several more functionality). Also, it's as simple as copy 7 TS packets to one UDP datagram and send it over the network. I don't request for RTP streaming, only plain UDP.

Finally, if you consider the benefits of this litte effort, and the imposibility of improve the "preview" window, what you think now?

Regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Whem I suggest this:

What I suggest? An easy/dirty/simple funtion for re-streaming the full transport stream over UDP. This is not a "streaming server" is only a simple method for passing the Transport Stream to another tool.

I don't like to suggest to send the FULL transport stream, only the TS filtered sended to the preview window. It's as simple as "open an external app" and send to it the stream using UDP unicast.

I feel it's very easy to implement. Please, can you consider this?

Thank you!

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for "resurrect" this thread. However, please don't think that I like to criticize the developers of DVBViewer. They are a good group! Thank you for this great piece of software!

However, I has purchased in the past a license of DVBViewer not for the Player, but for the valuable TransEdit tool. So, for this reason all my suggestions are focused on TransEdit.

I know that the development of TE is stalled at time. I don't like to promote a huge change on it, only the implementation of "easy" modifications that can improve the tool. I explain my courrent objective:

- In very common cases I need to analyze some Transport Streams in a not commercial environment. They can be from network, tuners, recordings, etc. So I prefer to use TransEdit as a central point for "tune" (=access) to the sources. However, with this tool I can only do a "preview" of the programs inside the TS. This opens one window of a mini DVBViewer player. This is good for "play", but not for "analyze". Several other tools (VideoLAN, TSReader Lite, etc.) has very powerful options. And these tools can read UDP transport streams (also RTP streams, HTTP streams, etc.). So, my objective is "replace" the preview window with one of these tools.

This can be done with minimal effort adding to TransEdit the option of "streaming" instead of "preview". This can be added in the options, and the behaviour is quite simple: instead of open the preview window, it sends the TS packets over UDP to some address:port.

This can be done with less than 20 lines of code (the streaming of UDP packets). So, why not consider to add this option?

I hope the developers of DVBViewer can consider the advantages of this improvement.

Thank you!

Hi,

I discovered a method for saving a dump of the entire TS using TE:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/52163-ts-recording-recording-problem/?p=385265

However, I suggest to developers to implement one of these (only a few minutes to implement):

1) Write the file without full locking it. With this option is possible to open the file (while recording, like a unix pipe) with an external program. This is similar to the requested functionality but using temp files instead of network.

2) Add another button close to "Save" named "Stream". The function is identical to "Save", except it doesn't write fo a file but to one UDP socket.

Please, reconsider to add this.

Thank you!

Edited by userip

a) is already handled in this way. You can open the ongoing recording without problems with the VLC player or TSPlayer.

If a program can't open it, the problem is in the file opening part of this program. It is trying to get exclusive file access, which is not posbil while a other program is still writing the file.

B)

Sorry, but there is almost no time left to develop TransEdit further. DVBViewer Pro and the Recording Service eat it all.

So only things that are important for (internal) developing purpose resp. TransEdit as a test platform are done, no user requests anymore.

If you have a card that is blindscan capable and supported by crazyscan, you should consider EBSPro. With this tool you can stream to many different analysers including transedit and there is also a server for your smartphone, which is very useful when adjusting a sat dish :)

Snap26.png Snap27.png

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm really interested on this functionality. As writing to UDP socket is fairly similar to write to a file, I suggest to add another button close to "SAVE" with the funtionality of "STREAM". The changes are minimal:

1) In the Settings window, in Analyzer section, insert another textbox (like "Output Directory") with the name "UDP Streaming Address" (you can insert here the target address, for example "127.0.0.1:1234").

2) Duplicate in in the source the function for "save to a file", and in the new function change the code for write in the UDP socket.

I feel a less than 30 minutes of coding. And the advantages will be huge.

Please, can you consider this?

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm waiting for the implemention of the "Streaming" funciton like the "Save to a file".

The implementation is near indentical to the current function that saves to a file, but instead it sends to a UDP ip:port (unicast).

Why not support it?

Thank you!