Ultra HD Test SES

fxv1

Ultra HD Test SES on ASTRA 28.2E

I can get a stream working via this test channel but it is very choppy, do I need a new receiver?

The other HD Channels work fine, no frames dropped.

Anyone having good results. If yes what device are you using for Freesat DVB-S2

My device is AzureWave AD-SP400 DVB-S2.

Frank

Transponder: 2.038
Frequency : 12.441 GHz
Polarisation: Vertical
Symbol Rate : 29.5 MS/s
DVB-S2
Modulation: QPSK
Edited by fxv1
do I need a new receiver?

Wrong direction. The receiver doesn't matter. The question is whether 4k HEVC video can be decoded fast enough on your PC. So you need a good video decoder (try the latest LAV Filters) and a very powerful CPU or a graphics card that provides hardware HEVC decoding.

Important for this is the Graphics card:

The best choices for this are:

Nvidia GTX 950 or higher (960, 970, 980, 980Ti, Titan X)

or an

Intel Skylake build in GPU

Those have a hardware decoder for HEVC build in.

I think a non HEVC GPU in combination with a Skylake CPU will work as well, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

A HEVC GPU with a non skylake CPU works of course.

On the AMD side I don't know if the 300 Series / Fury (X) are capable of doing this.

Off course an upgrade makes only sense when more UHD channels are available and if you use at least a 1440p monitor instead of FullHD (or even better a 4k monitor/tv for native UHD TV)

Only the NVidia cards have an HDMI 2.0 output. (not the Skylake CPUs)(so if you would use a HDMI 2.0 based Monitor/TV you only choice right now is NVidia)

Most 4k Monitors will have a DP input -> depends on the skylake motherbaord, some have an DP output. The Nvidia cards normally have an DP output.

I don't recommend using a HDMI 1.4 for 4k, because you are limited to 30 fps.

Edited by Clemens123
  • Like 1

Wrong direction. The receiver doesn't matter. The question is whether 4k HEVC video can be decoded fast enough on your PC. So you need a good video decoder (try the latest LAV Filters) and a very powerful CPU or a graphics card that provides hardware HEVC decoding.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a R9 270X which plays youtube 4K VPG videos well enough. see picture here

https://7b66d766-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/soundsokok/tech-links/videos/4K%201.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7cqGZ6-z3XCqufdypPyaSfJ7kfVkJwMwtV9KaE4HuTb9WTJC3MZEPl4J6F49xkY7RTmnQCpFjj3Dsd7mQbD7LA4kvQBjwrrmYpZ4EnPEMkK3-4STAkZgAKDs33eTA2XWvjWpvEuEG2aAHgsi5qTkwyqQfLDT47NTaGa3nUR7Nso2lQOscTwrPzA7o_UUHLYWRDUf_yeuJ8NMpIxHquaAq8CY0EkKN_V9Fjqhyyrd19p1N-Ekzeo%3D&attredirects=0

I Have DVBViewer setup with LAV filters. My signal says 93% on Freesat and the stream goes up to approx 22mB/s at times on the 4K test transmission.

Using DVBViewer 5500 and latest AMD CCC.

Edited by fxv1
Yes I have a R9 270X which plays youtube 4K VPG videos well enough

Doesn't say much about the capability to play 4k HEVC DVB streams that are much more demanding. Your equipment doesn't look like being sufficient. Check the CPU load.

Doesn't say much about the capability to play 4k HEVC DVB streams that are much more demanding. Your equipment doesn't look like being sufficient. Check the CPU load.

Hi Griga, looks like my CPU is maxing out due to my GPU being incapable of decoding HEVC.

This pic explains:

https://8618975c-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/tecchie2011/dvb_pi/4K%2022.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7cqImqLGBMb9DPWcFG26Czv03kzRwyyzE1KK9lBoxmzvT4qdKiiDiBRen-NGCny9CGoGfuePI1vtUwzYQAYNWLpoASgDF2wA1Ztyby488CFQ5_xz620PQXQjYZjyheV2blbyjYYNdW9kJfo49GuJuBTOnOhoxzf7VptKh5lxJ5p8cs2kcp_wT69jK8VryViznadHvWFqSGq70UMPDWnr5kkmx0koVg%3D%3D&attredirects=0

Important for this is the Graphics card:

The best choices for this are:

Nvidia GTX 950 or higher (960, 970, 980, 980Ti, Titan X)

or an

Intel Skylake build in GPU

Those have a hardware decoder for HEVC build in.

I think a non HEVC GPU in combination with a Skylake CPU will work as well, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

A HEVC GPU with a non skylake CPU works of course.

On the AMD side I don't know if the 300 Series / Fury (X) are capable of doing this.

We must be cautious with our hopes for Skylake in HTPCs.

Intel Skylake has a built in hardware decoder for HEVC 8 bit resolution.

HEVC 10 bit resolution will be decoded with GPU acceleration. It remains to be seen how well this will work and which processors / iGP will be fast enough.

This became clear with the presentation of Skylake at the intel developer forum last week (data sheet).

Unfortunately HEVC 8 bit is more or less useless, as UHD live TV will be in HEVC 10 bit, as well as UHD BluRay. The UHD test channel from ASTRA is already encoded in HEVC 10 bit.

In addition, Skylake has no HDMI 2.0 (necessary for 4K at 60 Hz) and no HDCP 2.2 support built in. HDCP 2.2 is the copy protection used for UHD BluRays and most likely for UHD streaming (Netflix, Amazon, etc.). HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 must be added by additional chips at the motherboard, which is possible, according to Intel. Intel has one, called "Alpine Ridge". It will increase the price of the motherboard by about USD 20.- (estimated by Anandtech).

AMD has no graphics card with a HDMI 2.0 output connector up to now.

:wacko:

Edited by awehring

4K HEVC Encoder Accelerator Cards, I wonder if a decoder exists.

http://www2.advantech.com/nc/newsletter/NCG/Video/videoProcessing.html

Not sure when these PCI express cards will be available but interesting hardware.

videoProcessing_pic2-1.jpg

Anyone with any knowledge please share.

Frank

Edited by fxv1
  • 2 months later...

Lately my sound has been problematic.

For example when a programme finishes (eg BBC1), the sound is lost for about 10-15 seconds then it picks up again. I tried using different settings in the audio setup, no change. Rebuild playback always works. Any ideas ?

I'm using optical to a SONY STR-DN860

Video is always fine.

Many Thanks

Modulation: QPSK