Shutdown after recording and protection against shutdown

klosz007

Hello,

I'm a new DVBViewer user and this is my first post here :)

I noticed the following behavior:

- when Recording Service is set to put computer to sleep after scheduled recording ends (I don't want my HTPC to be on after recording finishes)

- and when I'm streaming TV over IP from my HTPC to my home PC

- and when option to protect computer against going to sleep when streaming is enabled in RS

- and when scheduled recording ends

then my HTPC goes to sleep and streaming to another computer ends.

Is this by design or is this a bug ? I think option to protect against going to sleep should prevail over option to got to sleep after recording ends.

Cheers,

Zbyszek

Is this by design or is this a bug ?

By design. It is stated clearly in the Recording Service Options:

The recording service prevents PC sleep mode triggered by users, other programs or energy settings while clients are connected.

...but not shutdown triggered by Recording Service timers. In this case the Recording Service simply does what you told it to do. There were already internal discussions about this topic, with the result that It is almost impossible for the Recording Service to decide which of two conflicting demands should get a higher priority.

One way to work around this issue it is to use the Windows idle timeout instead of telling the RecordingService to put the PC to sleep. That means, go to the Windows energy options and configure the PC to sleep after let's say 15 minutes without (user) activity. The option mentioned above prevents this timeout, because while streaming is going on the Recording Service sets a kind of "busy" flag that is respected by Windows. The PC will go to sleep some minutes after streaming is finished, provided no other important activity like recording is going on and no other application or service has set the busy flag.

Hi,

Thanks for detailed explanation. In my case idle timeout doesn't seem to work either (I tried this) because I use Recording Service on my HTPC at the same time as a backend to Kodi. And Kodi itself seems to prevent PC from going to sleep :(

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about it while experimenting with DVBViewer and Kodi.

In fact it is difficult to decide for Recoding service. But why not add a configuration option for user to decide ? Eg. in Web server options, give not only option to protect from sleep/stanby if clients are streaming but also "protect from scheduled shutdown if clients are streaming". Or another activity in scheduler - not only Sleep but 'Sleep if no clients are streaming'.

That would not only help remote IP clients but also local (Kodi in my case) - I could set the activity to Sleep after recording and PC wouldn't shutdown if I was watching TV on Kodi while recording rended.

For now I set post-recording activity to None but that leaves PC on after recording.