Problems with surround

barnsta

my dears!

please help, i have been trying to get surround working with my av receiver for example bbchd one, i realize not all channels broadcast 5.1 all the time, however i cannot get any 5.1. i get 5.1 with WMC all the time, i know i have to do something with AC3 filter but have tried so many permutations and filters, i just cant get it to work, apart form that what a lovely programme!

My set up has an asus xonar ds sound card with optical out to my marantz receiver. it really is doing my head in!

thanks! support file attached

support.zip

Sadly very little TV in the UK is in surround sound, usually only music concerts. You can see on the bottom line of DVBViewer if it is receiving 2.0 or 5.1. The fact that you regularly get surround sound in WMC suggests that something is upscaling from stereo.

In the AC3 Filer you can set the Output Format to 5.1 which will help, remember to do it in both the Main and SPDIF panes if you're using the SPDIF output to your amp. Also you have to right-click on the speaker icon down at the bottom right, select Playback Devices / Speakers / Configure and select 5.1 there. All of those should be set if it's working OK in WMC but they're worth checking. The only other possibility that I can think of is checking your sound drivers if there's a config section.

Are you just getting audio from the front two speakers or stereo rather than surround sound but out of all (or the front and back pairs) of the speakers?

Sadly very little TV in the UK is in surround sound, usually only music concerts. You can see on the bottom line of DVBViewer if it is receiving 2.0 or 5.1. The fact that you regularly get surround sound in WMC suggests that something is upscaling from stereo.

In the AC3 Filer you can set the Output Format to 5.1 which will help, remember to do it in both the Main and SPDIF panes if you're using the SPDIF output to your amp. Also you have to right-click on the speaker icon down at the bottom right, select Playback Devices / Speakers / Configure and select 5.1 there. All of those should be set if it's working OK in WMC but they're worth checking. The only other possibility that I can think of is checking your sound drivers if there's a config section.

Are you just getting audio from the front two speakers or stereo rather than surround sound but out of all (or the front and back pairs) of the speakers?

Simon P you are a legend, got it working in DVBViewer but now need to configure Kodi. as not working in that.....

thanks again, your support is very much appreciated.

Edited by barnsta

ac3 filter settings, i hadn't applied to SPDIF main menu.

I am trying to use with Kodi, but now cannot get kodi to do the same, i like kodi because of interface, however i may have a play around with DVBViewer skins etc.

any help with making DVBViewer look good appreciated. can you series record on DVBV?

thanks