Raspberry Pi2 + Windows 10 Core IoT

mch

Hello,

any chance to get working DVBV Recording service on Windows 10 Core IoT for Raspberry Pi2 ? I know that DVBLogic has the solution for RaspberryPi2 but only for its linux distribution.

I know there is a thread in german section about this but I dont understand it much even with the translator.

Can you please summarize the possibilities or the reasons why it is not possible neither now nor in future? I would welcome such possibility even if I would have to pay another special licence for this :)

Thank you very much

Hehe, nice idea, but: no way.. Don't dream of it. Even not in distant future. Really. As sad as it sounds.

The devs here say it would be even impossible for them to compile DVBViewer in 64Bit, which is sad already. But coming from that statement there is no chance at all that DVBViewer or RS runs on any ARM platform. Sad as it is. But it seems there is a lot of bit manipulation done in the code, which is the only reason to have issues with 64 Bit. Those issues are even worse when porting from x86 (which is your usual desktop PC) to ARM (which is Raspberry Pi, Smartphones and most Tablet Computers).

Aside from that Windows 10 Core IoT is based on Windows CE which has some differences compared to Windows 32... probably there'd be some things that the RS might be missing. Not sure if CE has the concept of services at all, today. Also, I'm pretty sure there are no drivers for DVB hardware for Windows CE out there... also CE probably also lacks BDA support, which is what modern software uses to talk to DVB hardware in Windows.

About BDA I thought it could be done like in Windows Server 2008-2012, just copy correct files from windows7/8 desktop :)

I thouth the conception of Windows 10 is that one application should work on different architectures, am I wrong?

Ok, I stop dreaming :)

I really doubt that there are ARM binaries for the BDA parts. Not sure, though..

As for apps that run everywhere: That is only true for "universal apps", i.e. Apps build specifically for Windows 10 and the Universal Windows Platform (which allows to run .net software but also silverlight and web apps). From what I see this means old "Metro" or "Modern UI" Apps from Windows 8 can now be allowed to run on Smartphones more easily and the other way round, Smartphone apps can be installed on Windows 10 from the App store and run there pretty nice. But those apps do not include binaries for a specific hardware. Those apps are either web apps, i.e. websites packed into one file and using specific APIs to access the system, or .NET apps, which is some kind of byte code, similar to what Java did (only that .net always was a lot faster than Java).

So that is not a completely new concept at all. It was there on Windows 8 already. .Net was there even much longer and in theory already platform and hardware independent (I even ran some .Net software build for Windows Mobile back in the days on a XP PC once, it worked quite fine). It's only the next logical step: Include all these platform independent technologies deep into the OS and give them a decent API to control a lot of stuff (notifications, special hardware, ...).

But old time windows-only apps like DVBViewer and RS do not benefit from that, sadly... they are a completely different thing, down under their hood and can not be easily changed.

Edit: Ok, Tjod was faster...

Edited by Moses

Maybe in the future you will take source code of DVBV and through new MSVC you will get universal app?... I know it is science fiction :)

Thank you guys for explanation. Now I see that it was just marketing campaign from Microsoft about the universal applications. You still have develop the app for each architecture and the only advantage is that you can deploy it only via one package which will contain set of different binaries for different architectures :/ or use something like .net which is architecture independent but limited in low level funcionality.

Nah.. it is more than marketing campaign. Universal Apps can have quite direct access to hardware (as direct as win32 apps have, which is not really direct either, and that is a good thing). So universal apps are quite a thing. But a new thing. Old apps are still old apps and there is no way to change them into something new. Microsoft can never change that.

DVBViewer and RS are developed in Delphi 7 and doesn't use MSVC at all (only some .dll for hardware access are using it).

And even porting the projects to a current Delphi version (necessary for a x64 version) is to much work to make it happen.