gmail email alerts

xtonys

Hi

I noticed today that Recording Service was setup to send notifications to my gmail account.

For some reason this was not happening.

I found there is a setting in gmail to activate less secure apps.

Once changed, Recording service started again.

Login to Gmail on a computer - Gmail settings > Connected Sites and Apps > Allow less secure apps = ON

Some non-Google apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which could leave your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps (which we recommend) or choose to use them despite the risks.

Tony

Another not so scary solution for gmail is to create a new gmail account and for that allow "less secure apps".

Use the settings for that but send emails to the original gmail address.

I think so.

Well, the Xepg has similar problems with sending emails (it uses the Indy components from Delphi XE2).

Here part of Xepg help:

NOTE: Google now requires a stricter form of autenticification called OAuth 2.0. Currently Xepg does not support that. You can circumvent it by allowing "less secure apps" logging in to your gmail (GMail account -> settings -> Accounts and import -> Other settings for Google-account -> Security check).
If still problems, try to use Method: SSL v23.
Another not so scary solution for gmail is to create a new gmail account and for that allow "less secure apps", use the settings for that but in the "To:" have your original gmail address.
Maybe your internet provider offers a mail account you can use for sending emails from Xepg.

I did ask at the embarcadero forum for a solution, but the suggested one required at least Delphi XE5; a high price to pay just for that.
In the case of Xepg and probably RS as well, it can be circumvented by using any SMTP server not requiring OAuth 2.0 to SEND the emails.