hotbird13b and Astra2/Fsat on 1 dish tips TBS 6985 quad tunner

ncoredump

Hi all

Just wanted to share my experiences with setting up Astra2/Hotbird13 on 1 dish with DVBViewer and TBS 6985 dvb-s card.

This will cover a few cavets :)

Originally I managed to setup my dish with a poor quality sat motor that I acquired from Maplin electronics yet it was still very problematic at times.. when Halloween came round some one fired a stray firework and it messed up the dish alignment completely .. then some one else burned out the motor trying to re-align it with Diseqc commands from a STB, so I tried to re-align with out motor but could never even get hotbird13b back again questions started cropping up as to how it ever worked, as when compared to a compass it was not really east enough ?

So I decided to buy a completely new dish from satellite superstore this a multi-angle bracket setup (highly recommended over a motorised).

When I took down the old dish I discovered 2 washers underneath the lnb arm ?? strange

The next set of problems relate to the quad tuner TBS card .. the BDA driver reports the order of the tuners back to the dvb software's incorrectly and intermittently eg: Tuners: B A C D

This causes a great deal of headake when trying to scan the sats as you can easily miss the fact that the softwares selecting the wrong tuner!..

DVBViewer every now and again as a result of the shitty BDA driver behaving that way it would start up and be on the wrong tuner then you get a black screen and you think you've lost quality in the signal as DVBViewer is still reporting the signal on Tuner A while it is trying to receive from tuner B arrrtrgh!!"@£!$

After much struggling in this respect I got my self a £10 meter and used it in error and still could not get any joy..

After a bit more reading and researching I learned that in order to use the meter effectively you need a receiver to be trying to lock on to a relevant transponder but when I managed tune in 1 sat the BDA driver would stuff me all over again.. and I should also mention TBS's IPDATA program that can show you if you have a signal/quality/lock on a specific sats transponder but not all of them will even have something on them and seems very hit and miss either way this only added to my frustration as I knew it was locked onto something but no software or the box could tell me what transponder it was hearing and of course my cards own TBS blind scan software does not work! cheers TBS! .. so I decided to search google for "dvb software to identify satellite".. the first one that popped up "FastSat Finder" .. which is frankly one of those waste of space programs that no one in there right mind would pay for as the demo/trail is just a fake app.. so still some what pissed off I continued to search and discovered one of the best pieces of software for DVB i've seen for ages!!! enter Prog Finder.. this piece of software is simply superb and works and some how does not suffer with the wrong card problem as DVBViewer beta & Schibo pvr does.. and best of all is donation ware.

Just to clarify this is my setup

Twin lnbs on multiangle bracket on 85inch dish! - I only wanted a 60 but they sent me the wrong one lol

4 port disecq lnb1 and lnb2 are on port 1 and 2 respectively

The receiver port connects to my 4 way distribution amp via `LNB1 IN` which feeds my triplex sockets from the `DOWNLINK` port..

So how did I tune them in !?

Simple in the end!..

Select Satellite in Prog finder ...

Connect the the £10 sat meter to a lnb & reciever .. get signal to 80%+ Select correct Diseqc Port - VERY important! ... then find a transponder that locks in the list.. exact same as TBS's util but Prog Finder just works tons better for some reason, perhaps out of date transponder list no helping, any how then you can do a scan on the relevant sat knowing that you are actually scanning the sat you are looking for.

hope this info might be of use to some one ..

good luck and god speed lol