Chinese UI for RS

allanlee

Just updated to RS 1.3.3

Tried to switch to Chinese language, but seems that this option is not working and the interface remains English. Other language options work. (Yes same behavior in previous versions)

Is it because of translation not complete?

I'd be happy to make one if possible... Is there a "language file template" (or equivalent) available?

Thanks!

Edited by allanlee
Is it because of translation not complete?

It is because there is no translation at all. See here:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/13445-web-interface-for-DVBViewer-pro/?p=199642

For now the rc_chinese.lng is simply a copy of the english language file. It does need translation (some of it can simply be copied from the DVBViewer language files, but I didn't know which was the fitting one...).

Obviously nobody did the job up to now. It you want to do it rather use the current rc_english.lng file as template, since rc_chinese.lng is quite out-dated. As far as I can see even the second line in rc_chinese.lng

lngCharset=Big5

is not needed anymore because I can find no Recording Service code that is actually using it. The most important thing is Unicode (UTF-8 without BOM) as character coding. Notepad++ is a good text editor for doing something like this because it gives you full control over character coding.

Well, in the end you have to try how it works... the whole thing looks like pioneer work :)

First draft attached here.

The WebUI changed to Chinese after I replace the file in

C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language

But tray program is still in English... Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

drs_chs_20160609.zip

If I'm right the tray program doesn't use the language settings, but instead the windows language settings.

But I'm not sure how it exactly works and why it is handled this way.

But tray program is still in English... Did I miss anything?

No. The tray tool checks the language of the Windows user account with GetUserDefaultLCID. Unfortunately Chinese is not considered, so it comes down to English as default language. It has to be added in the next release. Which of these LCIDs match the language file that you are creating?

Anyway, I think the method used by the tray tool is no good solution. It should use the same language setting as the Web Interface. I will try to find out how it can be done...

• Like 1

No. The tray tool checks the language of the Windows user account with GetUserDefaultLCID. Unfortunately Chinese is not considered, so it comes down to English as default language. It has to be added in the next release. Which of these LCIDs match the language file that you are creating?

Anyway, I think the method used by the tray tool is no good solution. It should use the same language setting as the Web Interface. I will try to find out how it can be done...

Thanks! I'll always be happy to help in translation.

I'm running RS in Simplified Chinese version of Windows 7 64bit. When I set to other languages (e.g. German) both WebUI and tray will change, but not Chinese.

I also noticed that some text fields do not appear in rc_chinese.lng, is there another language file (or equivalent) elsewhere used by the tray application?

The tray application only provides the context menu, a warning dialogue if no local DVBViewer client is running and the RS shuts the PC down. And the small info bubbles about recordings.

The RS configuration tool uses the DVBViewer language file. Because they share many text parts.

So if the rc_chinese.lng is selected the chinese.lng should be used for the configuration toll.

(I don't know how tolerant the file name matching is).

In contrast to the rc_chinese.lng the chinese.lng doesn't use UTF-8.

If you are still missing a place to translate some parts. Give a more specific example.

PS: if you have a final version feel free to post it there: http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/forum/18-language-files/

Got it, now understand. - I'm actually referring to the RS configuration tool.

--

My current condition: Windows 7 64bit Simplified Chinese

Language settings in DVBViewer, RS Configuration Tool, RS WebUI all are Chinese

The rc_chinese.lng file I posted earlier replaced to C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language

Language appearance: DVBViewer - Simplified Chinese; RS WebUI - Chinese as my translation; RS Configuration Tool - English; RS Tray (right-click menu and bubbles) - English.

What I don't understand is some text in RS Configuration Tool does not appear in rc_chinese.lng, for example "Don't shutdown if a recording is due within (minutes)", "High priority reduces the influence of other programs." "Email Server (SMTP)", etc. However these texts could be converted to, for example, German, if in RS Configuration Tool the language is set to deutsch. So I suppose there must be somewhere else to store these translation texts. And it's unlikely to be Chinese (Simplified).lng under C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language (i.e. DVBViewer language file) because according to Tjod this file should have been used already for RS Configuration Tool, but here it's still English.

Hope I made it clear - feel free if more details needed.

Thanks again for looking into this issue.

Try renaming "Chinese (Simplified).lng" to chinese.lng or rc_chinese.lng to rc_Chinese (Simplified).lng.

Then the RS Configuration Tool should use it.

And if strings are missing in the Chinese (Simplified).lng you can copy them from the English.lng

You can use the Language Editor for the DVBViewer language file (is mixes up the entry's in the file a bit, which can be annoying if you use a different editor for the most part). Which makes it easy to find new (missing) or old removed entry's.
http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/15267-language-editor/

RS Tray (right-click menu and bubbles) - English.

This will need a program update to work (see post from Griga)

Did some "research" as well as try & error myself. I think I found the problem.

Under C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\Language There are 2 other lng files Chinese (Simplified).lng and chinese.lng, as well as 2 more with .bak. But no other languages.

chinese.lng contains all the texts in RS config tool but they're actually English, Chinese (Simplified).lng is a previous version of DVBViewer translation but also included all the English text contents in chinese.lng (which is different from C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language\Chinese (Simplified).lng.

I guess when set to Chinese, it will use the lng files in C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\Language for RS config tool, but when set to any other language it will use the lng in C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language.

It's quite confusing to me with such behavior & "wide-spread" lng files. Anyway I'll try to complete the translations and see how everything goes.

Only the language files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVBViewer\Language" are used.

In the RS (web interface, Configuration Tool) you can only select rc_*.lng files.

If you select rc_chinese.lng the RS Configuration Tool will use chinese.lng for its GUI.

The files in C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\Language are generated by old DVBViewer versions.

This behaviour is changed in newer DVBViewer versions.

If you start the DVBViewer Pro with the -debug parameter it will generate a Missing_*.log there.

Every time the DVBViewer tries to translate something and it is not in the currently selected .lng file it will add the missing entry to the .log

There is no such option for the RS Configuration Tool.

• Like 1
It's quite confusing to me with such behavior & "wide-spread" lng files.

Not only for you.

It's the result of 15 years of development where often enough "historical" things had to be considered and kept for compatibility reasons. Quite difficult to clean it all up ;)

Please note that the *.lng files (without rc_) are not UTF-8, but coded according to the local Windows code page for non-unicode programs.

If you start the DVBViewer Pro with the -debug parameter it will generate a Missing_*.log there.

Every time the DVBViewer tries to translate something and it is not in the currently selected .lng file it will add the missing entry to the .log

Thanks a lot. This is helpful and make it much clearer.

I almost finish the tranlation, will test & feedback here.

• 1 month later...