Recording Service in Virtual environment

I want to try to run Recording Service inside in Virtual machine running on Linux, what virtualization platform would you recommend, VirtualBox, VMWare, KVM or anything else?

Or is there any Linux software that can stream DVB-T channels in a format that DVBViewer can use?

I already have Tvheadend installed but I overlooked SAT>IP functionality so I enabled it. But I can't find how to use it in DVBViewer, I added "RTSP Network Device" with IP address and port in Hardware section of Options, but I cannot guess how to use it.

Adding the Sat>IP device (set IP and port), change the Type to DVB-T. And try a channel scan in the DVBViewer.

If everything works correct, to should work like a local TV card.

I have been running recording service in a Vmware ESXi VM for a couple of years now (on windows), and it works absolutely beautifully.

I'm using a HD Homerun Network Tuner (DVB-C cable to ethernet tuner). This has the added benefit of the tuner being placed i a closer where my cable enters the house, whereas my server is in the other end of the house.

Perfect solution if you ask me.

• 3 months later...

I made working recording service on Windows XP guest using Virtualbox and Ubuntu Trusty as host. But there were disruptions when playing TV stream and both memory and CPU consumption was quite high, so I left this way.

Then I was away for few months but now I was able to make DVBViewer work as SAT>IP client with TVHeadend as SAT>IP server. The problem was in configuration of TVHeadend, it is quite complicated and unintuitive and THV has some bugs, so I spent quite a time with it but it is working, finally.