Unable to detect channels on DVB-S card

desmondCH

Evening all, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I have a DVB-T card, which runs a channel scan and picks up what it can just fine.

I also have a DVB-S2 card, which is completely unable to pick up any channels whatsoever.... When I use Windows Media Centre (a win 8 box) it picks them up just fine. I've even managed to get NextPVR to work with the DVBS card, but I want to use DVBViewer!

I'm in the UK so scanning on 28.2, but can't get anything - can anyone help please? I know the card works as MCE and NextPVR are picking up on it, and I know the software works as the DVB-T card is working fine. But no matter what I do (and I have played with the settings a LOT) I cant get DVBViewer or TransEdit to pick up the satellite channels... please help!

let me know what diagnostic info you need if any? Thanks - i've done what i can to read faq's etc, but have got totally and utterly stuck!

Alright, update to see if a bit more information helps:

The problematic card:

Tuner Card: TBS 6981 DVB-S/S2 Dual DBA, with 2 cables connected to the dish

There is a dish on the roof that cannot move

The tuner card that works fine in DVBViewer pro:

Hauppage Nova-DT Dual DVB-T

Both cards work in media centre.

Both cards work in NextPVR (it found 376 channels on the DVB-S card)

The DVB-S setup info from NextPVR that works is:

CI/CAM: None - instances 0

DiSEqC: None (Single LNB)

Satellite A: 0282 Astra 2E/2F/2G (28.2E)

LOF1: 9750

Switch: 11700

LOF2: 10600

I hit scan, and bingo! An example of a successfully detected channel would be ITV, showing Freq: 10906/V/22000 SID:10240

In Transedit, the settings I am using for the card are:

Type: satellite

Name: DVB-S UK (think i renamed it at some point, cant remember why)

Position: 28.2 E

DiSEqC: None

LOF SW: 11700

On the right hand screen of transedit, I get 81 transponders. If I pick the ITV frequecy above, 10906, V, 22000, 5/6, BSkyB and hit Scan Selected, it doesnt find anything. It scans frequencies first, PAT goes yellow, but shortly afterwards PAT, PMT and SDT go red, and NIT stays grey. Filter 1 is on both, Filter 2 is on Both, Filter 3 is unticked.

Incidentally, in that list of 81 transponders, some are blue, seems to correspond to the DVB-S2 being ticked?

In DVBViewerPro, if I go to reception settings/channel search,

I chose the DVB-S reception type

I chose the DVB-S UK transponder list (again, one i renamed. mouse hover indicates DVB-S_0282.ini

Reception settings:

Name: DVB-S UK

LNB: universal

LOF SW: 11700

DiSEqC: None

Hit apply, hit scan

it never finds anything :(

support.zip and transponder file attached now that I've figured out how to do that!

last thing to mention: am in the UK, south of London in deepest, darkest Kent.

Thanks for any help, this is really frustrating...

support.zip

DVB-S_0282.ini

Ooooh, i was excited about that - i'm afraid despite killing and disabling the services (and the nextpvr one, and then rebooting) still no joy...

The TBS 6981 is a dual tuner card. In the file TransEdit.ini -> [Hardware] section I see

Name.0=TBS 6981 BDA DVBS/S2 B Tuner/Demod

Name.1=TBS 6981 BDA DVBS/S2 A Tuner/Demod

First B, then A, so TransEdit always uses B. Have you already tried to scan with the second tuner A? For this purpose you need to disable the first one: Settings -> Hardware -> select first tuner -> Usage = Don't use.

StandardInterface.0=1

Usually the Hardware -> Use standard interface option should be switched off.

Edited by Griga

Updated the driver which is confirmed as working on the latest version, and have tried disabling one & then the other of the receivers, and even switching off the Use Standard interface.... all sadly to no avail. 0 channels found :/

really appreciate the suggestions, thank you! Dont suppose you have any more?

How do you supply two tuners with a Single LNB?

Tuner Card: TBS 6981 DVB-S/S2 Dual DBA, with 2 cables connected to the dish

Must be at least a twin ;)

er, what config changes do i need to make then? The card does indeed have 2 cables going in... dont know where to find more LNB info - back of the dish?

DiSEqC: None may be the wrong setting. It may have a different meaning in nextPVR. There is outdoor equipment that requires DiSEqC even if it only provides a single satellite position.

Try Pos A/Opt A in TransEdit (don't forget to click Apply on the left side after the change) and then "Scan All".

• 2 weeks later...

no diseq positions have worked at all. i know the card works, i know the reception is ok (2 other bits of software working fine) I know DVBViewer works (DVB-T card working) what do I do? please help!!

(PS. latest version of DVBViewer to download appears to be infected with trojan win32/Varpes.N!cl )

Edited by desmondCH

Sorry, no more ideas. Without knowing the type of outdoor equipment it's hard to tell what's going on. Are there additional receivers in the house connected to the dish or only your two tuners?

latest version of DVBViewer to download appears to be infected with trojan win32/Varpes.N!cl

Fore sure a false positive. Check it on VirusTotal.

The DVB-S2 tuner is a single card, with two satellite cables connected to it. I have attached photos of the dish itself - it looks like there is one disconnected cable, which I think used to feed another receiver elsewhere in the house (no longer anything beyond this computer connecting now) and the computer has two cables connected to it that run back to the dish. Dish appears to be fixed. Hope that helps?

post-153443-0-06810500-1468662343_thumb.jpg

post-153443-0-11506800-1468662344_thumb.jpg

post-153443-0-21697400-1468662345_thumb.jpg

Well, it looks like a Quad LNB (though not very professionally installed), not a Quattro LNB plus switch that may require DiSEqC. I guess that's why it works with NextPVR set to DiSEqC = None (on the same PC, I assume). In theory it should work with the same settings in DVBViewer. I have no idea why it doesn't. Sorry, no better news...