RADEON RX480 demo using DVBViewer 4k video

fxv1

Hi , just thought I would share my experience with you. Got my Radeon RX480 yesterday and works very well with DVBViewer. I can decode HEVC on the fly so works for Astra UHD broadcasts 4K @ 50 fps.

Made a video if you care to take a look. If anyone wants to ask anything about the setup feel free to do so.

Frank

Interesting to see, thank you. Just wondering how the new card is doing this... the DXVA2 hardware decoding ist not working in the LAV Video properties you show

I had to use the DXVA native mode which I beleive is all you need to turn on for the decoding to work. I had to disable HD on the LAV filter as that was interfering with the picture when I was watching HD transmissions.

I also had to experiment with the latency and eventually got that to work decently well. Not sure why it says HW accelerator none on the LAV filter ? I was wondering how to manage that property but could not find any info on that anywhere. Might be a CODEC tweak perhaps somewhere.

I think you should first install LAV 0.68.1, not the nightly you have now. And set software deinterlacing to "none".

Can you run DXVA-Checker and see if you have the correspondent hardware capability?

If LAV says no hardware accelerator is used, then most likely that´s the truth.

In other forums people cannot get their RX480 to decode HEVC with DXVA2 in hardware either.

HEVC in DXVA2 is still a little bit of a gamble though, my Skylake GPU reports HEVC Main 10 capabilities in the DXVA checker but the DVBViewer hangs the very moment I try to use them.

Just d/l loaded the latest LAV filter. All works fine.

DVB source is saying the stream if HEVC, so the GPU mmust be interacting with the video stream as before with the R9 270x I used to get hardly any picture. I am presuming here the RX480 is doing the decoding now....not sure how to find out if LAV is interfering with this or not.

As for DXVA checker

it is showing me the the rx480 as a decoder device.

https://sites.google.com/site/soundsokok/pictures

then I see LAV Video decoder as unsupported.... but MS HEVC is available.

You can go to "Settings/Filter" in DVBViewer Pro to see if LAV is in your filter chain.

Could be only a cosmetic bug in LAV or another decoder is activ for HEVC.

Anyway its good to hear it is working. :)

@blasgl: Skylake only supports some kind of (very slow) hybrid decoding for HEVC 10bit

Reg. Skylake: I know I cannot expect too much in HEVC with DXVA but there is a difference between being "very slow" and the media player in question just crashing hard. I tend to blame the Intel drivers here but I really do not know, cannot find anything useful in the web either in terms of workarounds, patches, codecs, etc...

installed the new driver and turned on compatability mode.

video showing sensors and stats here

Both youtube videos are 6 fps ! So for us its impossible to see sth. fluent at all ;)

Important is not only GPU load but at the same time CPU load. Those 2 in relation would show how much GPU acceleration and CPU decoding is done.

The less CPU is needed the more HEVC decoding is done by GPU.

Just wondering how the new card is doing this... the DXVA2 hardware decoding ist not working in the LAV Video properties you show

If you see in LAV Video properties at "active decoder" (while UHD is running):

- avcodec or inactive -> HEVC decoding is normally completely done by CPU

- dxva2n -> HEVC decoding is done by GPU, at least partly

Since your AMD GPU is a new model it's likely that the LAV author would have to do some adjustment to the decoder to make the AMD work properly.

Another test, recording some UHD and play back in DVBViewer and MPC-HC x64. Trying different filters (graphs).

Edited by craig_s

I suspect it is the video capture which is slowing the video down to 6fps. If you look at the status bar in DVBViewer section of the capture it is showing 50fps for UHD freesat video. Also I have taken screenshots of GPU-Z when DVBviwer is running and the GPU memory clock gos down to 300Mhz ...when you launch DVBViewer it shoots up to 2000Mhz does not matter what channel you are viewer (ie same with BBC1 HD). I have now setup some profiles to limit the RX48 to 65C temperature and the Astra demo runs fine.

I have no idea how to find out if the GPU is actually decoding the HEVC content.

HEVC2.JPG

just taken a picture of two DVBviewers ...murray at Wimbledon and also the astra demo running....GPU still at 55C power at 40W, pretty impressive. Before the RX480 this would not run very well.

Long live DVBViewer.

DVB2%20screens.JPG

Just go to Settings/Filter to see which directshow Filters are used.

Anyway ... If it runs smoothly then GPU is used for decoding (99% ^^ ).

Hi, just removed LAV filter from HEVC video decoder......still plays fine.

If in DVBviwer you choose an HEVC decoder for example LAV does that then bypass the GPU decoder for HEVC. My question is really how does DVBViewer know about HW decoders ?

After I recorded UHD and played back by MHC stats below. Indeed it is mentioning LAV for video decoder and DXVA2.. and RX480 as renderermhc.JPG

Using GPU decoding (DXVA) is completely up to the video decoder (in cooperation with the video renderer). DVBViewer does not know how the decoder handles it.

DVBViewer knows nothing about GPU Decoder and doesnt have to know ...

Why you don't check what decoder is used in DVBViewer?

DVBViewer knows nothing about GPU Decoder and doesnt have to know ...

Why you don't check what decoder is used in DVBViewer?

DVBViewer is using LAV for HEVC ....apparently the decoder can co-operate with a GPU but how do you find this out?

Edited by fxv1

Take a look at CPU load while playing HEVC 10bit in DVBViewer.

Seems like its just a cosmetic bug in LAV if it shows "inactive" while playing (and LAV is used).

Yes your theory makes sense. When I launched DVBViewer playing UHD (HEVC content), the cpu load increased by about 5%. Previously when I had the R9 270x it used to peak near 100%.

I suspect it is the video capture which is slowing the video down to 6fps. If you look at the status bar in DVBViewer section of the capture it is showing 50fps for UHD freesat video. Also I have taken screenshots of GPU-Z when DVBviwer is running and the GPU memory clock gos down to 300Mhz ...when you launch DVBViewer it shoots up to 2000Mhz does not matter what channel you are viewer (ie same with BBC1 HD). I have now setup some profiles to limit the RX48 to 65C temperature and the Astra demo runs fine.

I have no idea how to find out if the GPU is actually decoding the HEVC content.

That does not mean 50fps is actually rendered- you need to go to right click > settings > Filters > MadVR/EVR renderer, check average frame rate achieved and frames dropped.

Edited by dvbrewer

I don't have madvr/EVR installed ...LAV does not give stats I could find. EVR Renderer does give stats and a quick shot looks as if it is achieving 50 frames per second.

Just left it running and after 15000 frames it has dropped 18 frames....The picture is not misbehaving. If I get a discontunuity then the picture corrupts. My satellite aerial is a bit obstructed so I guess it is decent enough.

If DVBViewer is saying 50fps on the status bar it seems to be the case. If you look at a few posts earlier where there is a statistics page from MHC64 playing a capture of the video stream it is saying 49.991 frames per second.

Frames%20Dropped.JPG

LAV is a (video) decoder (and source filter but in this case DVB Source is used before the decoder). madVR and (Custom) EVR are video renderers a step after the decoder.

madVR needs to be installed to be able to use it in the DVBViewer.
http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/56725-madvr-renderer-in-DVBViewer-english/
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

EVR is part of Windows and Custom EVR is part of the DVBViewer.

To see renderer statistics in Custom EVR or madVR you need to add a custom command for "Toggle Renderer Stats" ActionID 16398 and set a key binding for it. http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Options_Input

2016-07-10_024133.png

Installed madVR and have this to report. Picture looks good in HD broadcasts. UHD HEVC broadcast does not display a picture (just a black screen)...tried this with LAV and system default decoder no change. Does this VR support UHD. DVB source shows everything running. When I change back to EVR Custom, picture plays OK.

That does not mean 50fps is actually rendered- you need to go to right click > settings > Filters > MadVR/EVR renderer, check average frame rate achieved and frames dropped.

installed madVR and control J (stats) is saying 1 frame dropped every 0.5 of a second (can this be improved?)

Yes your theory makes sense. When I launched DVBViewer playing UHD (HEVC content), the cpu load increased by about 5%.

You should better read what is written. I said already in post #11:

Important is not only GPU load but at the same time CPU load. Those 2 in relation would show how much GPU acceleration and CPU decoding is done.

The less CPU is needed the more HEVC decoding is done by GPU.

Using madVR - LAV needs to be set to 'DXVA2 (copy back)' to show pictures in UHD channels 3840*2160 full screen. In my GTX960 madVR performs rather unstable with DVBViewer + UHD.

I've already reported that in German here. madshi is able to understand that - he IS German ;)

Esp. the D3D fullscreen exclusive modes sometimes cause crashes.

Hopefully your AMD does it better? madshis favourite GPU is AMD.

Edited by craig_s

I don't have madvr/EVR installed ...LAV does not give stats I could find. EVR Renderer does give stats and a quick shot looks as if it is achieving 50 frames per second.

Just left it running and after 15000 frames it has dropped 18 frames....The picture is not misbehaving. If I get a discontunuity then the picture corrupts. My satellite aerial is a bit obstructed so I guess it is decent enough.

If DVBViewer is saying 50fps on the status bar it seems to be the case. If you look at a few posts earlier where there is a statistics page from MHC64 playing a capture of the video stream it is saying 49.991 frames per second.

Yes this looks good :thumbsup:. It's just the screen capture with low FPS that made it look poor.

• Like 1

You should better read what is written. I said already in post #11:

Using madVR - LAV needs to be set to 'DXVA2 (copy back)' to show pictures in UHD channels 3840*2160 full screen. In my GTX960 madVR performs rather unstable with DVBViewer + UHD.

I've already reported that in German here. madshi is able to understand that - he IS German ;)

Esp. the D3D fullscreen exclusive modes sometimes cause crashes.

Hopefully your AMD does it better? madshis favourite GPU is AMD.

Not sure what is to gain by using DXVA copy back....GPU load goes from 20% to about 95% when using DXVA copy back.

What is to be gained by using madVR againt Custom VR ?

I have been using CustomVR from W7 onwards. Someone mentioned to try madVR. Just tested to see if there were any benefits.

I have been using CustomVR from W7 onwards. Someone mentioned to try madVR. Just tested to see if there were any benefits.

Sorry, I didn't suggest it, I was just saying it as an alternative that you might have installed, sorry for the confusion :blush:.

I think madVR (+LAV) need some adjustment to 4k HEVC. Thats a long (never ending) process - new 4k hardwares appear - weekly? The 2 developers should be 200 or so..

madVR is a very complex thing. Aproach should be carefully. The picture benefits come by scaling and dithering. Does 4k HEVC need that? Not really I think. Or not in the way it is done with SD video.

Edited by craig_s

Sorry, I didn't suggest it, I was just saying it as an alternative that you might have installed, sorry for the confusion :blush:.

No worries, we're all friends on this forum.

I think madVR (+LAV) need some adjustment to 4k HEVC. Thats a long (never ending) process - new 4k hardwares appear - weekly? The 2 developers should be 200 or so..

madVR is a very complex thing. Aproach should be carefully. The picture benefits come by scaling and dithering. Does 4k HEVC need that? Not really I think. Or not in the way it is done with SD video.

Yes indeed, delving into all the programmable option on the software it looks very complex. It seems to cater for a lot of scenarious etc. To be honest you would need to be at a developer level to appreciate and understand all the options. But we need such developers as they bridge the connection to the new hardware we are seeing both from NVidia and AMD.

Hey fxv1 if you're still here could you do me a favour and check an UHD-Video?

It shows some (rare in HEVC) scenes with banding in the backgrounds and I'm just wondering which part or parts of the playback are the reason.

e.g. how much is in the video itself? Then LAV filters, Renderer? And finally the GPU and TV?

I think on your AMD + LG 27MU67 this could show completely different results?

Your part would be easy - just playback the demo with DVBViewer or MPC-HC, LAV Filters, EVR Custom.

Then come close to your UHD-TV and watch narrowly not the objects but the backgrounds.

Do you see some color stepping (banding)?

Then open the LAV Video Decoder Settings, switch DXVA2 native to copy-back. Then close the player and restart the demo.

Do you see differences in the color steps between native and copy-back? Anything else remarkable?

Depending on your (or anybody else's) answer maybe I had 2 or 3 questions and may be had to start a new topic.

Thank you in advance! :)

The screenshot below shows some banding but stronger banding only on the Nvidia, not on an Intel iGPU.

Here the demo - sorry for some bad cuts - my cutting soft is still not so good with HEVC without rerendering.

https://dc2.safesync.com/FdSVjnr/offen/4K/Snakes_4K-10-bit_banding_cut.zip?a=zAINxh7PTtc

native-banding.png

Hi, strange things to report. Firstly playing the file in DVBviwer using LAV with DXVA native works fine could not notice any banding.

When playing the file strange artifacts happen every scene change.

in MHTx64 could not play file at all...tried with madVR and customVR

Playing the file in DXVA copy back does not play at all in both apps, however playing file with DXVA turned off it plays the file really badly.

Now have a look at LAV properties....on DVBviwer it has inactive for Active Decoder when DXVA native, also HW acceleration None

but in MHT it recognised DXVA2N ac active decoder and RD480 for HW acc.

I would have thought that they would interrograte the same entity ?

Letme know if you need me to run specific tests.

stats%20dxva.JPG

Frank

Edited by fxv1

Thanks for testing! :)

I think the problems need only a bit fine tuning in the filters and which ones to take.

Hi, strange things to report. Firstly playing the file in DVBviwer using LAV with DXVA native works fine could not notice any banding.

When playing the file strange artifacts happen every scene change.

Your left LAV properties show 'HW acceleration None' thats true. And this one played good?

Now have a look at LAV properties....on DVBviwer it has inactive for Active Decoder when DXVA native, also HW acceleration None

but in MHT it recognised DXVA2N ac active decoder and RD480 for HW acc.

What is MHT? Do you mean MPC-HC? Your right LAV properties show 'everything OK!'. And this one played bad? Hmm... :wacko:

Thanks for testing! :)

I think the problems need only a bit fine tuning in the filters and which ones to take.

Your left LAV properties show 'HW acceleration None' thats true. And this one played good?

What is MHT? Do you mean MPC-HC? Your right LAV properties show 'everything OK!'. And this one played bad? Hmm... :wacko:

sorry MHT I meant MPC-HC

Windows Media player played the file and it was spot on.

MPC-HT now plays the video fine after changing to Custom VR.

Yes the video played perfectly when DVBViewer DXVA is set to native. HW is definetly on as it puts no load on CPU when I play that video. Also if I remove DXVA to NONE the playback is awful.

What do you make of the different info in the LAV filter for DXVA and HW acc (DVBviwer left picture MPC-HT right picture) ??

You mention fine tuning in the filters area, are you talkng app specific ? Can you clarify your suggestion please.

Cheers

Frank