RS stops recording

I have a rather bizarre problem. I built a new computer a few months ago but reused my tuner cards. It all works fine EXCEPT that some programmes put in the timer stop recording after a few minutes. Now the big clue is perhaps that it appears to be only BBC programmes that are affected. I usually record HD. The new version of RS is the same. Since the change to the new computer, I have recorded perhaps about 50 programmes from ITV and Ch4 with no issues at all, but most BBC programmes have finished after just a few minutes.

Any thoughts appreciated - support zip attached.support.zip

but most BBC programmes have finished after just a few minutes.

I've checked all BBC recordings in your svcdebug.log. The shortest has a duration of 1:20 hours, the longest of 2:00 hours. None of them has finished after a few minutes.

Please explain more in detail.

support.zipHi Griga

So I did a test recording today on BBC One HD at 12.15m should've lasted 30 mins plus margins. In fact it only recorded for 4' 18". This is typical for the problem.

I've just looked in the RS Web Interface and if I click on the Recording made, and read the Log, at about the time of the recording stop there are a large number of 'Errors'.

Perhaps I just have a poor signal for the BBC Multiplex?

Perplexing!

Edited by PerryM
So I did a test recording today on BBC One HD at 12.15m should've lasted 30 mins plus margins. In fact it only recorded for 4' 18".

The log reports start at 12:05:01 and stop at 12:55:01, which means, a recording duration of 50 minutes. So where do you get 4' 18" from?

at about the time of the recording stop there are a large number of 'Errors'.

That's right. Far too large.

Perhaps I just have a poor signal for the BBC Multiplex?

What if you watch BBC directly? Any disturbances? Drop outs?

I'm sorry Griga, but whatever the log says - the actual recording was only 4'18" long. It clearly stopped due to the excessive error rate.

I rarely watch the live picture directly, but don't recall ever seeing a problem. The signal quality is currently registering as 100% and looks fine. Indeed I have just made 2 BBC test recordings (each about 45min), one from the EPG in DVBViewer and one in the RS, and they both worked perfectly with zero errors. It has just occurred to me that the difference is that normally a recording is made from a Hibernating computer so is it possible that this is causing the problem but only for the BBC Multiplex? I seem to vaguely recall an issue with computers coming out of sleep and not initialising the tuner card correctly. This is all getting very obscure!! It reminds me of that Quantum Physics conundrum where you cannot observe something without changing its properties!

the actual recording was only 4'18" long

Again: From where did you get this very specific value? Why are you keeping it a secret? Not really helpful for clarifying the matter...

Just one hint, which may perhaps be of help:

I had a similar problem some time ago. Initial thoughts were, that the AntiVirus-S/W caused the problem of incomplete recordings. Log files didn't give me a hint.

After I re-seated the RAM-Modules and the PCI-Cards, the problem was gone.

Since you have a similar problem with a new PC recently put together, there might be a problem with slightly wrong seated cards or modules.. So perhaps try re-seating the RAM-Moduls and/or PCI/PCIe-Cards.

Regards

Goggo

Edited by Goggo16

Maybe you have disabled creating separate log files for every recording (Settings->Recorder->Write Log file). Enable it and post it here.

First video PTS is 5539851354 17:05:53.904

Last video PTS is 5563168554 17:10:12.984

First PCR is 1661939348700 17:05:53.309

Last PCR is 1668931401872 17:10:12.274

The timestamps suggest that the recorder got no data anymore after 4:18 minutes. The log proposed by jirim100 would tell more about the sequence. It would be interesting to see the effect of the "Recordings -> Restart recording if no data for 60 secs." option in cases like this. Restarting the recording also releases and re-initialises the DVB hardware, provided it is only occupied by this recording.

(posting from work, so no access to logs etc)

Understood Griga. In practice it is of no great use because there are so many errors that the recording is worthless to me anyways - unless of course the re-initialise would remove all the errors for the remainder and I allowed a long enough start buffer to enclose the programme I actually want. In my case with two tuners, would they be re-initialised together?

Sorry - as we say I am just 'thinking aloud'!

It has just occurred to me that the difference is that normally a recording is made from a Hibernating computer so is it possible that this is causing the problem but only for the BBC Multiplex? I seem to vaguely recall an issue with computers coming out of sleep and not initialising the tuner card correctly.

It looks like a driver issue. TBS drivers are known to be not the most stable thing in the world ;) So let's have a look at different reset options:

(1) "Recordings -> Restart recording if no data for 60 secs": You can try, but IMO it won't solve the problem. A restart includes a retune and LNB power off/on in case of TBS devices, but it doesn't stop / reset the driver.

(2) "Hardware -> Reset after sleep/hibernate" looks more promising. It lets the Recording Service do something that is similar to deactivating / re-activating a device in the Windows device manager. It stops and restarts the driver after the PC has woken up.

(3) Execute RSTweaker.bat in the installation directory (launches Tweaker.exe for the Recording Service) -> "Reset DVB device before recording". Like (2), but executed right before a recording uses a device. The Tweaker description field tells you under which conditions this option is applied.

I would try (2) first. Good luck :)

Hi Griga

I was looking at the 'Configure' menu last night before I saw your last post and found the item 2. I checked it and tried a recording last night that WORKED! Small beginnings but we may have hit the nail, I only use this computer for recording and processing TV so I don't think item 3 will add much..

Windows (10) has become a bit flaky so I will try the reseat RAM and report back after a week or so with how things are going.

Thanks for all the help.

Maybe not!

Two evenings of recordings, both with a non BBC on one tuner and a BBC HD (film) on the other. In both cases the non BBC started first so there was no wake from Hibernate situation for the BBC. The non BBC recorded perfectly (as usual) but the BBC HD films both stopped with the usual large error burst. One was 8'05" into the recording and the other was 37'41". I've added the 'error' logs - I'll add the others if anybody is interested. Now that I've checked the relevant box, both recordings restarted and completed with no more errors.

I am lost for ideas! AFAIK the only significant difference between the BBC HD and the other channels is that the BBC uses much more aggressive variable bit rate encoding with a much lower average bit rate. I can only think that this somehow upsets my tuner (a TBS 6981). It is now quite an old design and maybe I need to get a new one?

All ideas gratefully accepted.

2016-07-16_22-15-01_BBC One HD (AC3,eng)_Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man s... - ...Chest. To repay a debt to a powerful crew, an i_check.log

2016-07-15_23-25-00_BBC One HD (AC3,eng)_Anchorman The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Comedy starring Will Ferrell. An ambitious female_check.log

Edited by PerryM

Sorry - I forgot that I changed it last year for a 6982 which is still the 'latest' 2 ch S2 tuner they sell.. I've just updated the driver so I'll see if that makes a difference.

For those who don't like TBS tuners (or drivers), what is your recommendation for an S2 PCIe tuner? It doesn't need to be low profile.

http://www.digital-devices.eu/shop/en/tv-cards/tv-cards-for-pcie/249/twin-tuner-tv-card-dvb-s/s2-pci-express-dd-cine-s2-v7?c=121

Rather expensive, but according to user feedback and my own experience the most reliable product (particularly concerning the driver).

TBS is ok if it runs well in a certain context, but if it doesn't mostly there is nothing you can do about it (also my experience). Honestly, I'm a bit fed up with handling these cases here in the forum...

• 5 weeks later...

OK - I have bitten the bullet and bought a Digital Devices Tuner Card. I have installed it and it shows up fine & works in DBV when selected directly. How do I add them as an extra 2 Unicast channels. The options in the Wiki don't seem to exist any more.

I want to end up with 4 tuners (2x TBS, 2xDD) but somehow make sure that the DD device will always be used for the BBC. Is this possible?

support.zip

Edited by PerryM