Hello... Potentially making the switch from MP 1.13 to DVBViewer but h

richardc1983

Hello there,

I am hoping someone can help as potentially both myself, brother and father will purchase the DVBViewer software to switch from Mediaportal 1.13.

For many years now we have used MP in a multi client setup with server and multiple client machines in the house, with sky tuner cards with little issue. However the custom sky data grabber plugin we used in MP is very buggy and channels keep going missing which makes it very inconvenient. The person who developed this plugin has vanished off the face of the earth so we are researching alternatives due to how buggy it has become and lack of development/bug fixing, we have then come across DVBViewer.

I have looked through the FAQ and other areas of the site but have some specific questions please:

1. Does DVBViewer support Dynamic refresh rates?
  2. Does it support the Media Centre remote control?
  3. Does FreeSat have full channel numbers and EPG and how do other clients watch TV from the DVBViewer installation on the main server PC?
  4. Are there Movies & TV Series Plugins?
  5. Is there a powerscheduler type plug in that will manage the sleep and wake functions on the PC so if the server is asleep and client is switched out of sleep will WOL wake the server?
  6. Any online videos type plugins that support UK catchup tv services like ITV player, 4od, 5, bbc iplayer, youtube etc?

Many thanks and kind regards

Richard.

Edited by richardc1983

The DVBViewer is focused on live TV and recording of live TV.

1. only via plug-in Video frame rate switcher and maybe with madVR Renderer.

2. Media Centre remote control should work to control the DVBViewer.

3. There is FreeSat EPG support, but no support for LCN. So sorting the channel list is up to you.

For a client server system you need the Recording Service. If you us DVBViewer clients there is no difference if it connects to the RS or has direct access to the hardware.

With other clients it deepens on the client if then download the collected EPG from the RS or foreword recording timer.

4. not really

5. yes DVBViewer clients can us WOL to start the server. And the PC is started for recordings from hibernate/standby.

6. There is a HbbTV and MHEG-5 plug-in here. But MHEG-5 is limited to off-line contend. And there will be support for .ts steaming (HLS) in future versions in the channel list.

But the are no plug-in for special serviced. There was a plug-in for Youtube until Goggle decided to shut down the API without a easy to you replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Plex for all stored media (movies, series, music), and DVBViewer for live TV and recordings.

I used XMBC/Kodi some time, but the Plex metadata is better and easier to manage centrally. You automatically get also trailers and bonus clips with when you use the paid version. For me, its definitely worth 40€ per year.

With my remote, I can switch between both applications.