Is DVBViewer suitable for an older person?

david151

First of all I can't try DVBViewer with a tuning device as I have not bought one yet, but think I may get this:

Hauppauge WinTV DualHD Digital TV tuner
Is this a good option or would people recommend something else for use with DVBViewer?
Secondly, can DVBViewer be setup to only use a remote control? I ask this as my 86 year old mother will be using it, and she must be able to change and record channels / use an EPG all from a remote control. She is unable / unwilling to use a mouse or a keyboard. I have used other software in the past for TV solutions and changing channels etc was all okay from the remote, but accessing the EPG / recording was not very simple with just a remote.
Am I able to setup DVBViewer to be simple enough for an elderly person to use (change channels / record from EPG) with just a remote, just like an ordinary TV?
  • Like 2

You can be set-up the DVBViewer to be controlled via remote control. But you should be used to the DVBViewer before even thinking about a HTPC project for your own use.

The DVBViewer is and will ever be a PC program. And with all connected things (operating system, driver, updates etc.) a PC is never the best solution for not PC savvy people.

So the DVBViewer can be a good solution, if there are multiple people in a household. And one savvy person like to spend a good potion time managing a HTPC and the other people are using them as well.

But if the main user is not able to do normal PC tasks on its own, I wound commanding not using a PC solution at all.

In this situation I would look, if it is possible to avoid a second device (and therefore second remote control) e.g. a set top box. The bes solution would be a TV which has all necessary features (are recordings really needed?) build in and on additional things (so no Streaming, YouTube, SmartTV). So maybe even getting a older model.

Thanks for your replies. I do live in the house as well, so it would be me setting everything up and maintaining it. It just has to be easy for her to use with a remote control - this includes recording from an EPG.

Where is the best place to start from here?

One place would be the next TV/electronic shop.

Or a magazine/website from your county which performs device tests for TV and/or set top box.

Because there are in many TV markets special requirements e.g. the way EPG is transmitted or the use encryption standards.

Therefore many TV models are country based (even if the changes are small and sometimes only software based). Speciously if you not looking high end models.

I think he was asking about where to start with the DVBViewer setup :innocent:

Yes that's right I am asking about DVBViewer

"Thanks for your replies. I do live in the house as well, so it would be me setting everything up and maintaining it. It just has to be easy for her to use with a remote control - this includes recording from an EPG.

Where is the best place to start from here?"

We do have a couple of elderly users here, the oldest one i remember was 85 in 2007 - not sure if he still uses the software :)

Besides this you can control the DVBViewer via remote, but as Tjod said: It might be better to use a regular set top box instead. There are so many things around the PC, which are not caused by the DVBViewer itself. Keep in mind Windows updates and changes required afterwards for example.

To start with the DVBViewer, you need DVB hardware (which drivers which support you OS e.g. Win 10 1607, there are many driver which don't comply with the Microsoft requirements) and the DVBViewer (Demo)

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Installing

http://www.DVBViewer.com/de/index.php?page=demo

A codec e.g. LAV Filters.

But how well it works depends on other things as well graphic cards driver sound card driver ...

A HTPC is not a (cheap) replacement for a hinged receiver. But more a time consuming hobby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC

Believe Christian Hackbart if you want your mother watching and recording TV in this life. It can take weeks or month to find out all secrets of DVBViewer if you are a beginner. And that's still no guarantee against problems.

To be a little more clear, DVBViewer is NOT something you can maintain somehow on the side. It takes not only time and effort to set it up, it also takes a LOT of tinkering after. Sometimes it will drive even "geeks" nuts. Just read the forum :D

The "reluctance" you're seeing here is NOT to turn you away from the program, it's just a try to save you from the disappointment having a software which might or might not work.

Talking about being older, I'm in my sixties and sometimes just ready to quit the whole thing, LOL.

What I wanted to say is, if you're willing and ABLE to deal with the shortcomings of the program, it could be fun, BUT don't complain about a "crappy" software if it doesn't work for you the way it should.

Edited by spachti
  • Like 1