live TV streaming

PerryM

One of my new year resolutions is to fire up live TV streaming from my HTPC computer on FreeSat to the TV room on FreeView, which often suffers severe signal loss due to weather conditions. I have an Ethernet link, and it used to work fine on an old media box which has since been lost to Ebay. I cannot remember whether it used RS or the main app. to act as the server host.

I have two linux based boxes with the TV, a modified Humax (to enable apps to be loaded) and a Samsung DVD player, but neither currently sees the servers. I do also have a Windows computer available but it is not a wife friendly solution, so I would like to acquire a cheap media box to serve the purpose. It should be quick to boot and obviously compatible with channel changing etc.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Based on current software versions you need to install the recording service and point it at your HTPC freesat tuner, your current version of DVBViewer will need pointing at your recording services setup. My samsung TV can see the folders to this setup but samsung's solution isn't very usable to navigate around, so....

To stream to your TV I'd recommend getting an amazon firestick or a raspberry pi 3 which you install Kodi with a DVBViewer addon. The firestick is probable the slightly more wife friendly option as it has a usable remote included but the Pi3 route gives some extract features if your TV supports it like auto switching tv on/off, although I can use my TV remote on my Pi3 which would probable suit your wife but I prefer using a small media keyboard with my Pi3.

http://kodi.wiki/view/DVBViewer

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:DVBViewer_Client

Thanks for that - I want a wired Ethernet connection so I'm bidding for a used Fire TV box on Ebay. I'll come back when I get one.

Can you just be a bit more specific about where to turn on the streaming because I seem to remember there is a service in both the RS and the main app.

I was just going to report my experience with using the DVB server in RS with two existing client boxes - a Windows computer works well (Kodi 16) and a low-end Android tablet (Kodi 17) not so well, probably due to WiFi issues.

However, I have just seen the announcement about Media Server (coincidentally on my birthday!) so maybe I should just wait for that and then review what would be the best client box.

Any (however approximate) timings for the release of Media Server would be much appreciated.

Complete change of plan! FireTV boxes are going for silly prices on Ebay so have hit upon use of an AppleTV type 1 as a home for Kodi. There is a fair amount of support on line but some issues with a required accelerator card to enable full HD video.

The bottom line is I need to know what version of Kodi is necessary to get the DVBViewer add-on?

I got the latest Release Canditate Version v17. Havent got an Problem yet. But it runs on an Windows PC and a Android Device. Cant say anything about Apple but it works Fine on Android.

Edited by NightStorm1000
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried the AppleTV box with a Kodi mod - it worked but I/F VERY slow. I added the CrystalHD board which facilitates 1080 H.264 but the result on BBCHD has unacceptable lip sync.

I finally gave in and bought a FireTV box from Amazon (they had a £10 off day) and after installing Kodi it provides everything I need.

Thanks for the feedback.