SAT>IP multicast support

userip

Hi,

I like to use multicast transport with my SAT>IP server. So, I need to know:

- The DVBViewer can request multicast (instead of unicast) when using SAT>IP ?

- Also, can the RS serve streams in multicast to SAT>IP clients?

Thank you!

The DVBViewer can request multicast (instead of unicast) when using SAT>IP ?

No.

Also, can the RS serve streams in multicast to SAT>IP clients?

Yes. It requires a tool to set it up.

No.

Yes. It requires a tool to set it up.

Hi Griga,

Thank you!

Will a future version of DVBViewer support SAT>IP multicast client mode?

Can you explain how to setup RS SAT>IP multicast server?

It's all in the Sat>IP specifications. Search the PDF for multicast.

The next DVBViewer release will provide a tweak that allows to configure an RTSP device for multicast setup. But it's an expert thing, rather for testing purpose than for normal usage.

It's all in the Sat>IP specifications. Search the PDF for multicast.

The next DVBViewer release will provide a tweak that allows to configure an RTSP device for multicast setup. But it's an expert thing, rather for testing purpose than for normal usage.

Hi Griga,

Sorry, I suspect you don't understand me!

I'm an expert. And I know very well the multicast support in the SAT>IP specification. So, my question is: the DVBViewer supports multicast transport using SAT>IP?

From your response I assume it will be included in the "next" release... great! Please, document it, instead of say "it's and expert thing".

Regards.

the DVBViewer supports multicast transport using SAT>IP?

All you need is a client that is able to receive UDP/RTP streams. No Sat>IP specific implementation is required on the client side (except for the accompanying RTCP stream on the subsequent port, but that isn't necessary for playback) . So the DVBViewer DVB IPTV reception type will do. Or VLC. Whatever you want...

However, for starting Sat>IP multicast a tool is required that is able to set up and configure the server accordingly. That's a different thing. Usually the tool doesn't receive and doesn't play the stream. Maybe it's just a console application.

Because I don't have such a tool, I kind of "hacked" the RTSP device in DVBViewer as a provisional solution so it can be used to configure the Recording Service for Sat>IP Multicast by tweaking the hardware.xml (there's no UI for it). It's just for testing purpose, because it's a dirty hack. DVBViewer has to play the channel all the time in order to keep the stream going, and channel switching in DVBViewer forces all multicast clients to follow and to handle the resulting discontinuities. It should not be done this way if you really want to use Sat>IP multicast.

That all about it, Mister Expert :)

Thank you, Griga!

Good explanation!

All you need is a client that is able to receive UDP/RTP streams. No Sat>IP specific implementation is required on the client side

My problem is that I need SAT>IP only, as I'm working with SAT>IP only devices!

Generic multicast is out-of-scope (with out without IGMP).

You tested the Panasonic SAT>IP multicast mode?