Is there a way to live transcode video to an MP4 file?

uglyned

Just wondering - is there a way of achieving this?

Either transcoding live video and storing it in a file, or transcoding a recording file as it's being recorded?

Is there any way of achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

Well actually this won't work. MP4 containers have the index at the end. Without the index you just have garbage. Live stream never ends, so you won't be able to create an index :)

What might work is mpeg dash, which is similar to HLS, but optional with mp4 chunks.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hackbart said:

Well actually this won't work. MP4 containers have the index at the end. Without the index you just have garbage. Live stream never ends, so you won't be able to create an index :)

What might work is mpeg dash, which is similar to HLS, but optional with mp4 chunks.

Thanks for this - I'd been playing with ffmpeg through the day and thanks to Google had come to the same conclusion.

I was lucky that the only other container the application I was streaming to would accept was WMV and this one did work.

I've become something of a fan of virtual reality and the sportsbar game I play will now read video files to the TVs.

So now I'm using ffmpeg to connect to an RTSP stream from the recording service, transcoding, deinterlacing and saving to a WMV file.

The result - I can do 2 of my favourite things at the same time.