Hauppauge Colossus

cp2

i have run it again just to be sure.

I couldn't find the line you refer to so i wonder whether now that a connection has been established in previous runs that the reporting changes? I know nothing of course

support.zip

• 3 months later...

Yes you did, at least as far as i was concerned, but i don't think that the solution has been formally notified or released as an update. In addition i am not sure whether the solution that worked for me might not work for others.

I have an .exe file that works but maybe not if i download a new version of the installation file should it be released.

• 2 weeks later...

Christian, I'm also trying to get this to work.  I have no errors in the log, it sees the two colossus cards, but the scan returns nothing.  Since this seems to have been fixed after the 11/1/2017 date of the current release, is there a new dbvviewer file we should be using?

Thanks!

I just tried turning off the media server, and now I see errors in the log file:

04.04.18 15:24:06.417 TfrmMain             AllocateHardware Open failed
04.04.18 15:24:06.417 TfrmMain             AllocateHardware Open failed
04.04.18 15:24:06.418 TfrmLoader           Status           
04.04.18 15:25:14.641 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Open failed
04.04.18 15:25:14.641 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Open failed
04.04.18 15:25:14.644 BuildGraph           Get Capture Filter
04.04.18 15:25:14.669 BuildGraph           Get Crossbar Filter
04.04.18 15:25:14.841 BuildGraph           Get Encoder Filter
04.04.18 15:25:14.851 BuildGraph           Failed to use Hauppauge Colossus TS Encoder 0
04.04.18 15:25:14.852 TCPanel              pnlScan          EAccessViolation at 005638B5: Access violation at address 005638B5 in module 'DVBViewer.exe'. Read of address 00000000
04.04.18 15:25:19.986 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:20.002 TfrmScanner          Release          Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:20.002 TfrmScanner          Free             Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:20.004 TfrmScanner          Freed            Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:20.004 TfrmScanner          hamDeleted       Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:23.130 BuildGraph           Get Capture Filter
04.04.18 15:25:23.148 BuildGraph           Get Crossbar Filter
04.04.18 15:25:23.319 BuildGraph           Get Encoder Filter
04.04.18 15:25:23.328 BuildGraph           Failed to use Hauppauge Colossus TS Encoder 0
04.04.18 15:25:23.329 TCPanel              pnlScan          EAccessViolation at 005638B5: Access violation at address 005638B5 in module 'DVBViewer.exe'. Read of address 00000000
04.04.18 15:25:24.801 TfrmScanner          AllocateHardware Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:24.817 TfrmScanner          Release          Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:24.817 TfrmScanner          Free             Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:24.819 TfrmScanner          Freed            Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:24.819 TfrmScanner          hamDeleted       Hauppauge Colossus Capture 0 (1)
04.04.18 15:25:31.163 TfrmMain             End App          before OSD terminate
04.04.18 15:25:31.196 End App              -----------------------------------

I don't think that you are going to get any joy until a modification to DVBViewer is made.

My interactions with Herr Hackbart involved special versions of the DVBViewer exe file to increase error capture messages. As i understand it DVBViewer expects to communicate with capture cards in a certain manner but Hauppauge doesn't follow these conventions. Herr Hackbart found the pins that the Colossus was using, the exe file was tweaked and communication was established. Some conversations with Hauppauge may have been necessary.

I have what is a fix. It really needs a solution - the fix given to me may well require more work in order to be integrated into a new release of DVBViewer. Only DVBViewer can do this.

For my part i am concerned that any new release would wipe out the benefit i now have unless this modification is made.

I'm another who is still trying to get a colossus 2 working with no luck and have tried everything mentioned.  I'm using DVBViewer v6.0.4.

Happy to beta-test if it helps.

My PC has a terrestrial tuner card, a satellite tuner card and the Colossus installled. I can now record from all three sources at once using DVBViewer. i would be reluctant to run two recording programs at the same time. There are some minor compromises that i have to make but it has proved pretty stable with occasional "glitches" in the recorded file  that are not present in the source file. I put this down to the Hauppauge end of the hardware/ software as i have tried other capture programs and experienced the same problem. (I'vfe just snipped out some offending frames, rerecorded the error area and popped that into the recording using VideoRedo. Fiddly but not too serious).

Edited by cp2
typo

Thanks for the reply.  Is there a projected time for the new release?  If you would like myself or RobH to test it as well to see if we have any issues, we would be happy to do so.

Thanks!

There is no download link for the Editor, because it is not published. Therefore we have to update the DVBViewer with the Keytool first.  

Thanks Christian!  Like cp2 I also have a DVB-S2 card with 2 dishes (one motorised) and a DVB-T2 card which work wonderfully well with DVBViewer - the Colussus2 is the final link I need to fully integrate everything into one system so am really looking forward to the official release.  Many thanks for all of your work over the years! :D

Oh by the way, the editor is available at the moment. As i said the colossus2 should run fine in the next DVBViewer and Recording Service release. The reason is a problem in the Hauppauge Directshow filter. Which caused me to create a stupid work around in our code. Technically it is just a two liner and to be more specific: The encoder does not have any input pin for audio and video like all others. So the handling differs to any other devices of this kind. 

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to post the beta that cp2 is using or a newer one in the members area?  I don't know when the next release will be, and it would be really nice to have this last piece working.  It would probably be good to have a couple more people test to see if they run into any issues as well.

Thanks!  Indy

We plan an update within the next days. It will take time to complete the installer and to update the channel lists. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting this sorted. Can now connect to my box directly through DVBViewer. Unfortunately, I have one final problem. If I set it up in DVBViewer hardware directly I can enter the encoder box settings and change the bitrate from the default 7mbps (which is what DVBViewer sets it at initially) to the full 14mbps no problem (of course, power cycling the box for the change to take effect) as long as I have the capture channel open and the box is showing the bright green light.

But when I set it up as a RTSP Netwok Device (Terrestrial)  with Media Server (which I prefer), MS hardware section will not let me enter the encoder settings when I go into the settings to change the bitrate setting from default 7 to 14 (and so capture is stuck at that low bitrate), whether I have the  RTSP capture channel open in DVBViewer (green light) or not (blue light), DVBViewer on or off, media server on or off, tried it all.

Could someone please try and help me to sort this final problem, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Griga has offered very kindly offered two solutions but so far neither have worked, anyone else able to help me out with this issue of been unable open the Encoder settings in Encoder Box Settings when using Media Server.

Edited by goldfinger21

Can't the device be configured by using DVBViewer on the server PC?

As far as I can see it's just setting up something on the encoder property page, not a per-application setting. Usually It doesn't matter where it is done, except if the DirectShow filter behind it stores per-application data in the registry.

Griga is right, the settings done in the DVBViewer are used in the DMS without further ado. So once set up, it should work in the DMS too. 

Afraid not, it doesn't appear to pass the bitrate setting over to the Media Server, If I configure the device directly in DVBViewer I can open the Encoder button within Encoder Box Settings (as long as I have Capture Channel Open within DVBViewer with green light showing on box) and change the bitrate to my desired bitrate, in this case constant 14Mbps, from the default variable 7Mbps,, power cycle box for the setting to take effect and once I open the Capture Channel it is showing as well as been able to record at the requested bitrate, and the setting remains that way even if I delete the device from hardware section and then re-scan. But if I then go on to configure it in Media Server instead and as a DVB-T RTSP Network Device in DVBViewer the bitrate returns to the variable 7Mbps, and I am unable to enter the Encoder button within Encoder Box Settings (Hardware section, Device Settings, Media Server) to change this (as I can when setup directly in DVBViewer), whether I have the Capture Channel Open in DVBViewer (using DVB-T RTSP Network device) or not, Media Server On or Off. I think the problem is, the encoder button expects the box to be live (with greenlight on) and when you set it up in Media Server it cannot detect the device is live (with greenlight on) and open in DVBViewer. Can this be changed in code so it can or another solution for the bitrate setting to be transferred to Media Server. Obviously, you cannot enter these box Settings directly in DVBViewer Hardware section when setup as DVB-T RTSP Network Device.

Edited by goldfinger21

Reading around I've seen other people have a problem like this with other capture software (including Media Portal), it appears the Hauppauge products do have a problem with holding the bitrate setting over different applications and especially with the newer drivers (like Griga said, something to do with directshow filter's) and can revert to the variable 7 / 8 Mbps and looks like it needs to be changed within each application separately so we really need some sort of solution for this within Media Server.

Edited by goldfinger21

I think that in an ideal world Hauppauge would improve their software so that it interfaced better with other programs. It does look liike the problem really lies with them.

I have tried both of Hauppauge's own capture options - WinTV and  Hauppauge Capture - and i was decidely unimpressed.

I previously had a HD-PVR which came bundled with software from Arcsoft and that worked well.

Unfortunately I don't think that changes from Hauppauge are likely to happen and  I am therefore grateful that DVBViewer have stepped up though sadly not quite enough yet for some users.

Same here, am very grateful DVBViewer are willing to step up to the plate and try and fix Hauppuage's shortcomings.

This appears to be the final issue I'm having, otherwise everything appears to be working fine. I'm hoping it's a problem which can be fixed if not directly in Media Server but with the use of manipulating the settings manually through something like graphstudio or similar.

Edited by goldfinger21

Good analysis, bad result ;)

2 hours ago, goldfinger21 said:

I think the problem is, the encoder button expects the box to be live (with greenlight on) and when you set it up in Media Server it cannot detect the device is live

Rather the encoder DirectShow filter that creates the property page expects the box to be live. Unfortunately that's something outside our code. The DMS options are not designed for running a device. They build the chain of components that is required for accessing the encoder filter in the same way as DVBViewer in its hardware options. But there is no code that tunes a channel etc. Maybe Christian finds out more... I can't because I don't have such a device.

48 minutes ago, goldfinger21 said:

looks like it needs to be changed within each application separately

...which means, it is stored somewhere per application. Maybe in the registry. Knowing the location would probably enable to change  the settings there. However, that comes down to hacking the device with tools like Process Monitor, more or less...

This does indeed not work. I asked Hauppauge if there is a way to get and set the encoder properties without creating a complete capture graph. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

Have you heard back from Hauappauge in regards to this ussue, would really love to get this setup correctly using Media Server rather than having to use DVBViewer directly.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Griga again for the help, but unfortunately those settings don't appear in the registry for the colossus 2 / hd pvr 2, maybe, only for the original colussus. Had a search through all the other hauppauge registry entries in case it has been moved but still can't seem to find them. Prior to your post, I was thinking maybe there is a registry tweak to change these bitrate settings for the DVBViewer media server but can't seem to find them.

Managed to find the settings in the end under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432Node/Hauappauge/TVServer/HDPVR

Changed mode from variable to constant and all the 1080i Best, Better, Fair and Good to 14000000, restarted both device and media server but still the bitrate is only averaging 8MBit.

Then, I realised, I had a HDPVR prior to getting a HDPVR2 so those settings most probably relate to that (or if they do just don't relate to the DVBViewer Media Server bitrate settings) and the HDPVR2 doesn't appear to have these setting's in registry.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

Edited by goldfinger21