Record from PC to a NAS QNAP 251

boostermax

Hello

I have a nas qnap ts 251 and I would like the recordings that are made from my pc come register on the nas, but that does not work, though i have configured DVBViewer and recording service but The recordings always go in c: / public / videos despite the good setting of the software

I have checked the access rights of the shared directory on the nas and the rights are good, the pc can connect well to the nas, I even try to change the version of the samba server in the nas but nothing fact.

Should it make a particular setting or DVBViewer is not able to write on the nas?

Thank you
Aurélien

The RS is running by default in the system user account. Therefore drive mappings or user name an password from you windows user will have no effect.

First you need a UNC to the recording folder (select it as sub folder from Network in the explorer). And then it should be a folder without the need for a password.

In the RS service settings you should see \\SERVEUR\Video and nothing from P:

P: is a mapped drive which only works for the currently running user but not for the system  account.

Hello ;

i ever try what you said , but recording service and / or not DVBViewer always recording in public videos, and i ever try to uninstall DVBViewer and recording service and reinstall it , and pb is still not resolved

Hello ,

i have found the cause of the problem , the cause is Recording service doesn't see UNC .

If i uninstall recording service and setup DVBViewer to record on my nas : IT' S WORKS

so,can you upgrade recording service for see UNC ?

Thanks

If you use Win10 then there is a restriction by Microsoft. The "System" account in which the RS/DMS is running is no longer allowed to access UNC pathes which worked in previous Windows versions. You have to go to the services list and change the account of the RS from "system" to your normal user account and password (I'm pretty sure it does not work if the user has no password). You have to restart the service afterwards. And it's possible that you have to do it again after each update of the RS/DMS.

Didn't try this myself yet but this issue was mentioned a lot of times here in this forum.

Ok, thanks but how must i do for change settings ? I must to change in services in windows and / or recording service or other ?

Thanks

In Windows. For example press Windows+R and enter "services.msc". In the list there is "DVBViewer Media Server". Right mouse click, properties. In the second register you can switch between system account and a manual entered account. I would stop the service before the change and restart it afterwards.

As written, I never did this myself but this was obviously necessary for many people after upgrading to Win10. And every time you install DMS again, for example a newer version, the setting can be reset and you have to check and change it again.

Edited by HaraldL
  • 4 weeks later...

On Win7 you can solve this if you can enable guest access for the share on your NAS. Because the RS/DMS doesn't access the NAS with your username/password but with the windows system account. If your NAS wants authentification the system account is an unknown user. So with guest access the system account can store on the NAS on Win7 (other than Win10 where any access to UNC pathes is always blocked for system account, no setting in the NAS can solve this).

Of course, if you can't (or won't for security reasons) allow guest access on the NAS you can do the same as described in my last post above, works in Win7/8.x too.

I know - I just used your advise to run the service with an actual user account that can access the NAS. I was just pointing the underlying issue was not Win10-specific. :)

The fact that the service always run as system account and not as actual user is independent of the windows version and is valid for most services on windows, not only RS/DMS. But for Win7/8.x you have two options to solve this: 1. allow access for the system account on your NAS or 2. change service to run as normal user account.

On Win10 something was changed by MS, option 1 is no longer possible. A drawback is that with option 2 you have to change the service user account after every update of RS/DMS (Option 1, once configured on the NAS would continue to work after an update of RS/DMS). If you forget it after an update new recordings will be stored in a local C: drive folder instead of the NAS.

On 19.5.2017 at 9:10 AM, HaraldL said:

A drawback is that with option 2 you have to change the service user account after every update of RS/DMS

We will try to avoid re-registering the DMS (= re-creating its registry entries) on installation, provided the DMS has not been uninstalled before and it is no RS -> DMS upgrade. This should preserve the service user account in future versions  if it works as intended (yet to be tested) .