Media Server Shutting Down

Dempz

Hi,

I've updated to the new Media Service, but I have an issue when I have a recording scheduled. When the recording service re-tunes to the channel that is to be recorded the DVBViewer looses signal and gives a message that the Media service has shutdown, I cannot restart the Media service from the taskbar and full PC restart is required, when I restart the PC it says the Media Service is recording and do I still want to shutdown.

When the PC starts up the Media service starts recording and the DVBViewer is showing the channel as it should.

Support file is attached, please forgive me if I have not provided enough information this is my first time to bug report.

Thanks

Dempz

support.zip

• 2 weeks later...

This is happening to me too with DMS 2.0.2 and DVBViewer Pro 6.0.2.

Under Configuration, Recorder in DMS, Post Record Action is set to Do Nothing. 

Under settings, General, Shutdown on DVBViewer Pro, "Action on exit / power off" is set to Close DVBViewer.

I have 6 tuners out of 8 available to DMS and it will shut down the main PC even while other recordings/pauses are taking place. 

I'm not wishing to hijack Dempz's thread, just say that you are not alone. Perhaps there is an easy, tucked away setting out there that we've missed?

I have seen the warning message after the recording has finished, saying along the lines of "recording finished, shut down?" but I'm not always in front of the DMS server PC to tell it not to shut down.

Are others experiencing this issue? Have you been able to work around it?

Overall I'm really enjoying the upgrade to DVBViewer Pro 6.0.2 with DMS 2.0.2 as I find it easier to connect client PCs around the house. Well done to the DVBViewer team.

Thanks.

Johnnie

support.zip

Edited by johnniegif
typo
On 30.5.2017 at 8:17 PM, Dempz said:

the DVBViewer looses signal and gives a message that the Media service has shutdown, I cannot restart the Media service from the taskbar and full PC restart is required,

In the svcdebug.log it looks like the Media Server tends to crash when the TBS device is released. Since TBS drivers are no stability showcase I guess it's dragging the Media Server into the abyss. This particularly applies to the TbsCIapi.dll 1.0.1.6 that you are using. Try to get an up-to-date driver and DLL version from the TBS site.

8 hours ago, johnniegif said:

I have 6 tuners out of 8 available to DMS and it will shut down the main PC even while other recordings/pauses are taking place. 

There is no evidence in your support.zip that the DMS is used for recording. On Options -> Hardware DVBViewer is correctly configured for working as DMS client (which means, it does not use hardware directly, but receives the streams via network from the DMS).

However, since there is no Service section in your setup.xml, it looks like DVBViewer has not been configured for further DMS usage, neither via Help -> Media Server Wizard nor on Options -> DVBViewer Media Server. This means, recordings that are started / scheduled in DVBViewer are not delegated to the DMS, but executed by DVBViewer, unless you are using the DMS web interface for scheduling.

So I guess if there is an "unwanted PC shutdown" issue it is rather DVBViewer-, not DMS-related. Please describe more in detail (step by step) what you are doing.

Hi Griga,

Thanks for your help and your configuration tip. I knew I'd done something wrong! I had run the Help Media Server Wizard initially when accidentally installing DVBViewer Pro 6.0.0. Then I reinstalled with 6.0.2 and forgot to run it again, so DVBViewer was not set as a client. Sometimes I would see a red REC[ording] in DVBViewer's status window, having set from it's EPG and sometimes It would not show on the client as I'd set the recording via the DMS. I was wondering why. Doh!

I have now re-set my DVBViewer instances as clients and set off some recordings - as expected, no red REC on the clients and multiple entries in the DMS Status.

I will monitor the setup to see if DMS tries to shutdown my PC when recordings complete and feed back in a day or two.

Kind regards,

Johnnie