DMS - combine tuner with CI and normal tuner

bccrew

Hello all,

I have a theoretical question. I hope I can explain it clearly. I don't have the hardware yet to test it so i'm wondering if it is possible.

There is a provider that still sells ci modules with a smartcard but the module can only decrypt 1 channel at the same time. Now I know that you can set priorities in the DVBV RS to move tuners up in the list. There are also some FTA channels that don't need a tuner with a CI module, even some FTA channels on the same mux.

Is it possible to combine a tuner with CI slot and CI module with a tuner that doesnt have CAM support and make sure that crypted channels always use the tuner with the CI slot first? I don't want that the FTA channels will use the tuner with the CI module it this one is free. I want it to be possible to use the non CI tuner to record multiple FTA channels that are on the same mux and record an additional crypted channel with the tuner that has a CI slot and module.

I hope I make myself clear?

Not copletly possible. You could limit the tuner with CI to only encrypted channels. But then two FTA channels are not possible.

Or you can put the non CI tuner in the first position (drag&drop). Then it is used preferred.

But the RS/DMS reduces tuner change's. So if you switch from an encrypted channel to a FTA channel the DMS will use the tuner with CI for the FTA channel eaven if the non CI Tuner is free.

• Like 1

Ok, I see what you mean now. Suppose that the 2 tuners are added from a satip source in DMS (external satip server). How can I identify them in the DVBViewer client?

The DMS just takes whatever free tuner is available, no? I can add a single tuner in a DVBViewer client but I cannot know which satip source the DMS will choose?

3 hours ago, bccrew said:

The DMS just takes whatever free tuner is available, no?

The channel group mechanism works across DBViewer as Sat>IP client -> DMS as Sat>IP server connections. So if you switch over to a channel belongig to group B in DVBViewer the DMS will select a device that is configured for handling group B.

Furthermore, if you switch over to a channel that is flagged as encrypted in DVBViewer, the DMS will only use a device with "Has CI" ticked. It gets the full channel information from DVBViewer.

I'm using channel group assignment across the network for a two-dishes-setup where only one of two DVB cards is able to receive Hotbird, but both are able to receive Astra 19° East. It worx :)

You need to configure the channel groups in the DMS. And the DVBViewer gets the signal and channel list from the DMS. No need for extra configuration in the DVBViewer client.

If the DMS doesn't have access to a physical TV card, but only to a other Sat>IP server (not DMS), encrypted channels are a problem.

Because the standard isn't designed for server side decryption. As far as I know it would only work with a Sat>IP server from Digital Devices.

And then you would need to edit the svchardware.xml and add Frontend tweak (that will set the fe= parameter from the Sat>IP specification) to define exactly the tuner on the other Sat>IP server to use.

But then you have to make sure only the DMS accesses the defined tuner and no other client in your network. DVBViewer clients then have to get the signal from the DMS.