EPG window repeated scheduled recording

tim copperfield

In the EPG window, user can press Ctrl+R to mark selected program for recording.

If user keeps pressing Ctrl+R on already queued program, it will be added to timer recordings list over and over again.

There are several ways to handle this:

1) Remove program from recordings on 2nd ctrl+r press (may be annoying if user modifies start/stop time and it's no longer associated with the program)

2) Silently ignore request to queue another recording if identical entry already exists (or maybe MessageBeep or something to let the user know they fucked up)

3) Same as (2) but popup a box saying "recording already exists" (this is probably the worst way to handle this)

Thank you

12 hours ago, tim copperfield said:

There are several ways to handle this:

4) Disable keyboard auto-repeat for this function by not responding to another key down event until key up occured.

However, the keyboard shortcut handling is a standard mechanism of runtime libraries that cannot be changed easily because it is not under direct application control. It has to be worked around somehow... and there are more functions in DVBViewer where auto-repeat may cause undesirable results, particularly delete functions. So if we start to change it here there would be much more left to do....

10 minutes ago, Griga said:

4) Disable keyboard auto-repeat for this function by not responding to another key down event until key up occured.

My comment was not about auto-repeating, but mostly about the fact that duplicate recording entries end up in the database, while actual use case where such result is expected is quite unlikely.

Therefore my suggestion was to NOT add exact duplicates of the recording entry.

If a user has their auto-repeat set so quick so that it causes mass deletion (for example pressing alt-d in timer recordings screen), that's their own problem. Me pressing Ctrl+R twice on a recording that's already added should not result in a duplicate tho.

41 minutes ago, tim copperfield said:

My comment was not about auto-repeating

Well, it was about Ctrl+R and auto-repeat:

13 hours ago, tim copperfield said:

If user keeps pressing Ctrl+R on already queued program, it will be added to timer recordings list over and over again.

not about the delete function in general. Anyway, you want DVBViewer to take over control and prevent users from doing punk. I'm quite sure someone will miss it, even if we can't imagine why. Every change breaks someones workflow. :)

11 hours ago, tim copperfield said:

Therefore my suggestion was to NOT add exact duplicates of the recording entry.

You may not be aware of it (since you seem to be new to the forum) but you should know that most folks are using the Recording Service (as freeware included in your DVBViewer license) or DVBViewer Media Server (payware) for all scheduled recording activity? Mainly cuz it is far much better than the limited DVBViewer app recording.  

11 hours ago, Griga said:

Well, it was about Ctrl+R and auto-repeat:

It was not.

Auto-repeat does not engage when you:

1) Press Ctrl+R, release both keys

2) Get recording added

3) Press Ctrl+R again, release both keys

4) Get same recording added.

"If user keeps pressing ctrl+r..." in this case means, the user keeps invoking this key combination. It doesn't even need to happen at the SAME moment. You could open EPG, queue a recording, close it, open it back up, select the same entry and ctrl+r it again to add a useless entry. That was my point.

Auto-repeat never was my concern here.

16 hours ago, majstang said:

but you should know that most folks are using the Recording Service (as freeware included in your DVBViewer license) or DVBViewer Media Server (payware) for all scheduled recording activity? Mainly cuz it is far much better than the limited DVBViewer app recording.  

According to the documentation ( http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/DVBViewer_Recording_Service ) 

this wouldn't work for me as I'm writing a plugin which modifies transport stream packets before passing to DVBViewer.