TBS6983 DVBS/S2 "Has CI Module" unchecked results in "No hardware available"

tim copperfield

My development machine has TBS6983 in it.

It's on a single LNB and only channel A is connected, so I was looking into Hardware dialog to disable Tuner B.

While there, I noticed the "[x] Has CI module" checkbox which was checked. My card most certainly does not have CI, and I've unchecked it.

This resulted in DVBViewer saying "No hardware available" and not able to tune anything.

The documentation mentions an old TechnoTrend card http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Options_Hardware#Has_CI_module but nothing else.

6 minutes ago, Griga said:

...because you tried to tune a channel that is flagged as encrypted.

Excellent answer, do you think the message shown is explaining the situation correctly to users?

Yes, because if there is no CI the hardware can't be used for decrypting.

Please note that the forum rules do not allow discussions about other methods (decrypting by software) that are illegal in Germany. This applies no matter whether it is legal in your country or not.

4 minutes ago, Griga said:

Yes, because if there is no CI the hardware can't be used for decrypting.

I didn't even know this option existed (I just went through my channel list and unchecked 'encrypted' on a bunch of channels that were in fact free to air), and you are correct, the message does not appear after unchecking 'CI module'.

Now, back to my original question, I don't think the message is clearly describing the problem (maybe it does in German, but not in English).

Something along the lines is:

"Current channel is encrypted and cannot be viewed with available hardware" would make MUCH more sense.

The message wording as it is implies there's no hardware available at all (whether its about current channel or any other channels), and is confusing.

Edited by tim copperfield
35 minutes ago, tim copperfield said:

The message wording as it is implies there's no hardware available at all

Don't be so pessimistic. Don't assume that your whole PC is gone if you see such a message. Think positive. At least some hardware may be left over after a DVBViewer failure :)

Well, ok, the message could be a bit more narrative. However, if we include nice little stories for each and every reason that can lead to "no hardware available" the language file translators will hate you for this suggestion (except if you provide all the translations, of course). Maybe a generic "No hardware available for this channel / action" would be better.

8 minutes ago, Griga said:

However, if we include nice little stories for each and every reason that can lead to "no hardware available" the language file translators will hate you for this suggestion

What other situations bring up this error message, I would like to test them.

According to English.lng, this is "dialogs" message #18.

I've just checked german.lng and (according to google translate) it does actually say the following:

18=Für diesen Sender ist kein DVB-Gerät verfügbar!
18 = No DVB device is available for this station!

Which makes much more sense than the English "18=No hardware available!"

thank you.

"There is no matching DVB device available for this channel!"

It's not always right on the mark but will cover more cases satisfyingly than just "no hardware available".

7 hours ago, tim copperfield said:

What other situations bring up this error message, I would like to test them.

Too many for enumerating them all in detail. This error shows up if DVBViewer can't find a device in its hardware list that fulfills the requirements for receiving something due to the reception (tuner) type, modulation system (e.g. DVB-S/S2), encryption, channel group settings (allowing for user defined channel -> hardware assignment), shared LNB settings, all matching devices occupied by tasks with a higher priority (recording) or by other apps from the DVBViewer family (TransEdit, Media Server), hybrid tuners that can't be used simultaneously, unplugged USB devices, device status set to "do not use", errors when building the BDA filter graph letting device initialization fail, etc.

DVBViewer starts with the first device from the top in the Options -> Hardware -> Devices list and checks one device/tuner after the other until it finds one that is usable and working. This implies a priority: Free (!) devices at the top are used with higher priority than equivalent devices at the bottom. You can use drag & drop for re-sorting the list if required.

8 hours ago, Griga said:

"There is no matching DVB device available for this channel!"

So in next release, English text will be changed to this message right?