Lost all Freesat channels

subminiature

Whilst in use I switched DVBViewer from a Freesat channel to Freeview. On selecting a Freesat channel I got a message that the channel is not available from the media server. I downloaded the latest version of DVBViewer and purchased Media Server. I removed the old version and all files and installed first DVBViewer and then Media Server. I dropped all previous history.

I can scan for and see Freeview channels. Scanning Astra 28.2 it finds no channels. 

What can I try next to fix this?

support.zip

Hello,

Have you looked in the Konfiguration directory (C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer\ ) for channels.dat ?

Many Greetings and much luck

Webturtle

channels.dat is dated 27th, as part of the clean new install of DVBViewer.  It is 33Kb and using Notepad looks as I might expect with only Freeview as scanning satellite returns no channels.

I have also tried another sat dish - no channels found.

Try the default channel list for Astra 28° East that is shipped with DVBViewer:

TV/Radio -> Reception Settings/Channel Search -> Select DVB-S as reception type and the transponder list for Astra 28° E -> Load Channel List -> Astra 28.2° (Free)

Obviously you didn't understand... with the steps described above you can load a Freesat channel list so that you don't have to scan. Just select one of these channels and try what happens.

Channel not available from the server.

No Playback

Shown on all channels. The lists, as loaded per your instructions appeared below the previous Freesat list and I didn't see it. I can't view any Freesat channels. It worked until a couple of days ago and has for several years.

On 28.11.2017 at 12:54 AM, subminiature said:

On selecting a Freesat channel I got a message that the channel is not available from the media server.

The svcdebug.log from your support.zip doesn't show such an error. So it's hard to tell what's going on. Please do the following:

1. Stop the Media Server (see tray menu)
  2. Delete the svcdebug.log in the configuration folder.
  3. Start the Media Server
  4. Reproduce the problem by switching to some Freesat channel in DVBViewer.
  5. Stop the Media Server (otherwise the log may be incomplete because half of it is still in some Windows buffers).
  6. Attach the new svcdebug.log (zip it to reduce the size, if necessary).

It's strange - DVBViewer successfully connects, the DMS receives the channel data, allocates a tuner for serving the request, tunes the channel but then nothing happens anymore. Looks like DVBViewer gives up for some unknown reason. No error shows up on the server side.

So we have to look from the other side:

• Launch DVBViewer in Debug Mode (with the -debug command parameter, there is a "DVBViewer Pro (Debug Mode)" start menu item for it).
  • Reproduce the problem.
  • Close DVBViewer.
  • Attach the DVBViewer.log (see configuration folder) here.

In the meantime I'll check which client side reasons can cause the "not available" message.

Now I can see what's going on. DVBViewer tries to tune the frequency on the virtual RTSP network device:

04.12.17 12:21:39.035 TRTSPNetworkStream   SetTuner TType: 1, Freq: 10847...

The DMS receives the request,  allocates the appropriate hardware and tries to tune the frequency

04.12.17 12:21:39.656 TBDAMedion           OpenDevice       bvMedion
04.12.17 12:21:39.656 TRTSPUDPClient       AllocateHardware 7231 BDA DVBS Tuner (5)
04.12.17 12:21:39.657 TBDAMedion           SetTuner         TType: 1, Freq: 10847...

But now it takes quite a long time (approx. 18 seconds) until the call executed by the driver of your DVB card returns:

04.12.17 12:21:58.100 TRTSPUDPClient       SetTuner         Tuner set

The driver does not report an error, so the DMS replies to the DVBViewer request with status code 200 (OK).

04.12.17 12:21:58.100 SETUP                200    

However, an error occurs in DVBViewer before the DMS reply arrives because the Windows network system (WinSock) returns the error code 10060  WSAETIMEDOUT

04.12.17 12:21:54.035 TRTSPNetworkStream   SETUP            10060
04.12.17 12:21:54.035 TfrmMain             SetTuner failed  3

which means the tuning process in the DMS takes too long.

Why does it take so long? My first guess is that the DVB card gets no signal,  so the driver waits for a tuner lock until it times out. You can try to increase the network timeout in DVBViewer in order to avoid the error (Options -> Hardware -> select network device -> Settings -> increase Connection Timeout to 20.000 milliseconds -> OK -> Apply). However, this will be of no avail if the DVB device gets no signal.

So I would rather try to make it work without a network connection first, e.g. by accessing the DVB hardware in DVBViewer directly. For this you need to set the status of the DVB-S network devices to "Do not use" and the status of the hardware tuners to "Normal" (see Options -> Hardware).

Even more suitable for testing purpose would be TransEdit (see download area), because trying different settings is much easier with it: Store TransEdit.exe in the DVBViewer.exe directory -> launch it and select the Astra 28° E transponderlist on the left side of the main window -> select a frequency (10847 V for BBC HD) on the right side -> click "Scan Selected". What happens?

Using Transedit as suggested
Scanner - Astra 28.2E opens

Found 0
Scan

1/1 10847 V | 23000 | DVB-S2 | 8PSK | 2/3
Category Provider

ticked Audio Tracks Already Present Channel and Video only channel.

I have checked the cable with an old Sky Box and it picks up all the channels, not HD as the Pace box is too old.

8 minutes ago, subminiature said:

Using Transedit as suggested
Scanner - Astra 28.2E opens

Found 0
Scan

1/1 10847 V | 23000 | DVB-S2 | 8PSK | 2/3

The parameters are correct. Does the scan work with a DVB-S (not blue S2) transponder, e.g. 10773 H? Does it work with a higher frequency, e.g. 12207 V (Sky News)?

I also tried changes under DVBViewer - sat direct and not the media server (same computer). Claims signal is 31% but no sound or image.

That means, no reception at all. Did the Blackgold DVB-S2 card ever work in some way, with previous DVBViewer versions or other software?

Maybe your outdoor equipment responds to DiSEqC. Change the DiSEqC setting for the Astra 28° E transponder list in TransEdit. Try None, Pos A/ Opt A, Pos B / Opt A. Click Apply on the left side after each change and try to scan again.

The Blackgold card has worked for several years and in use daily until 26th November. It has worked with previous version of DVBViewer. Before I purchased DVBViewer I tried some others that did not work as well - not a stable image. 

Preset position returns "Tunning Error" message window. None, Pos A/ Opt A, Pos B / Opt A display no channels and no messages. 

It looks as if there must be a hardware fault and I need another card. I can borrow one from my daughter when I collect her from University for Christmas. An earlier (old and more used) version of the same Blackgold card.

Edited by subminiature
missed typed software for hardware

Freesat channels are back. I didn't do anything, just rechecked the channels. Not even had a Microsoft update.  This is weird. 

What Blackgod card?

I use two and recently for some reason the most recent drivers (9.2 or something) stopped working properly.

I cleared out the drivers and went back to an earlier version - 8.1.1.2 or something like that - and the cards work better than they did, but still not perfectly.