PCTV 290e - DVB-T2 Problem

Honzik1

Hey,

DVB-T2 started in Czech few months ago. I can tune here old DVB-T muxes well with 100% signal strenght and 100% quality but DVB-T2 mux 28 is with 100% signal too but only 60% quality and many discontinuities (There are often errors in the picture) What could be the problem? My location is in city Pardubice between 2 transmitters (one 70km, and another 20km) and both are transmitting DVB-T2 on same mux 28, could it be problem? Is transmitting on same mux 28 from 2 transmitters problem for Sony CXD2820R chip? I am receiving channels from 70km transmitter in Trutnov - Cerna hora and I think anthena is partly catching mux 28 (DVB-T2) from 20km away transmitter too.

Thank you for the answer!
Jan - Czech Republic

EDIT: I just tested weak room anthena which surely catch signal just from 20km transmitter on mux28 and problem is same. I can tune without picture lose DVB-T1 channel but not DVB-T2 channels. It has discontinuities like each 5 seconds like on picture below.

dvbviewer.jpg

transedit.jpg

Edited by Honzik1

in dvb source i haved set by default clock selection to audio clock, maybe this help.

8 hours ago, bogdan1980 said:

in dvb source i haved set by default clock selection to audio clock, maybe this help.

It have not helped. Seems like receiving DVB-T2 signal cause problems in other DVB software too. Not sure where can be problem.

Edited by Honzik1

It could have other reasons..

The DVB-T2 modulation is more robust than DVB-T. With similar modulation parameters and radiation power the Quality should be higher not lower. But the more effective modulation normally is used to output a much higher transmission rate which in fact results in a quality deterioration. Please check with Transedit's analyzer the data rate (lower right corner) of old and new muxes.

23 hours ago, Griga said:

The PCTV 290e doesn't work with German DVB-T2 either due to a demodulator chip that is not suitable for DVB-T2 version V1.3.1. See here

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/58320-pctv-nanostick-t2-dekodiert-nicht-dvb-t2/?do=findComment&comment=447565

Try to find out which DVB-T2 version is used in Czech.

I found this document in Czech language about our DVB-T2:

http://www.rticz.com/files/D-book_2016_v4-03.pdf

DVB-T2 version is ETSI TS 102 831 (2012) which should be V1.2.1 (because v1.3.1 should be ETSI TS 102 773  if I googled right). PCTV 290e could be capable of v1.2.1 right?

I am sending screenshots from transedit. All muxes are 70km far from me.

1) mux 21, DVB-T1, transmitter only 20kW (no problems with audio/video)

2) mux 28, DVB-T2, transmitter 100kW (problem with video every 3-5 seconds, sometimes with audio)

3) mux 40, DVB-T1, transmitter 100kW(no problems with audio/video)

As I said, there is another transmitter 20km away transmitting DVB-T2 too on 28 mux same as 70km far transmitter which I am using. Could it be a problem?

Any idea why there are many rows with question mark "?" in stream type column?

I coudnt upload images here, because some strange upload limit 10kb...., so here are links:

https://postimg.org/image/qo2nhnqrn/

https://postimg.org/image/xraixa3wz/

https://postimg.org/image/ytkpft7ar/

Edited by Honzik1
vor 4 Stunden schrieb Honzik1:

I cannot upload support.zip here because some strange upload limit 10.24kB, can you fix it please?

The summary of your attachments is limited to 1MB.

You can delete old attachments here if you have not enough attachment space.

I don't find the PCTV driver version in support.zip.

Please look into "device manager" and post installed driver version of your PCTV 290e USB-stick.

INGBEAN

8 hours ago, INGBEAN said:

The summary of your attachments is limited to 1MB.

You can delete old attachments here if you have not enough attachment space.

I don't find the PCTV driver version in support.zip.

Please look into "device manager" and post installed driver version of your PCTV 290e USB-stick.

INGBEAN

OK, I get it. Cannot you just increase that 1MB attachment limit? 1 MB is pretty low for screenshots etc. My previous posts will now miss screenshots which described the problem? For reference at historical posts would be nice to keep attachment there.

I actually use latest driver for PCTV 290e I have found on google which is DriverVer = 03/26/2015, 5.2015.0326.0

Latest PCTV 290e driver I found on PCTV FTP server was DriverVer = 12/06/2013, 5.2013.1206.0

And driver downloaded directly from PCTV website is DriverVer = 09/01/2010, 5.2010.0901.0

All drivers behave same and problem with DVB-T2 is always there. Just with driver 2010 there appear 2 devices in HW list: DVB-T device and DVB-C device. 2013 and 2015 driver shows just DVB-T device in hardware list.

Any idea where could be the problem with DVB-T2  forr PCTV 290e? I do not want to buy new DVB-T2 USB tunner and then find out that problem is still there. Or is there chance to find out if problem is in 290e or at bad signal? Neighbours says that DVB-T2 work without picture issues to them.....

Thanks much for the answer

pctv-290e-driver.jpg

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Honzik1:

Cann you just increase that 1MB attachment limit?

No.

I actually use latest driver for PCTV 290e I have found on google which is DriverVer = 03/26/2015, 5.2015.0326.0

Latest PCTV 290e driver I found on PCTV FTP server was DriverVer = 12/06/2013, 5.2013.1206.0

And driver downloaded directly from PCTV website is DriverVer = 09/01/2010, 5.2010.0901.0

All drivers behave same and problem with DVB-T2 is always there. Just with driver 2010 there appear 2 devices in HW list: DVB-T device and DVB-C device. 2013 and 2015 driver shows just DVB-T device in hardware list.

I didn't know that there is an existing driver of 2015. Thanks for information.

You can contact PCTV support team - see http://www.pctvsystems.com/Support/Supportcontact/tabid/233/language/en-US/Default.aspx -> maybe they have already released an updated driver for PCTV 290e?

By the way: did you always clicked "Scan Devices" in "Options -> Hardware" at DVBViewer each time after installing new driver (and "Detect Devices" in TransEdit")?

Any idea where could be the problem with DVB-T2  forr PCTV 290e? I do not want to buy new DVB-T2 USB tunner and then find out that problem is still there. Or is there chance to find out if problem is in 290e or at bad signal? Neighbours says that DVB-T2 work without picture issues to them.....

Do you have a chance to test your system with antenna of your neighbours?

Do you use a passive or active indoor antenna? I don't know the receiving situation on your site, but maybe an outdoor or roof antenna is the better choice?

Your target is: Get the number 0 in "Missing" column of TransEdit!

I don't know, if your CPU i5-4670K with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 is powerful enough for PC to decode HVEC codec.

This question goes  to DVB-T2 users in Germany...

Best regards from Austria!

INGBEAN

12 minutes ago, INGBEAN said:

By the way: did you always clicked "Scan Devices" in "Options -> Hardware" at DVBViewer each time after installing new driver (and "Detect Devices" in TransEdit")?

Yes.

13 minutes ago, INGBEAN said:

Do you have a chance to test your system with antenna of your neighbours?

Do you use a passive or active indoor antenna? I don't know the receiving situation on your site, but maybe an outdoor or roof antenna is the better choice?

I live in apartment house with shared anthena which is on roof, so I should have same quality and signal strength as my neighbours.

16 minutes ago, INGBEAN said:

Your target is: Get the number 0 in "Missing" column of TransEdit

Yeah I know.

17 minutes ago, INGBEAN said:

I don't know, if your CPU i5-4670K with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 is powerful enough for PC to decode HVEC codec.

I have tested 4K H265 video and my PC can handle it with like 50-60 CPU usage since GTX 770 has not native HEVC hardware support.

I will try to ask PCTV directly but I dont give it much chance.

Do you have good experience with any of these USB DVB-T2 sticks?

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_USB_Devices

I have found that Geniatech T230 and Astrometa DVB-T2 are available at Aliexpress.

Thanks!

Hello Honzik1!

Here in Austria I have very good experience with DVBSky T330 USB-stick.

I recommend to buy it at this distributor, because you get an excellence support and they have a DIRECT contact to manufacturer (for driver updates):

http://www.bettershopping.eu/de_CZ/shop/PC_Hardware/TV_Karten_Boxen/DVB-C_Kabel/ART02388_DVBSky_USB_DVB-C_T_T2_FTA_T330_CD.html

or

https://www.amazon.de/DVBSky-Empfänger-Raspberry-Erweiterungstuner-Receiver/dp/B072FP1TX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=dvbsky t330&language=cs_CZ&qid=1515089869&sr=8-1

Best regards!

INGBEAN

12 hours ago, INGBEAN said:

Hello Honzik1!

Here in Austria I have very good experience with DVBSky T330 USB-stick.

I recommend to buy it at this distributor, because you get an excellence support and they have a DIRECT contact to manufacturer (for driver updates):

http://www.bettershopping.eu/de_CZ/shop/PC_Hardware/TV_Karten_Boxen/DVB-C_Kabel/ART02388_DVBSky_USB_DVB-C_T_T2_FTA_T330_CD.html

or

https://www.amazon.de/DVBSky-Empfänger-Raspberry-Erweiterungstuner-Receiver/dp/B072FP1TX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=dvbsky t330&language=cs_CZ&qid=1515089869&sr=8-1

Best regards!

INGBEAN

I found it in Czech republic too, but it is 3-4x more expensive than Geniatech T230 and Astrometa DVB-T2 here. Are there some problems with these cheaper DVB-T2 USB sticks?

Thanks!

Hello Honzik1!

Sorry for late reply, but a friend of me has a Geniatech T230 and I wanted to integrate his information to my post.

Well, we have 2 problems in relation to DVB-T2.

Problem 1: DVB-T2 standard has a lot of configuration options.

So broadcasting companies of different countries are using various settings.

Problem 2: You never know which chipset (tuner & demodulator) is installed in your USB-stick.

I have here two identical USB-stick chassis of same manufacturer - but the chips on board are different.

In combination with "problem 1" you have various behavior in different countries. :disgust:

According upper problem descriptions, a manufacturer support is very helpful.

That's why I recommend to use the DVBSky T330, which works perfectly in Austria and Germany.

To be honest: 40 Euro is not really expensive, if you get a reception sensitive product with good support.

If you buy a cheap product and run into troubles, you invest a lot of time and angriness to find a solution!

My friend has a Geniatech T230 and it does NOT work as expected here in Austria. :wacko:

Best regards!

INGBEAN

19 hours ago, INGBEAN said:

Hello Honzik1!

Sorry for late reply, but a friend of me has a Geniatech T230 and I wanted to integrate his information to my post.

Well, we have 2 problems in relation to DVB-T2.

Problem 1: DVB-T2 standard has a lot of configuration options.

So broadcasting companies of different countries are using various settings.

Problem 2: You never know which chipset (tuner & demodulator) is installed in your USB-stick.

I have here two identical USB-stick chassis of same manufacturer - but the chips on board are different.

In combination with "problem 1" you have various behavior in different countries. :disgust:

According upper problem descriptions, a manufacturer support is very helpful.

That's why I recommend to use the DVBSky T330, which works perfectly in Austria and Germany.

To be honest: 40 Euro is not really expensive, if you get a reception sensitive product with good support.

If you buy a cheap product and run into troubles, you invest a lot of time and angriness to find a solution!

My friend has a Geniatech T230 and it does NOT work as expected here in Austria. :wacko:

Best regards!

INGBEAN

In Czech there is probably no official distribution of T330. It cost 65-70 Eur here. About T230 - what do you mean exactly by "it does NOT work as expected"?

What chip does DVBSKy T330 use? T230 should use Silicon Labs Si2148 by this site: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_USB_Devices

Edited by Honzik1
Silicon Labs Si2148
Am ‎11‎.‎01‎.‎2018 um 08:47 schrieb Honzik1:

About T230 - what do you mean exactly by "it does NOT work as expected"?

According my friend, DVB-T2 reception of T230 in Austria is only possible with CrazyScan2, NOT with DVBViewer.

But in Croatia it works with DVBViewer fine.

The root cause is a buggy Geniatech driver in combination with used DVB-T2 settings of austrian broadcasting company.

Maybe T230 stick works in Czech? Just test it on your site.

Other forum readers would be very happy to get your feedback.

INGBEAN

• 2 months later...
On ‎08‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 12:28 PM, Honzik1 said:

Problem with PCTV 290e is fixed in Czech. I didnt know what happened but before since 1 month ago, there are no losing packets. 

Dear Honzik1,

It seems that your problem was tied to the modulation parameters of DVB-T2 and the possibilities of the PCTV driver you were using. Try this one http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/support/support_solohd.html

This driver provides the normal functioning of 290e even with MPLP mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Am ‎08‎.‎04‎.‎2018 um 11:28 schrieb Honzik1:

Problem with PCTV 290e is fixed in Czech. I didnt know what happened but before since 1 month ago, there are no losing packets. 

Hello Honzik1!

Thanks for your feedback.

INGBEAN