Accessing Web Interface from internet

Alan_SP

I see that I have option Allow access from internet in Web Settings for two types of user to Web Interface.

I know how to access web interface within my home network, just by using computer's internal IP address (I defined it as static) and it works great, I can access it with my tablets, phones, other computers etc. But, I guess that this option Allow access from Internet would allow me to access web interface outside my home network? For example, I could be somewhere in town, use my phone and program recording from it by just connecting to Media Server's Web Interface.

What would be actual address, how to connect to Web interface? Or I misunderstood what this option should do?

EDIT: I tried to look it up in wiki, but it doesn't have this option described as it covers only old recording service.

Edited by Alan_SP

It requires to configure port forwarding in your router.

However, opening your private network for access from the internet must be done with care because the world is full of hackers that want to penetrate your private sphere. A good password is a must. Only forward the Web Server port (8089 by default), never other DMS ports because they are not password-protected. Additional measures like a VPN are recommended.