H265/ HEVC

I’ve recently upgraded my TV to UHD. My PC now connects to it with a recommended resolution of 3840x2160. My Intel Graphics (i7 processor) has selected 29 FPS and I’ve left it at that for now. 

At the moment the BBC are trialling UHD over the internet but at some point they might launch a satellite channel which has got me thinking about the status of my current hardware and software.

My current satellite path is a Hauppauge satellite card in my PC, DVBViewer to record the transmissions and VideoRedo to edit them.

I would expect that both DVBViewer and VideoRedo will need to be upgraded to better support H265 and it is my understanding that both are in the process of upgrade.

When DVBViewer issues this update will a UHD stream be recordable or will the Hauppage hardware have to be changed too? If so, I think it won’t be worth it.

I am already dabbling in UHD thanks to files and Handbrake but I do not use the PC for playback, as a direct UHD file to the TV’s player avoids upscaling issues.

I can see the 2 demo channels UHD 4K on Freesat with DVBViewer no problem.

DVBViewer 6.x is capable of recording / playing HEVC, even UHD. It doesn't need to be updated.

The DVB card isn't concerned with video formats. Again no need for an update.

Regarding HEVC UHD, the most important thing is a suitable video decoder (see Options -> DirectX in DVBViewer). If decoding is done by software it eats up a whole lot of CPU power. However, a fast i7 CPU should do (it does here). Nevertheless a graphics card that supports decoding of HEVC with 10 bit color depth (!) via DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) is recommendable. Search for it in the web.

DXVA in combination with the LAV video decoder works for many people. However, the LAV decoder isn't suitable for HEVC UHD software decoding in DVBViewer, so another decoder like Cyberlink or Lentoid must be used.

My AMD RX480 copes very easily with UHD (using LAV decoder)

SES UHD Demo06-02 20-00-38.png

Thanks for the replies!

I've now found the demo channels and got both channels to play back on my PC. However, I did experience some stuttering in the play back.

I don't have a dedicated graphics card as I find the graphics built in to my i7-7700 processor OK for what i currently do (I'm not a game player).

Mind you my HEVC decoder is currently set at LAV with EVR video rendering. The only other option i currently have is Arcsoft. This seems to have less stuttering but in both cases lip synch is out.

I've now tried a brief recording and a stutter that i noticed "live" was not present on the file which leads me to wonder whether the problems is the graphics processor feeding the display rather than stream recording. If so, i can be a bit more relaxed about that. I should make a longer recording and see whether lip synch is an issue.

I will play about with it a bit more.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Edited by cp2
typo

CPU load?

IMO the Lentoid decoder is the fastest HEVC software decoder. However, using it in DVBViewer for HEVC UHD may require some tweaking. Proceed as follows:

1. Unpack the Lentoid ZIP to some place in the Program Files (x86) directory, e.g. DVBViewer\Filters\Decoder\
  2. Launch reg.bat with admin rights. Or, if you don't want to register unnecessary components that DVBViewer doesn't need, launch the Radlight Filter Manager with admin rights, click "Register", navigate to Lentoid directory and select the file hevcdecfltr.dll.
  3. (Re-)start DVBViewer and select the Lentoid Decoder on Options -> DirectX Playback Components for HEVC. Check how UHD works with it.
  4. If you get artifacts the buffer size in the DVBViewer Filter (DVBSource) must be increased. Please take note of the last but one point here. If your DVBSource.ini is still empty, two lines must be added:

[Params]

HEVCBufferSize=1024

...or whatever value makes it work.

• Like 1

I recorded some clips off the demo channel and transferred the files to my NAS and played them back on my TV directly from the NAS. Stuttering present when playing "live" on the TV were not evident on the TV's player. Lip synch was OK too.

This seems to confirm that whilst the stream is being recorded cleanly the Intel Graphics display cannot quite cope. I could see that the CPU was working quite hard.

I then installed the recommended Lentoid decoder and the stuttering no longer appeared evident. I may not be the full answer - a real graphics card is probably the solution - but it should do for me.

My TV has a Freesat tuner built in so I only need to run an extra cable to the LNB if i just wanted to watch something live. If I record on the PC I would play it back NAS to TV as the TV supports HDR 10 and HLG which my current PC's configuration.,

Things have moved on further than I thought. Thanks for the advice.