Chinese unbranded T2/C tuners

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with one of these two with DVBViewer? (Under Windows 10)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DVB-T2-Receiver-Digital-USB-TV-Stick-TV-Receiver-With-Aerial-Remote-Control-F3Q7/232785852597?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-DVB-T2-T-DVB-C-TV-Tuner-Stick-USB-Dongle-PC-Laptop-for-Windows-7-8/282882676519

Also if anyone knows specifics about these (chipset, driver availability online) I would be interested.

For T2/T/C usage.

Thanks!

Hi, without the driver it is hard to tell. According to the specs (DVB-T2, -C, DAB, FM) i would say it is based on Realtek RT238X, but this is just a hard guess - even if i'm quite confident that the chip is used. The price is more than ok, but keep in mind that taxes will put on top, so you will be probably better of, if you buy a similar device on amazon. 

I'm not sure about situation with drivers, when I read more about it I found information that if Windows 10 isn't specifically mentioned, driver doesn't support it. Of course, it may not be so, but also, it may be, when they explicitly mention that.

If you buy it, please inform how it works, as it is very cheap. And, mentioning customs, as it is below 22€ (or very close to it), it should be free from all customs duties within EU (or till they change this law, I heard they're working on changing it so all parcels, independent of their price would be subject to customs duties, but when this will happen, I'm not sure).

Yeah taxes shouldn't be problem as it's under 22€ (at least in Finland).

Anyways ordered cheaper one, comes to around 16€.

Will get back whenever it arrives.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got it this week and now have had time to test for little bit. 

- DVBViewer lists it as: ASTROMETA DTV Filter. From google: http://www.astrometa.com.tw/integrated_en.html seems to have same drivers that was on disc

- RTL2832U according to device manager

- Remote didn't work for me. Not that I would've used it. It probably uses commands only official program understands.

- Different drivers for C/T most likely means you can't have 

- There's some discontinuities. That could be due to bad quality Cable signal, although Signal is reported as 100%. Appears as small corruption for few frames. 

• Like 1

But, it looks like it works just fine (other then small problems with recorded signal) with DVBViewer?

When talking about problem with some errors in recordings, I have them too with my Hauppauge card (DVB-T signal), but it is on 50%, so it may be some real problems with signal strength in my case. I got it with original Hauppauge software also, so it may be something I can expect with my antenna and location.

Yeah it's very fine for price.

Apart from small image errors, problem could be transcoding, but eac3to seems to demux it fine (and fixes audio/video sync, just like ProjectX does for MPEG2 channels).

For me T signal is error free with ~50% (with Artec T14BR).

• Like 1

Well, I don't have errors all the time, but sometimes there's some relatively small errors, it is visible, but it is not a problem. And, sometimes I don't get errors at all.

Only thing is, these errors I don't see at all with my TV set, or with my dedicated hardware recorder (LG HR500). I guess that USB tuner is a bit more sensitive to signal strength.

But, it is nice to know we can go with cheap Chinese tuners.

• 4 weeks later...

Astrometa DVB-T2 white dongle works ok with dvdbviewer ,though you'll probably need a proper aerial.

Mine has Dvb-t/t2 ,Dvb-c , Fm ,Dab printed on the front.

There's 2 versions of the  official drivers available ,easy to find via google.

or click here:

http://www.astrometa.com.tw/integrated_en.html

Also github page here with lots of info:

https://github.com/eladkarako/DVB-T2

I also have a small exe file called Astrometa Switch  ,to switch DVB-T/T2 <-> DVB-C for the Astrometa tuner.

I got it from comments section here:

http://forum2.progdvb.com/viewtopic.php?t=8845&start=45

Only thing i noticed is the same thing mentioned above about losing small parts of the image or signal which could just be a bad reception.

Any way ,i'm gonna pick up something a bit better before buying DVBViewer full version.

Hauppauge seem to have some good usb dongles under £50..

Edited by Ray Brogan
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/12/2018 at 6:48 AM, oldman82 said:

Only thing i noticed is the same thing mentioned above about losing small parts of the image or signal which could just be a bad reception.

Recently bought same device, and noticed a same losing small parts of the image.

Done some investigation, and found that it not caused by "bad reception", else something at DVBViewer/DMS level.

It Excellent works in preview window of Trans Edit, in case when Astrometa device detected directly in Trans Edit, and Trans Edit previewing directly from detected device.

If I detect Astrometa in DMS, then detect DVB-T2 device as RTSP in Trans Edit, Here losing part of images remains.

If it can work perfectly (many hours) in Trans Edit preview window, It also should work in DMS and DVBViewer, just need to check what a difference between two kinds of stream reception at developers layer.

support.zip

Yes. discontinuities is growing up, in DVBViewer.

But if I open DVBViever Filter property from right click menu in Trans Edit (when Astrometa device detected and working directly in Trans Edit), discontinuities is always 0.

Hi.

It looks like DVBViewer itself causes to to this discontinuities, because, streaming from DMS to android device, or to LG WebApp TV workig good, till I open one connection to DVB-T2 from remote, or local DVBViewer client.

Enough to open one DVBViewer client, connected to this device, all others, android's and LG tv affected and losing small parts of the image too. Closing DVBViewer client's, or switching it's channel's to other devices, resolve picture issues on other's non DVBViewer devices.

Also DMS recording working good, if no DVBViewer client's connected to this device, else, picture fragmentation's recorded.

In my Area only one t2 frequency transmitted (514MHZ), all 6 channels can be opened simultaneously on different non DVBViewer devices, and working good.

Hope this information will help better understand where are problem is.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, yakov2905 said:

Yes. discontinuities is growing up, in DVBViewer.

This means bad reception (quite unlikely in your case), or the Astrometa device driver is losing data because its buffering can't compensate delays.

Which kind of streaming is used for the clients? The same for all of them? Basically there is HTTP and RTSP (= Sat>IP, usually by means of virtual RTSP network devices in the DVBViewer or TransEdit hardware list). HTTP and RTSP are handled by different server units within the DMS.

I'm not sure, but I think android app using HTTP.

LG tv connected thru upnp, I suspect it's also using HTTP.

DVBViever uses RTSP.

I tried to detect Astrometa device in local DVBViever directly, as same as, it working good in Trans Edit, but unsuccessfully.

Maybe some configuration of DVBViewer itself  causes discontinuities?

In case of direct device detection in DVBViever, it's not use any, HTTP or RTSP protocols, so why discontinuities, compare to same configuration in Trans Edit?

Now I tried to open T2 channel on remote DVBViewer as URL from DMS, and its work OK.

Only one difference I see, maybe it causes discontinuities, is signal strength. As upnp url, signal is always 100%, compare to RTSP and direct hardware detect 80% - 100%.

Maybe DVBViewer queries signal strength from device thru RTSP protocol same as from direct device detect, and Trans Edit/DMS doesn't do it, or do it with another intensity?

30 minutes ago, yakov2905 said:

DVBViever uses RTSP.

Try to use HTTP with Playback -> UPnP Server. Any difference?

32 minutes ago, yakov2905 said:

In case of direct device detection in DVBViever, it's not use any, HTTP or RTSP protocols, so why discontinuities, compare to same configuration in Trans Edit?

I don't know. I would like to see a TransEdit.ini with the hardware list containing the Astrometa device. The one in the support.zip only contains RTSP devices.

If a driver is prone to losing data, even slight differences, e.g. resulting from interactions with the application or other drivers may cause drop outs. In my experience it can't be solved on the application level - I never had success in similar cases. You can read more about the basic problem here (see last section: background information). Unfortunately the tool is not usable under Windows 8 and later.

Just now, yakov2905 said:

As upnp url, signal is always 100%, compare to RTSP

UPnP / HTTP doesn't transfer the original signal strength / quality. 100% just means: network connection is ok.

Attached new support.zip. Should contain TransEdit.ini configured Astrometa device.

Temporary resolved issue, little tricky, I added to DVBViever this channels as IPTV (upup), and attached EPG from DVB-T2 to IPTV channels by GrabDVB and XEPG import.

support.zip

4 hours ago, yakov2905 said:

Should contain TransEdit.ini configured Astrometa device

The Astrometa handling in DVBViewer Pro, DMS and TransEdit is virtually identical. However, sequence and timing differ, because in TransEdit you first have to analyze or scan before the preview can be started.

4 hours ago, yakov2905 said:

, I added to DVBViever this channels as IPTV (upup), and attached EPG from DVB-T2 to IPTV channels by GrabDVB and XEPG import.

There are easier ways: Browser on the Client PC -> DMS Web Interface -> Links page -> HTTP Channel List (Original Streams) creates a M3U playlist containing your channels (filtered by options on the Configuration page -> Show in Channel List). Open the M3U file with a text editor. The contained URLs look like this:

#EXTINF:-1,BBC One HD (AC3 eng)
http://localhost:7522/upnp/channelstream/[Channel ID].ts

Use search & replace to append ?pids=18 to all URLs (e.g. by replacing .ts by .ts?pids=18). It will let the DMS include the original EPG data in the HTTP stream.

Save the change and drag & drop the M3U list into the DVBViewer Channel Editor. That's all...

On 5/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, Griga said:

The Astrometa handling in DVBViewer Pro, DMS and TransEdit is virtually identical. However, sequence and timing differ, because in TransEdit you first have to analyze or scan before the preview can be started.

If I open analyze when preview, discontinues grows up. Without analyzing, work OK.

Also each refresh of web interface, causes discontinues too, even HTTP stream.

May be it possible to add config (tweak), disables analyze signal for some tuners?

On 5/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, Griga said:

Use search & replace to append ?pids=18

Nice guide, but appending pids transfers record control to original channel, means when I creating recording timer by EPG on UPNP channel (which is a favorite), In time line, timer doesn't appears on channel, where was created, else, appears on original (hidden) dvb-t2 channel.

+ It gets original EPG, but only actual, may be + recent few future programs. It isn't gets week forward for all channels on same freq.

So, in my case, solution without pids, is better.

• 2 months later...

I have same problem, picture is good.

On the old one DVB-T2 Astrometa  came with: RTL2832P (E7N1701 ....) + Panasonic MN88473 ... Signal meter is OK

On the new one I bought Astrometa came with: RTL2832P (HBF7401 ....) + Sony D2837ER ... Signal meter is (wrong) show 100%

Does problem with drivers or ...

If I leave aside the signal strength meter, whose is the better demodulator panasonic or sony?

Edited by dtaurus
  • 6 months later...

I'm also using the Astrometa DVB-T2 tuner with ProgDVB and I get constant video glitches, as if the signal was bad (but it isn't). They're worse with HD channels video compared to SD ones. (BTW, I receive DVB-T channels only here, not DVB-T2.)

Is there a solution to this?

2 hours ago, cooker said:

BTW, I receive DVB-T channels only here, not DVB-T2.

LOL there are a TON of good Tuner (Cards) like Hauppauge one on the Internet for sale for less than nothing since many Country switched to DVB-T2 only like Austria.

Look in Ebay or your lokal Selling Platform to find some good one and use them.I like to use VLC to watch TV on DVB-T2 since I can edit everything manually.

Hello,

I'm using Astrometa DVB-T2 HD Sticks with the German DVB-T2 HD and DVBViewer. Video and Audio is good. They are good for DVB-T too, but we haven't DVB-T in Germany anymore. Astrometa Sticks can be found at Amazon for instance under "TOOGOO USB 2.0 Digital DVB-T / T2 SDR + DAB + UKW HDTV TV Tuner Receiver Stick" for 19,61 € at the moment.

DVB-T2 HD is a bit critical. Some centimeters difference in the positioning of the antenna can make a great difference. So one has to push the antenna back and forth to get a good reception.

Many greetings

Webturtle

Update: I now tried using the player from Astrometa (TVRPlayer) and it works fine with it, no more video glitches. But the software is frankly not that good overall.

With ProgDVB and VLC it still glitches (with VLC it's the worst, it's unwatchable).

It's not my signal/antenna, I know that the signal is good, at least for certain channels. The problem is that this Astrometa device requires something special to work and it doesn't seem to play well with 3rd party players. I have another USB DVB-T device and that one works fine and I've used several such devices over the years.

I didn't try with DVBViewer yet (I didn't even know it existed and I thought this was a generic DVB forum :)). I might try that too, eventually.

17 hours ago, Between 3 and 26 character said:

LOL there are a TON of good Tuner (Cards) like Hauppauge one on the Internet for sale for less than nothing since many Country switched to DVB-T2 only like Austria.

Look in Ebay or your lokal Selling Platform to find some good one and use them.I like to use VLC to watch TV on DVB-T2 since I can edit everything manually.

I'm going to need DVB-T2 soon, that's why I bought this stick in the first place.

Update2: I now tried with DVBViewer and it's the same as with ProgDVB: glitchy video streams.

So Astrometa's TVRPlayer is the only one that doesn't glitch constantly when using this USB stick (on DVB-T, maybe with DVB-T2 channels it's different, but I didn't try that yet).