Using DVBViewer on more than one location - channel management

Alan_SP

I use DVBViewer on two locations, so I needed to scan twice, with totally different results.

Problem is how DVBViewer don't allow to use two root locations for initial scan (or I'm not sure how to call it). I managed without problem to create custom roots for my two locations where I copied channels in order I like, but I didn't find way to do this for automatic scan.

When scanning there's option to choose root's name (DVB-T Europe, or something like that, using ini file of same name), but I didn't manage to change that name and that is reflected in new root.

I even went and used TransEdit and created ini file with name for this location and appropriate frequencies, but using it in scan wasn't reflected in root's name.

It would be nice if we can use more than one root for initial frequency scan.

Thing is, I had problem, as although there are different frequencies on two locations, channel names are same. And one frequency was "luckily" sharing same frequency from first location with a lot programs, so at first I thought I can't find that frequency and that there's some problem. Only later I found out where channels were located (sorting was done by frequency).

Anyway, ability to use different roots for different locations (or scans in one location) would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Alan_SP said:

Problem is how DVBViewer don't allow to use two root locations for initial scan (or I'm not sure how to call it).

I'm not sure what you did, but in DVBViewer 6.x you can easily direct scan results to a root folder of your choice by entering the desired root name in the "Target Root" input field on the Channel List Editor -> Channel Search panel. Of course you have to set it up before the scan starts. However, this setting only applies to new scan results. Already existing channels will be updated, but not moved to the new root.

I even went and used TransEdit and created ini file with name for this location and appropriate frequencies, but using it in scan wasn't reflected in root's name.

TransEdit 4.2 allows to define different DVB-T/C networks by using the "Net No." input field in the main window and also to direct scan results to a target root:

• Perform a scan at location A with the default setting (Net No. 0). Use the Export Settings -> Root input field in the scan results window to enter/select the name of the target root in DVBViewer.
  • For performing a scan at location B, set Net No. to 1, click Apply on the left side  in order to assign it to the transponder list (or even better: create a second transponder list with Net No. 1). Use the Export Settings -> Root input field in the scan results window to enter/select a different target root name.

Though DVBViewer doesn not expose the Net No. in the UI, it fully supports this setting, which means, it will regard scan results at location A and B as different channels belonging to different DVB networks, even if all other parameters are the same.

Using the Net No. setting is recommendable if scan results / channels from different locations get muddled up somehow, e.g. when using favourites or timer recordings.

22 hours ago, Griga said:

I'm not sure what you did, but in DVBViewer 6.x you can easily direct scan results to a root folder of your choice by entering the desired root name in the "Target Root" input field on the Channel List Editor -> Channel Search panel. Of course you have to set it up before the scan starts. However, this setting only applies to new scan results. Already existing channels will be updated, but not moved to the new root.

Yes, I noticed this possibility of editing root name. What I tried to do, without getting new root:

1) I first tried to select different root with drop down menu to select different root.

2) Then, I tried to change offered root name manually, clicking on name. I successfully changed name in window, but it wasn't reflected in new root after scan.

3) Last, I created new ini file, as described in first post, used it, it produced new root name corresponding to ini file name in appropriate place (as in 2)), but it also failed to reflect in actual new root after scan.

As described, new name was in option, I can see it, but it never successfully created new root with different name.

I also noticed there's option to use date for scan, which, from my memory inserts time stamp as name, but I didn't tested this, so I'm not sure if it will work.

Scan should produce same channels (i.e. same names), but with different frequencies, as I'm still in same country, but in different location. I guess it should work, related to your last sentence. Or maybe not?

I guess from what you wrote, things I did (at least 2) and 3)) should give me result I wanted and expected to happen. I'm on latest version, and my support.zip file can be found here (to save a bit of space: https://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/61419-epg-problem-sometimes-theres-no-epg-information/?do=findComment&comment=474157 ), things are still same.

So, as it didn't worked as expected, I guess that some bug is reason.

Second method I didn't know, it may work, but I didn't tested it.

Edited by Alan_SP

So, as it didn't worked as expected, I guess that some bug is reason.

I've checked it. It works as intended.

I guess the reason for the new root not being created is

23 hours ago, Griga said:

However, this setting only applies to new scan results. Already existing channels will be updated, but not moved to the new root.

So if a scan at location B finds the location A channels again (from DVBViewer's point of view), but with a different frequency, DVBViewer will update the frequency of the existing channels, but not create new entries in the specified root folder. For DVBViewer "same channel" basically means same Service ID, same (Transport)Stream ID and same Audio PID. You can check these values in the Channel Editor. For cases like this the Net No. setting has been introduced in TransEdit.

Delete all DVB-T channels in the Channel editor (by deleting the root folder) so that no channels can be updated and try another scan with a target root named "this one will work". I'm sure it will :)

OK, so I need to work on this through TransEdit, to get new root for different location.

And yes, I guess that all info about channels is the same, they are only on different frequency, everything else probably is the same.

Maybe if it could be made easier to work with two (or more locations)? That there's some setting within scanning program, when we want to stress we are in new location and force using new root?

Anyway, now I have it setup as I like it, but the biggest problem was that one frequency was used with two muxes, but different one and one was with a lot of programs (this one is paid, with T2, other is "regular" T), so it was hard for me to spot that channels ended in that directory. Only after I saw frequency in TransEdit, I looked at this directory and saw missing channels.