Selecting Picture in Picture crahses DVBViewer.

rco133

Hi.

Today I wanted to try out Picture in Picture in my new DVBViewer 6.1.1 installation. In the old 5.6.4 it worked without any problems, but now DVBViewer crashes instantly when I press Picture in Picture.

I have started DVBViewer in debug mode and afterwards when DVDViewer had crashed, I ran the support Tool.

support.zip is attached.

Am I doing something wrong? I have plenty of free tuners, and all I am doing is selecting Picture in Picture from the TV/Radio menu.

rco133

support.zip

Looks like double playback triggers the crash. What is the video format? HEVC?

I've just tried it in a similar configuration (Windows 10, DVBViewer 6.1.1, German DVB-T2, HEVC, LAV Decoder, NVidia Geforce GT 1030), but got no crash.

It is H.264 video.

Maybe it has something to do with the upgrade from 5.6.4 to 6.1.1.

I actually have it working now.

To start with I just chose the Picture in Picture from the TV/Radio menu. This made DVDViewer crash every single time.

What I did to make it Work, after reading the changelog, was to go to the channel editor and then from there right click on a channel and select Picture in Picture from that menu. Then it worked fine, and opened that channel in a small window.

After doing this I can now also choose Picture in Picture from the TV/Radio menu directly, and it will open the channel I am alrerady on in s small window. Which it for some reason wasn't able to do before.

Maybe the explanation on how I got it to Work, can tell something about why it happened in the first place.

rco133

45 minutes ago, rco133 said:

It is H.264 video.

I tried after copying the PiP settings from your setup.xml to my setup.xml. I got no crash, but using the MS Decoder didn't work well - PiP playback was more or less stop & go (maybe due to the old ATI graphics card in that PC). After selecting LAV as PiP H.246 Decoder it was ok.

50 minutes ago, rco133 said:

Maybe it has something to do with the upgrade from 5.6.4 to 6.1.1.

Maybe... please let me know if you find out more about it.

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I know that this is a very old thread, but just wanted to inform that I have had the exact same experience today when I wanted to use PiP on DVDViewer 7.1.0.0.

When I right clicked a station in the channel list, and chose PiP a small window would appear for about 1 second, and then DVBViewer would crash. I tried this 5 times, and it crashed every single time.

I then found this old thread, and did the exact same thing that solved it for me back then.

I went to the channel editor, and in there I right clicked the exact same channel as I did with the crashes before and selected PiP. And then it just worked.

And since then it also works from the channel list.

I have no clue what the difference is between choosing PiP from the channel list and the channel editor, but it must be doing something else when doing it from the channel editor.

Anyway. Just wanted to inform that I had experienced the exact same thing again, and the solution was the exact same thing as back then.

rco133

On 6/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, rco133 said:

When I right clicked a station in the channel list, and chose PiP a small window would appear for about 1 second, and then DVBViewer would crash.

I still cannot reproduce it. Components that are involved in processing/displaying two videos at the same time: video decoder and its settings (particularly hardware accelerated decoding), video renderer, graphics card driver. Changing one of them or the settings may fix the issue.

Some time ago I got no picture after opening PiP on a second monitor. It only happened with the EVR Enhanced Video Renderer. Debugging revealed a timing issue. Querying the EVR for its status too early yielded an error. This has been fixed by adding a delay (in DVBViewer 7.1.0). However, lately I experienced occasional DVBViewer crashes when opening PiP on the second monitor. I can avoid it by selecting another video renderer for PiP (e.g. MadVR).

On 6/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, rco133 said:

I have no clue what the difference is between choosing PiP from the channel list and the channel editor, but it must be doing something else when doing it from the channel editor.

There is no significant difference in the DVBViewer code. Maybe it happens due to a different memory layout... if erroneous code writes data to a wrong memory location, it may affect something that causes a crash or something that doesn't matter...

Hi.

Np. I just thought that I would write it since it was the exact same experience as last time, and the fix was also exactly the same.

I thought that maybe choosing PiP from the Channel Editor menu, might initialize something differently than doing it from the Channel List.

I don't use PiP much, but just wanted to follow two football matches at the same time :-)

And I could do that as soon as I had chosen PiP from inside the Channel Editor menu.

rco133