Video codec Choice for PIP image

Etienne

I'm a little frustrating with PIP, more and more advertising here :)

My video card is quite old, and i won't change it before UHD content will be real.

I't a Ati HD 5450, and she's working well for single main HD image .

When adding PIP, i have stuttering (main and less important PIP image)

So first i had try to adjust codec for PIP, search in rignt click .. no menu.

Strange thing i have set cyberlink codec at directx settings, and PIP chose LAV filter ( i have also Microsoft codec because I'm on W10).

So my question:

1) can i set the video codec in fixed way for PIP somewhere ?

2) If no is it possible to add a sub menu for that ?

3) PIP is only here for my to "see" what is happening on a secondary channel. Of my point of view, it' perhaps possible to put a special render for PIP that renders only I frames .. and reduce CPU / graphic ressources.

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Etienne:

I't a Ati HD 5450, and she's working well for single main HD image .

ATI HD 4300/4500 here under Windows 7. Working well for HD in the main window and PiP in window mode (except if the main window is located on a second monitor). However, in full screen mode the GPU seems to be overloaded.

Zwischenablage01.png

After trying this and that...

If you have a poor GPU like the one in old ATI cards, the secret key for fluent double HD playback in the main window and PiP (even in full screen mode) is load balancing. That means, don't put all the load for decoding two video streams on the GPU, but also let the CPU do something.

Main window video should be decoded by the graphics card hardware (e.g. by using the LAV video decoder configured for DXVA2 native on its property page), and PiP video by software, provided the CPU is fast enough for it. I'm using the old ffdshow pure software decoder. It works pretty well this way and also solves PiP problems on the second monitor.

Zwischenablage02.png

Thanks Griga for prompt response as usual.

I haven't see the settings for PIP's Directx lol, wasen't go there ... perhaps strapped because never set intermediate menu for DVD.

I havent use DVD since years, all datas are on Hard / Usb disks todays.

So best settings for my machine for dxva is Cyberlink + Cyberlink . I have try under w10 , w7 and xp with Overlay on same machine.

Then i have loaded ffdshow Video decoder (no dxva setting) , set this codec for PIP, and yes no more stuttering.

But my CPU rise up to 40 % in this case, it's a old dual core E6500 ... This is not ideal situation...

But I keep this setting because PIP is only for temporary viewing.

Shame we havent't a filter that render only I pictures (without decompression), I'm sure this is the solution for old hardware. (or for upcomming UHD + UHD PIP)

I can't try your 1080p HEVC DVB-T2 Broadcasting , Is it playing fluent with PIP ?

vor einer Stunde schrieb Etienne:

But my CPU rise up to 40 % in this case, it's a old dual core E6500 ... This is not ideal situation...

If you want to change it, you need to buy new hardware.

Shame we havent't a filter that render only I pictures (without decompression), I'm sure this is the solution for old hardware.

Intra frames need decompression as well. Displaying only intra frames would make stuttering even worse.

I can't try your 1080p HEVC DVB-T2 Broadcasting , Is it playing fluent with PIP ?

Impossible with an old ATI card. You need an up-to-date graphics card for it that supports HEVC decoding, or if it has to be decoded by software, a very fast CPU (i7 or such). Here a Core Duo E7500 can decode HEVC Full HD by software with the Lentoid Decoder (not with LAV, it's too slow), but pushes CPU usage to more than 50%, so there's not enough left over for PiP.

21 hours ago, Griga said:

If you want to change it, you need to buy new hardware.

Of course ;)  but waiting for UHD content

Intra frames need decompression as well. Displaying only intra frames would make stuttering even worse.

Yes, but important thing is no stuttering in main window.

Some Mpeg analyser softwares, like Tektronix one, use this method. 1 New picture is done every GOP , approx 1 second depending of compression. This is good enought to strap advertising or to waiting next programm. Here EPG content is approximative especially for private Channel providers.

Impossible with an old ATI card. You need an up-to-date graphics card for it that supports HEVC decoding, or if it has to be decoded by software, a very fast CPU (i7 or such). Here a Core Duo E7500 can decode HEVC Full HD by software with the Lentoid Decoder (not with LAV, it's too slow), but pushes CPU usage to more than 50%, so there's not enough left over for PiP.

Ok thanks for the infos. Our next step for DVB-T2 is not before 2022, and no FTA nor via PCMCIA UHD programms here ATM.

Actually all programms are H.264 (terrestrial or Satellite) . Few are H.264 SD but mostly H.264 HD

At HEVC time there will be time to change complete material mainboard + cpu + grphic card.