DVBViewer Filter Discussion

Even my German is rather poor, I reckon we shall expect GE 1.5 :idiot: - that's great news, any rough estimate in terms of timing?

I am absolutely satisfied with the current version, I have one minor problem though: after each restart the Y coordinate of all frames in Setup.ini shifts by -26 points, resulting after a while in frames running out of the desktop. So far I solve it by changing the Y values in Setup.ini manually but since there might be the GE 1.5 version coming, can I hope this problem will disappear? :D

after each restart the Y coordinate of all frames in Setup.ini shifts by -26 points

Probably due to a task bar at the top of your desktop.

It's already fixed in DVBViewer GE 1.4 Beta (see Service Center, beta section) - did you try it? However, that was a very quick release for Premiere H.264 playback, so there are some other bugs, but nothing really serious.

Thanks a lot! That will be it - I have a top taskbar created from the channel shortcutter, so most probably that will be the reason.

It does not bother me that much so I wait for the 1.5 version but thanks again for the advice! :idiot:

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the new filter. Just for your information: using the earlier filter version HD Forum channel had short random freezes with around 4-10 second interval depending on the selected MPEG decorder. These freezes disappeared with the new filter.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HI

I've tried the new version (2.7.0.0) of the filter with both DVBViewer 3.2.6 and beta 3.4.9.200 and I have problems with channels with 44.1KHz audio.

DVBSource_2_7_Audio_problem_DVB.png

I'm hearing "glitches" (some kind of distortion). I then accidently noticed that the Audio Decoder and the Audio Renderer are showing that the audio is 48KHz.

DVBSource_2_7_Audio_problem_DefDSDevice.png

the same channel works fine with previous versions (2.6.1.1 for example) and you can see that the audio is 44.1KHz all the way to the renderer

DVBSource_2_6_DefDSDevice.png

Is this resampling intentional? If "yes" could the distortion come from the algo that you are using?

Edited by pankov
and I have problems with channels with 44.1KHz audio.

Dealing with "strange" DVB audio formats is up to the decoders. However, when connecting to the decoder, the DVBViewer Filter must provide a connection format. In this stage there is no information about the actual format since the stream has not yet started. So the DVBViewer filter connects with a default format - MP2 with 192 kbps, 48 khz sample rate, stereo - the most commonly used DVB audio format.

Many decoders don't rely on that, but analyze the stream themselves, thus being able to handle it correctly, even if it is a mono stream, though the connection format was stereo.

Unfortunately no MP2 audio decoder seems to check the sample rate information in the frame headers - maybe because the audio renderers don't allow a sample rate change after being connected. So the problem gets passed on upstream ;) That's where the trouble comes from, and that's why DVBViewer Pro and GE provide the "Automatic Video/Audio Format Detection" option (see Options -> DirectX resp. DirectShow).

If the Audio Format Detection checkbox is ticked, DVBViewer starts the stream, and then waits until the source filter has detected the actual audio format, before starting playback. If the format differs from the default format, the source filter breaks all connections in the audio branch and re-connects with the correct format information. Try, and you'll hear that it works... :bye: I guess you've switched it off.

However, format detection slows down channel switching a bit, and should only be used if necessary.

:bye:

no, I'm sad to say it but it was not turned off. Both Audio and Video Format Detection are turned on and it doesn't sound good.

;)

It worked just fine in 2.6.1.1. What did you change in 2.7.0.0 related to this?

Do you nead a sample of such a stream? is .ts good enough?

no, I'm sad to say it but it was not turned off.

Well, I've tested it with a 32 khz audio stream, and it works.

However, I have a rough idea why it doesn't in your case. Please download the test version 2.7.0.1 from the members area, beta section, and tell me what it does.

it "looks" OK. I say "looks" because I'm not in front of my home PC right now and remotely I can't hear sound (only picture). I was able to look at the properties of the Decoder and Renderer and now they are correctly showing 44.1KHz.

:bye:

So I suppose it's OK, but I'll confirm it tonight when I'm back home.

btw

I'm curious what did you change?

I'm curious what did you change?

Well, that's a bit complicated. The enhanced 2.7 format detection requires at least two subsequent frame headers, since audio data can be mistaken for a header if only one is examined (a general mp2/mp3 problem). I guess your 44.1 khz stream provides only one header within a PES packet.

For successful format detection the 2.7 usually collects PES packets (resp. the elementary stream content), until two frame headers are present in a buffer. But it didn't in the "don't play detect only" mode. The 2.7.0.1 test version does. Looks like an official 2.7.1 update will come soon... :bye:

no, it's a cable transmission here in Sofia, Bulgaria.

My cable provider is doing some strange things to the audio. Many of the channels are resampled to 44.1KHz and I think it's done very badly because they lost some frequency range and bitrate :bye:

but this is the way things are and I have to live with it

OK, here it is: The DVBViewer Filter has been updated to version 2.7.1 in the members area, Plugins Section:

- Fixed: Audio format detection didn't work correctly with certain streams (affecting the "Audio Format Detection" function in DVBViewer).

Greetings..

I would love to install that DVBViewer Filter 2.7.1. in order to TRY to make my jerky picture go away, because i have good areal signal (93%).

The problem is, i cant find it, where is that members area, plugins section??

Is it here on forum? i registered for it..

Help plz

Thanks, but my problem is i cant find members area.. The Members link in the upper right corner, is a list of members.. And i am logged in, so where is that members area?

I feel like the stupidest moron for asking this, but im sick and tired of trying to configure this card to work, and dead tired.. and u all seem to see something so obvious, that i dont..

a link would be a lifesavior, for me the stupidest of all here.. :rolleyes:

Thanks man...

Now, because i got this Technisat DVB-T card with my new comp, i got DVBViewer on installation cd. So, can i become a member on site, and use this 2.7 filter? Will it work on my version (technisat)? Can i register as a member, if i didnt buy a pro version?

Thanks

Ah, no thanks...

dont wanna pay 15 euros to download a program that i already have, just to download a plugin that, maybe, will make this freakin Technisat card work as it should have in the first place..

I mean, i paid 4 the program when i bought the card, didnt i? And it wont work properly, the pic is jerky..

Ah, damn..

Thanks everybody, anyway

Hello hdv

Sure, i believe u, im sure it is much better, pro version, but i dont need ANY of advanced options, i just need the basic options, like - normal, non jerkin, video.

I hate it when things wont work correctly "out of the box", with bundled software that i already paid for. (Media Center cards are cheaper, just because u dont pay for such software in a first place, but i opted for card and software solution, because, naive me, i thought i will have less hussle with it-it will just work immediately! instead im trying to make it work properly for days :rolleyes: )

"#$%

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Could anyone please answer my question:

Will DVBViewer Pro with the Filter 2.7.2 let me view the HDTV channel of the BBC which is sent in DVB-S (not DVB-S2) and in MPEG4 (not MPEG2)?

I mean the channel on Astra 2D (28.2° East) 10847V - 22000 - 5/6

I beleave this is one of the channels that will transmit the football world championship and it wil be FTA !

Otherwise I will probably buy a new STB, maybe the Humax PR-HD1000 of 2000.

If this MPEG4 channel can be viewed with DVBViewer Pro I'll be pleased to pay for the licence.

There's a special filter for H.264 channels.

They DO work with DVBViewer PRO, the thing is that, as of now, BBC HD can be viewed only with Elecard or Cyberlink codecs, which means you won't be able to watch it even on a top notch machine... ;)

Maybe when a new version of CoreAVC will ship, it will be possible to watch it live...

For watching H.264 HDTV you need a special version of the DVBViewer Filter, that is part of the H.264 Kit (available in the members area), plus a H.264 decoder. See this thread and other related threads in the HDTV section of this forum.

• 3 weeks later...
- Improved: Blocked / crashed playback doesn't interrupt the stream within DVBViewer anymore.

I still have this kind of problem, the recording just stops or the video freezes. I have to first tune to a channel on another frequency to get the original channel working again.

I have noticed no errors in the DVB source properties window when this happens.

I have a Twinhan DVB-C card (free channels) and I use Cyberlink decoders.

Seems to be a tuner / driver related issue. Sorry, I can't help you, because I have no Twinhan. Better post it somewhere else - maybe other Twinhan owners know something...

DVBViewer Filter 2.8 is available in the Members Area, Plugins Section.

Changes:

- Added: Full H.264 video playback support, as already provided by the 2.7.5.1 version in the H.264 Kit (PushSource_H264.ax). There will be no separate versions with/without H.264 support in future anymore.

- Added: Batch files for convenient registering / unregistering of the DVBViewer Filter.

Please note: The new version has to be registered in any case, due to the H.264 support. Store the file Register_DVBSource.bat in the Filters folder and double-click it. After that you may delete the file PushSource_H264.ax, if present.

- Enhanced (compared to 2.7.5.1): H.264 format detection, enabling playback of files created by the CyberlinkH.264 Encoder. Additionally requires changes in DVBViewer/TSPlayer, however.

Downloaded the new version and it seems to work great. Is it possible to change the size of the video buffer in the same way as the audio buffer? I get video buffer overflows when playing back a live signal. I'd like to try and increase the size of the video buffer to smooth out the playback and try to see what the maximum fps is that I can get.

Is it possible to change the size of the video buffer in the same way as the audio buffer?

No. The maximum size is approx. 1000 x 8 kb. Getting overflow errors means that video processing (resp. the decoder) is too slow, compared to the input data rate. You'll get them anyway, sooner or later. The maximum buffer size doesn't affect the frame rate.

Sweden just opened the HD-Channel and we all get buffer overflow in the "Dvb source 2.8 (h.254) Whats the problem here? I use an opteron148@2.8ghz 2gb ram and a 7900gt shouldent that be enought? Is it the core avc that doesnt cope?

I use an opteron148@2.8ghz

Probably too slow for H.264 HDTV (depends on the stream). Try a Pentium 3.4 GHz HT. Or a graphics card that supports HW accelerated H.264 decoding (DXVA) and a decoder that is able to use it. Browse this forum for more information.

• 1 month later...

I have issues with playing back slightly corrupt TS files with the DVBsource filter.

I am using latest dvbsource 2.8 along with dvbv 3.5.

When I record stuff and afterwards play it back I sometimes end up with files which does not contain valid audio and video at the start of the file.

TSplayer decides to show only the textTV part of it, if textTV is avail on that specific channel.

If I test the same file with videolan VLC, then it just fast forwards a few seconds until it sumbles upon the first audio video sequence header - and the file is played back correctly.

It seems to be a hassle to process the file with projectX first before being able to watch it.

The same goes for the various software DVD players like powerDVD, winDVD etc.

They all behave like VLC.

I would assume this is a problem with the dvbsource filter, since tsplayer shows the same problem as DVBViewer.

If I disable dvbsource for file playback in dvbv options, then it works like VLC does.

A bad sideeffect is that now I have no subs from the TS stream.

I did another interesting test. I chopped off a few megabytes from the beginning few of the ts file.

This also fixed the problem.

I used a binary tool for this - no file alteration at all, except for the missing chunk at the start :bye:

I can hook you up with the bad file, if u wish to test this.

/Gibman

TS files, I guess. Which streams show up in the TSPlayer window if you try to play the file? No video and no audio? You can try to increase the search depth of the pre-analysis by adding the following line to the TSPlayer.ini and increase the value, if necessary.

[frmPlayer]

MaxPackets=24000

The default value is 12000. It tells TSPlayer how many TS packets (188 bytes per packet) it shall read when analyzing the file. There is no possibility to configure DVBViewer in this way, however.

When I record stuff and afterwards play it back I sometimes end up with files which does not contain valid audio and video at the start of the file.

Let me guess - audio and video are scrambled at the beginning of the file, right? In case of soft decrypting the matter should not be discussed here any further.

It does show both an audio and video stream in tsplayer.

It does happen very seldomly, so I guess the problem isnt that big of an issue after all.

I have prior to the problem just been running an hour long windows scandisk on my capture drive - I wonder if this could be the reason.

I remember I had some other non dvbV related files of mine corruped this way before.

I just thought it was weird that other apps would play the file and not dvbv, although with mpeg glitches here and there.

Regarding soft decrypting.

No, I am running on a yakumo dvb-t stick on 3 FTA channels in denmark using dvbserver.

/Gibman

• 1 month later...

I am using v3.5 DVBViewer Pro and downloaded your latest plugin - 2.8.1

For some reason some of the channels freeze while watching live TV.

I switched back to the copy of PushSource.ax I had and all is fine again.

One odd thing I noticed is that viewing the latest copy of PushSource.ax with a hex editor it says the file name is DVBViewer Filter v2.7 whereas the older copy shows v2.8

My system is a core 2 duo E6600 w/2 gig DDR2-800 ram winXP SP2.

cheers