DVBViewer Channel Scan not responding

rdtempleman

DVBViewer Scan not responding problem. 29/05/2019

This problem has been occurring for several months now. In this instance it stopped on channel 11 as shown in the screen dump below. Previously it has stopped at various channels notably 6, 11, 15, the highest it reached was channel 29.

I suspect that this may be a hardware problem as the USB Satellite adapter (TBS QBOX DVB-S2) also hangs up (not responding) on HD channels. When new it worked fine with DVBViewer but after about 2 years the problem with HD channels not responding started. (with DVBViewer 6.0.4 installed). After this I continued to use the SD channels. Then the present problem with the Scan also became apparent.

My satellite dish (Ex-SKY, single LNB) is working fine when connected to a Manhattan Freesat Box. SD and HD channels all worked fine.

Can you confirm this is a hardware problem with the adapter?

If it is, can you recommend a reliable Sat TV adapter or PCI card.

Incidentally I cannot close DVBViewer or end the task with file manager, I have to do a shutdown.

I have just upgraded to DVBViewer version 6.1.4 and Media server version 2.1.4. from 6.0.4 / 2.0.4 - problem persists.

The PC runs Windows 8.1

Richard Templeman

setup.xml svcdebug.log

Hi Griga,

Thanks so much for replying.

I have reproduced the problem and have followed the instructions in the forum to create the support.zip.

This time, the scan got to channel 13 before hanging up (Not responding) as already described in my original post.   As you can see in the screen shot I am using the Transponder list supplied  for the Astra 28.2 E satellite.  Channel 13 is 11038 V 22000 QPSK 8/9.

I was not able to close DVBViewer Pro (as before) so I ran the support tool anyway and clicked the Ignore option.  (I already closed DVBViewer Media server). 

The Device is TBS QBOX DVB-S2 Tuner.  Driver version 2.0.4.7  (Provider TBS Date 27/06/2013  Signer SHENZEN TURBOSIGHT TECHNOLOGY CO.LTD0

Video Card is  Intel(R) HD Graphics  Sandy Bridge  Revision 9  

I hope this is sufficient information for this problem.

Regards

Richard

support.zip

Your support.zip tells me which device you are using (a TBS QBox 5928) and that you are not using a CI for descrambling channels (which is a known source of instabilities), but unfortunately it does not reveal measures that can be taken to avoid the trouble.

You didn't run DVBViewer in debug mode, so I can't see what happened during the scan (no DVBViewer.log), but I can see in the svcdebug.log that your DVBViewer Media Server crashed two times while scanning for EPG data (which is a similar process). It didn't terminate in a regular way.

There is one thing that is not configured correctly in your setup. DVBViewer and Media Server are both using the TBS device directly, which means, you didn't perform DVBViewer -> Help -> Media Server Wizard in order to avoid conflicts by making the Media Server the boss and configuring DVBViewer as client. That may cause problems, but usually it wouldn't let DVBViewer freeze in the way reported by you.

TBS hardware is ok, but the drivers are not really stable. It may or may not work depending on system conditions. Most crash reports that we get are related to TBS devices. Lately I kicked my TBS QBOX 1920 because the driver again and again caused a BSOD on my Windows 10 PC - the same driver as yours, I suppose. The box is now connected to an old PC under Windows XP, where it works pretty well. So if you can get a XP licence somewhere.... :)

On 5/29/2019 at 6:50 PM, rdtempleman said:

can you recommend a reliable Sat TV adapter or PCI card.

PCIe is not possible? I'm quite happy with a DVBSky S960 USB Box under Windows 7 (it receives 4 satellite positions here including Astra 28.2° E). It can be found on Amazon for 60 €. Maybe you want to give it a try...

Dear Griga,

Thanks once again for your speedy reply.

Regarding your comment about using a CI, my TBS QBOX 5928 does not have a card slot.  So, on the scan I selected the  "free to air channels only" option.

I have reconfigured DVBViewer to be the client of the Media server as you described  and rerun the scan with DVBViewer in debug mode.  After several attempts which stopped at different points in the scan I managed to get the support tool to run.  See attachments below.

Perhaps you could look at this if you have time.

In the meantime I will have a look at buying a new receiver.  Thanks for the recommendation for the DVBSky S960 USB Box.

I do have a spare PCIe slot (and a spare PCI slot).  Is there a card you can recommend?

Regards 

Richard

DVBViewerScanNotResponding31052019.png

support.zip