Option to Download Transcoded Recording using the WebUI

Cian

If I am traveling and I want to bring some recordings with me for viewing on flights etc., I have to transcode files with VidCoder and then download it to the phone. DVBViewer already has the option of sending a transcoded stream to the phone, but only as a live stream. It would be great to be able to download a compressed version of the recording to my phone with one click before I leave a WiFi area for viewing later. 

Currently, the Transcoded Stream section of the WebUI has two options: "Play in Browser" and "Other Player (m3u)". Would it be possible to add an option to download a transcoded stream to the device?

Thanks,

C.

Edited by Cian

The most important information is missing: Target OS? Target format?

And there is a more basic question that must be answered first: Can something be downloaded, that does not exist as file, but is created as stream on the fly? I've tried the following:

•  Selected a recording, then in the Stream Setup window WebM as output format and Transcoded Stream -> Other Player (m3u).
  • Let Firefox download the m3u and copied the contained URL to the forum editor. It looked like this:

http://127.0.0.1:8089/transcoded/stream.webm?preset=WebM%20Low%20800%20kbit&ffpreset=veryfast&track=0&subs=-&recid=207

• Highlighted and right-clicked it, let Firefox perform "save target as...". Firefox started to downlad a "stream.webm".
  • Waited until the download showed no more progress (it didn't finish in the usual way - from the browsers's point of view it was a never ending live stream) - it took as long as the recording duration (14 minutes), because the DMS performs a "real-time" transcoding.
  • Didn't cancel the download, because that would probably have deleted the file (?), but tried to play it with DVBViewer. That worked - the LAV Source Filter knew how to handle WebM and took over.
  • Canceled the download. Firefox couldn't delete the file, because it was used by DVBViewer.

So basically it works, but this approach doesn't look very promising to me... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

OS is Android and format is whatever works.

I was just floating the idea to see if it sparked something. Obviously not.

Maybe a variation on the 'Make MKV' might work.

Edited by Cian