Date format on web pages

RLJ

Can somebody tell me how to change the American dates on the Recordings web page to European format? Dates already display correctly on the Timer Recordings option of the TV/Radio tab in DVBViewer Pro. I can't find any way to do this in Settings or in Media Server Options.

• 3 weeks later...

All my regional and language settings are set to European values. But (only) the dates and times which appear on the Timer and Recordings tabs of the Media Server web interface remain stubbornly in American format (MM/DD/YYYY, AM-PM). Please help me to get rid of them.

6 hours ago, RLJ said:

All my regional and language settings are set to European values.

Obviously the regional settings for your system account are not set to European values. Did you follow the instructions given by the links above? Did you reboot after copying the settings to the system account?

All my regional system options are set to European values. They have been on European settings for several years, and hence over innumerable reboots. The problem only occurs with DVBViewer web interface. Even there results are mixed. Here's what I see on each tab:

Timeline: Date DDMMYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

TV Guide: Date DDMMYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

Channel EPG: Date MDDYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

Search EPG: Date DDMMYYYY; Time 24-hr

Timer: Date MDDYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

Recordings: Date MDDYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

Media (popup windows): Date MDDYYYY; Time 12-hr AM/PM

Configuration, Tasks, Links: N/A

Can you see the logic in this?

There is your user account on windows (which may be set correctly to european values) and there is (among others) a special hidden account "SYSTEM" on every windows installation. This one is intended for services running in the background and can have completely different settings. The media server is a service running under this SYSTEM account, not your user account. Many pre-installed systems for multi language ask for your language on first start and change it for the user account but leave SYSTEM at US settings.

As Griga already wrote, see links above, usually a single click allows to copy your normal user account regional settings to the SYSTEM account and everything should be fine. You are not the first/only with this issue and the solution is always the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Griga and Harald for your help with this issue. I should have said that I already copied my settings several times to the system (and default) accounts. It makes no difference. Do youknow if there is a way I can check the current system account settings?

To illustrate, I've added screenshots of my System settings, current formats (French) and an extract from the DVBViewer channel EPG web page, complete with US dates and times. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for bearing with me on this.

Settings.png

Formats.png

EPG.png

Edited by RLJ
Fix typos, add screenshots.
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 19.8.2019 um 21:56 schrieb RLJ:

Can you see the logic in this?

Not yet :) But is has to be considered that some of the date/time handling is performed by Javascript in the browser. It will rather use the user format settings, not the system format settings, I guess. This applies to all dates that are selected by using a calendar, e.g. on the Timeline page.

Anyway, your problem smells like conflicting registry settings, though I can't figure out how and why. After some researches I've managed to find the registry keys where the relevant information is stored. It's

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International

if the server is running as a service in the system account, and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

if the server is running as service, but with the credentials of the current user account (see services.msc -> DVBViewer Media Server -> Properties -> Logon) or as application. After stopping the server as service it is possible to launch DVBVservice.exe as application, but there are some drawbacks - only do it for a test.

Both registry keys contained the expected values here (German date/time format). I've verfied under Windows 7 in which case they are used by manipulating the sShortDate entry in the two registry branches (and relaunching the DMS). Maybe inspecting the registry on your PC sheds more light on it.

P.S. Just another guess: Did you configure the service in services.msc to run with the username and password of a special user account that is not the user account in which you are usually logged on? That could explain most of it, because it would let the server use the regional settings of this special account, as my researches revealed (see above).

Many thanks for this info. I'll check out the registry and get back to you ASAP. As regards your second post, I didn't knowingly reconfigure any service (but who knows what mysterious events take place inside Microsoft software products).

Thanks again - your help is much appreciated.

I checked my registry. All instances of sShortDate (6 altogether, including HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International) are as expected, i.e dd/MM/yyyy. Perhaps the problem lies in some JS somewhere? Or perhaps there's a bug in Firefox. I'll dig up another browser to see if that behaves in the same way.

Update: I just tried with both Chrome and IE - both give the same results. So it looks like the browser is not to blame. [Scratches head]

Edited by RLJ
Update information
Am 22.9.2019 um 15:55 schrieb Griga:

It's

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

if the server is running as service, but with the credentials of the current user account (see services.msc -> DVBViewer Media Server -> Properties -> Logon) or as application. After stopping the server as service it is possible to launch DVBVservice.exe as application, but there are some drawbacks - only do it for a test.

Did you try that? For a test stop the DMS as service and double-click DVBVService.exe, so it is running as application in your user account with a small dummy window allowing to close the server. In this case it should use the settings in the registry key stated above.

• 2 weeks later...

Running DVBService as an application worked. But when I restarted the service we were back to American times and dates. Does this get us any farther forward?

Thanks, as ever, for your help

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RLJ:

Running DVBService as an application worked.

Then running it as a service with the user name and password of your user account should also work, as already mentioned above. Proceed as follows:

1. Stop the DMS.
  2. Make sure that Right-click on DMS tray icon -> Configure with Admin Rights -> Tasks-> Extended privilegs... is switched off (otherwise the DMS will not start anymore as a service after you have performed step 3...5).
  3. Press Windows Key + R  -> type services.msc -> click OK -> displays a list of all services in your PC
  4. Right-click DVBViewer Media Server -> Properties -> Logon -> Select "This account" -> Enter the user name and password of your user account (must be an admin account with user name and password!)
  5. Click OK. Restart the DMS.
vor 1 Stunde schrieb RLJ:

But when I restarted the service we were back to American times and dates.

It means, the DMS as service (running in the system account without being associated with a user account) gets the date/time settings from some place we don't know... the source should be HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International. On my PC this is the case, as I could verify. I found no evidence in the web for another source.

However, in your case something seems to be different... I would check the content of all HKEY_USERS\S-x-x-xx\Control Panel\International registry keys in order to see if there are still US settings stored somewhere.

Eureka! I found two S-x-x-xx keys where the locale was still set US values. I changed all relevant values to European values, rebooted the machine where the Media Server lives, and everything now works correctly. I'm still puzzled why DVBViewer was picking the data up from there, rather than from .DEFAULT, but I'm satisfied now that things are behaving correctly.

I'm immensely grateful to Griga who helped me fix this. I could never have worked it out on my own. Huge thanks.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb RLJ:

I'm still puzzled why DVBViewer was picking the data up from there, rather than from .DEFAULT, but I'm satisfied now that things are behaving correctly.

It's not the DMS itself who is picking data from there. It's your windows installation who does this for the built-in account SYSTEM that is used for running DMS and a lot of other services (where you probably haven't noticed this different language settings). On a normal windows installation it should be .DEFAULT, obviously your computer was preinstalled with some unusual modified settings by the manufacturer that caused this.