Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD compatibility

enricob

Hi.

Is DVBViewer compatible with the Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD TV Tuner?

Can DVBViewer handle up to 4 different signals provided by Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD TV Tuner?

Many thanks,

Enrico

DVBViewer is compatible with Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD TV Tuner, but I did not understand what about handle up to 4 different signals provided by Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD TV Tuner.

Assuming that it might be possible to manage these 4 signals with a multiple installation of DVBViewer, can a multiple DVBViewer installation actually handle the signals coming from 4 different tuners of a single Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD TV Tuner card, as different DVBViewer instances "must not use the same device at one time" ?

Any other way to manage the 4 signals provided by the card with DVBViewer ?

Many thanks,

Enrico

A single DVBViewer instance can handle 4 (or even more) signal sources simultaneously, e.g. for TV in the main window, TV as picture in picture plus two recordings.

Performing Options -> Hardware -> Scan Devices will add four Hauppauge WinTV-quad HD tuners to the device list, that can be used for receiving channels on four different frequencies at the same time.

Channels on the same frequency only require one tuner. So you may even receive more than four channels at the same time, if some are located on the same frequency.

Would it be also possible to use 2 instances of DVBViewer in order to handle these 4 different signals for watching 4 different channels as well as watching 3 different channels and recording 1 channel?

I mean:

first DVBViewer instance : 2 channels using picture in picture feature

second DVBViewer instance : 2 channels using picture in picture feature

I ask just because I've read that different DVBViewer instances "must not use the same device at one time".

Thank you very much,

Enrico

Edited by enricob
4 minutes ago, enricob said:

Would it be also possible to use 2 instances of DVBViewer

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure because I don't know how the WinTV-quad HD  works in practice. It may depend on the driver.

• 1 month later...

It seems to work and all tuners can be used. But it was not easy to get it working at least for now.

First things, card might not work with every motherboard, particularly my current PC (X79A-GD45 + 3960x) it didn't really work. Most of time it wouldn't start up due to "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the api", sometimes disappear after few minutes and sometimes it worked with WinTV, but never with DVBViewer. Of course this wasn't clean Windows install but I even upgraded from 1709 to 1903 and same errors.

This week I built my new PC (x570 taichi + 3900x) and it was recognized and worked with WinTV everytime so far. DVBViewer still didn't work.

I tried TransEdit and it was working and then found out why it didn't work with DVBViewer.

I had scanned channels with different tuner (Astrometa USB stick), turns out this had caused DVBViewer to use wrong symbol rate

and modulation (6875 / QAM64 while correct was 6900 / QAM256). 

I suppose this was "close enough" for Astrometa while this is more strict.

With that fixed, now all seems to work:

image.thumb.png.6469e336b6a46d7cb00f84cf91a21059.png

Hope this can be helpful for someone.

• 1 year later...