PiP makes 6.1.5 to crash

vramor

After installing 6.1.5 over 6.1.4 a click on Picture in Picture crashes DVBViewer. There is no problem with 6.1.4 version as well with any earlier. Forced myself to make recovery using the image with 6.1.4 version. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

2019-08-17_045810.1566008947.pngi.gif

Edited by vramor

It seems to me that there was a similar situation a few years ago. Highly likely the reason is DVBViewer cannot share peacefully the memory with my application ABC 4T2 Content Analyser. Then you solved the problem. I think you will do it again lately. Doubtfully that support.zip could be useful in the case when all the earlier versions of DVBViewer work perfectly on the same system. Nevertheless I will upload support.zip ASAP. Thank you for your attention.

I can see now  what makes the difference between your 6.1.4 and 6.1.5 installation and what causes the crash, but I don't know why it crashes. It doesn't crash here when I use your settings under Windows 7 x64. However, there is a work-around that will most likely make PiP usable for you in DVBViewer 6.1.5.

Your setup.xml tells me that you have never changed the PiP Render/Decoder settings on Options -> DirectX -> Picture in Picture. So DVBViewer uses defaults. Due to a bug DVBViewer 6.1.4 uses the VMR 7 Renderer for PiP in this case, though the PiP options display the EVR as selected.

The VMR 7 is a bad choice (except for Windows XP), because it prevents hardware-accelerated video decoding (DXVA2) and yields no picture at all under Windows 10. That's why it has been fixed. DVBViewer 6.1.5 correctly uses the EVR as default, as intended. But for some unknown reason this causes a crash in your system. Video renderer trouble is mostly related to the graphics card driver. Maybe two decoders/renderes using hardware acceleration at the same time doesn't work correctly, dunno... you may want to find out experimentally, e.g. by starting PiP without playback in the main window (right-click a channel in the channel list -> Picture in Picture).

However, if you want DVBViewer 6.1.5  to use the VMR 7 Renderer for PiP (like version 6.1.4 did), simply select it on Options -> DirectX -> Picture in Picture. Or make 6.1.4 also crash by changing the PiP video renderer to something else and then back to the EVR -> Apply :). And take note of the new PiP features that have been introduced in 6.1.5.

I don't know how xml setup file is objective but my current configuration uses EVR as Video Renderer for PiP, and I just installed 6.1.5 over 6.1.4.

I noticed that the common options for Direct X are different. I'll check if this does matter. And I never chose VMR 7. I have no need to use it as well.

2019-08-20_154828.png

2019-08-20_160057.png

Edited by vramor
11 minutes ago, vramor said:

I don't know how xml setup file is objective but my current configuration uses EVR as Video Renderer for PiP

6 hours ago, Griga said:

Due to a bug DVBViewer 6.1.4 uses the VMR 7 Renderer for PiP in this case, though the PiP options display the EVR as selected.

You don't believe me? Check it by right-clicking the PiP window -> Filters.

I've  checked the behaviour of both versions DVBViewer 6.1.4 and 6.1.5 when PiP choosen from Main Menu>TV/Radio.

Here is the result. When Video Renderer for PiP is VMR 9 or MadVR while the common renderer is EVR Enhanced Video Renderer - everything's OK, but when Video Renderer is EVR is assigned everywhere, DVBViewer has stopped both with 6.1.4 and 6.1.5 version. I must exaggerate that this takes place on the one of my  PC's only. There is no problem concerning renderer assigning on the other systems I have, including ones with Windows 10.

Now I use EVR Enhanced Video Renderer and MadVR Video Renderer. Thanks for your explanation.

2019-08-21_071638.png

Edited by vramor