DMS 2.1.5.1 + WinTV-dualHD

klosz007

Hi,

Maybe someone will be able to help here before I pull all of my hair away.

Background: I was using TBS5881 with DVBViewer+DMS for a long time with no issues. My cable operator's CAM+SC was inserted directly into TBS5881 tuner then.

But more and more frequently I feel the need for second tuner. Since no chance of getting another CAM module from my cable operator (I already have two, thew other one is in my TV), I had to setup <deleted> with my current DVBViewer setup.

After extensive amount of work I was able to make it all work together - TBS5881 is now working fine with no CAM module inserted and I am able to watch all the scrambled channels with smart card inserted into the reader connected to my RPi 4B instead. This works fine both in DMS+DVBViewer and standalone DVBViewer configuration (this is important because location of <deleted> plugin is different for both setups).

Here comes the need for second tuner. TBS5881 seems to be unavailable for purchase for the moment so instead I purchased on Amazon 'Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD' USB tuner. It has two independent DVB-T/T2/C tuners with Windows BDA drivers (so theoretically I could get rid of TBS5881 at the end, unless I need three tuners).

Here is the issue:

Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD tuner works with no issues when configured in standalone DVBViewer mode (Media Server service disabled and unconfigured from DVBViewer, 4 tuner USB devices added directly to DVBViewer). I can watch all the scrambled channels with both tuners (e.g. PIP is working with second channel tuned). But of course this is not the desired configuration.

But when I configure WinTV-dualHD tuner under Media Server (i.e. tuner USB devices are added to Media Server and DVBViewer has RTSP devices only), for no money of the world it wants to work.

No matter what I do I get just black screen. <deleted> logs are silent - simply if there was no data from the tuner.

Can someone help/explain why the same tuner wants to work under DVBViewer directly but not under Media Server ? If both options didn't work, I would assume that tuner is faulty or its drivers are bad or incompatible with DVBViewer. But it's not the case here. Note again that TBS5881 works well in both setups.

I forgot to say there is no issue with unscrambled DVB-T channels (my cable operator retransmits public DVB-T channels in the same cable so no need for terrestrial antenna).

WinTV-dualHD works fine with DVB-T both directly under DVBViewer and under Media Server.

The issue begins with DVB-C scrambled channels only - they can be watched only in standalone DVBViewer configuration only, not via Media Server and only with this tuner. Everything is OK with TBS5881. 

Obviously your post refers to software descrambling. It is illegal in Germany and any discussion about it violates §13 of the forum rules.You can get no help for it here. Please don't mention it again.

Anyway, a possible reason for DVB-C not working with your Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD can be found here. It applies to the Media Server and both DualHD DVB-C tuner sections in the file \config\svchardware.xml accordingly. Usually performing Scan Devices in the Media Server 2.1.5.2 options (svcoptions.exe) -> OK should fix it automatically. If not, please attach your svchardware.xml so we can check if the device ID is included in the hardware database.

You guessed right, I wasn't aware this forum follows German law, nor that software descrambling is illegal in Germany. Here in Poland cardsharing (not descrambling) is illegal across unrelated users (i.e over Internet) but as long as I'm doing it for my own purpose (sharing across my own home devices), there's nothing wrong with it.

I haven't said the whole truth because there are three types of channels on my cable - public DVB-T, DVB-C unscrambled (teleshopping, VoD Info, some own operator channels + nearly all channels which are available publicly on DVB-T eitherway) and DVB-C scrambled. Forget scrambled channels then.

This issue is in fact present for all DVB-C channels, even the unscrambled ones. DVBViewer is able to play DVB-C channels only if it is working in standalone mode. With WinTV tuner attached to Media Server, it works with DVB-T channels only.

It's not able to play any of the DVB-C channels that were previously scanned using TBS5881. If I delete all channels and scan again - it finds no DVB-C channels.

I'll read that topic.

Edited by klosz007

Yes,

that simple trick of adding:

<entry name="SRx1000">1</entry>

to DVB-C tuner sections of svchardware.xml (the one used by Media Server) did the trick. Now WinTV-dualHD works with DVB-C channels, not only with DVB-T channels.

Thanks a lot !!!

I'm guessing this tells Media Server to supply driver with Symbol Rate multiplied by 1000 (i.e 6900000 rather than 6900) ? Interesting that it is required for Media Server only. Does that mean that DVBViewer alone recognizes this tuner automatically and provides SR in correct format for this tuner but Media Server it isn't able to detect this special need and needs manual tweak ?

Edited by klosz007

Recent Media Server versions  should detect it as well, because they are using the same hardware database. However, if the device has first been detected by an old Media Server (or Recording Service) version, you need to perform Hardware -> Scan Devices again after installation of a new version in order to let new hardware database information take effect.

That's why I have written

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Griga:

Usually performing Scan Devices in the Media Server 2.1.5.2 options (svcoptions.exe) -> OK should fix it automatically. If not, please attach your svchardware.xml so we can check if the device ID is included in the hardware database.

but unfortunately you didn't try.... so there is nothing I can learn from it.

I did try to do it previously but it didn't work so I immediately went onto editing svchardware.xml.

I now realized what he problem was. I was using DMS 2.1.5.1 and I haven't noticed you mentioned DMS 2.1.5.2. I thought 2.1.5.1 was the latest version...

So I went to Members section, downloaded files, upgraded DVBViewer to 6.1.5.2 and DMS to 2.1.5.2.

Then deleted WinTV tuner from DMS config, saved config, restarted DMS service, it self-detected WinTV again, now this SRx1000 entry was indeed added automatically !

So DMS 2.1.5.2 handles this WinTV device correctly (but not 2.1.5.1).

BTW, there's a mistake in Members download area. The new DVBViewer version 6.5.1.2 is listed as just 'old' 6.5.1. I was able to find out it's a new version just because the file date is 7th of Sept. Otherwise I would assume it's the old 6.5.1 and 6.5.1 is the current version.

vor 42 Minuten schrieb klosz007:

Then deleted WinTV tuner from DMS config, saved config, (...) now this SRx1000 entry was indeed added automatically !

A simple Media Server Options -> Hardware -> Scan Devices -> OK (as proposed) didn't do it?

I haven't tried. I get used to deleting before rescanning ?

Nevertheless with DMS 2.1.5.2 this manual tweak is no longer required. Device scan automatically adds this option for WinTV tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

I connected second such tuner in parallel to the same PC (running DMS 2.1.5.2) to effectively have 4 DVB-C tuners. Same story again - it didn't work with DVB-C channels after automatic detection.

I looked into svchardware.xml and this SRx1000 option wasn't added automatically to the two new DVB-C tuner entries. I added it manually, then it started to work fine. So in fact it is still not added automatically in DMS 2.1.5.2.

I also noticed that one of the two DVB-C internal tuners of the second WinTV-dualHD tuner had such option added automatically:

<entry name="useMSNP">1</entry>

Can you tell me what it does ?

Actually it must have been a kind of a glitch.

I deleted all tuners, then they were re-detected automatically again. 

Now SRx1000 option was added automatically to all WinTV DVB-C tuners and that useMSNP option has not appeared again.

See the attachment.

svchardware.xml