Is there a GUI for Generate MP4?

Cian

... Where does the encoded file end up? Is it in the original directory? Where in the log files will the attempt to transcode be stored?

It is so a friend in hospital can watch the Rubgy World Cup games so it is important to me - that's why I am a bit impatient :blushing:.

Thanks,

C.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Cian:

is there an idiots guide to generating MP4 files from recordings?

DVBViewer Media Server (full version only) Web Interface:

1. Go to the Recordings page
  2. Move the mouse to the recording in question
  3. Click the pencil symbol that appears on mouse over -> opens the Recording Editor
  4. Select "Generate MP4/MP3" as task at the bottom right.
  5. Click "Apply Task".

The transcoded recording is stored in the same directory as the original recording. Please note that transcoding will take some time and cause high CPU load.

When I finish recording, there is no file generated. When looking at the Task Manager, I can see ffmpeg run for a moment and then disappear again. The CPU load does not increase and no file is generated. Where would I see any errors generated?

C.

Most important question: Do you have DVBViewer only or DVBViewer + Media Server (DMS) combination?

And the steps Griga posted do not automatically convert every recording but manually convert a single, already existing recording you choose by the pencil.

If you have both DVBViewer + DMS perhaps system tray configuration of DMS -> Recording-Options -> Recording -> Task after recording: "Generate MP4/MP3" (as my version is not english perhaps the menu items are not spelled exactly so) could do this for every recording automatically.  Didn't try/need this yet.

I have DMS, Did all of that. I have created an auto-timer and looking at the timers using the pencil shows that "Generate MP4/MP3" is enabled." I think it must be some type of permission on the server. In the DMS, the "Execute in active user account" option is greyed out, so might that be related to a permissions issue? I am making the changes to the DMS using the "Cofigure with Admin Rights".

There are lots of variables in the ffmpeg command line structure in the DMS. Do I need to change these or should they all be good to go?

C.

Doesn't work here either. :blink:

So I've used Configure with Admin Rights-> Tasks-> Select Generate MP4/MP3 -> Edit to insert a -report parameter in the FFmpeg command line (right before the first -metadata parameter), that lets FFmpeg create a ffmpeg-xxx.log file in the DVBViewer program directory. It ended with

Zitat

[recording path and name].mp4: Permission denied

which means, FFmpeg was not allowed to write to the output directory - quite surprising for a child process of a service that is running in the system account. So I checked the access rights of the recording folder (right-click the folder -> properties -> security), saw no SYSTEM entry there, added it, gave it full access rights, tried again and it worked.

Now the puzzling question is: Why could the DMS write recordings to this folder, but not FFmpeg as child process? Further researches are required...

Other methods to make it work (without adding full access rights for SYSTEM to the recording folder):

• Stop the DMS. Make sure that Configure with Admin Rights-> Tasks-> Extended privilegs... is switched off (otherwise the DMS will not start anymore as a service). Then execute services.msc -> Right-click DVBViewer Media Server -> Properties -> Logon -> Select "This account" -> Enter the user name and password of your user account (must be an admin account with user name and password). Restart the DMS.

or

• Stop the DMS as service and launch it as application (running in your user account) by double-clicking DVBVservice.exe (lets a small dummy window appear). Running the DMS as application entails some drawbacks - only do it for a test.

When you say "execute services.msc -> Right-click DVBViewer Media Server ", is this an.EXE file, or the tray control icon or within the tray control Iconsomewhere else? - I'm a bit confused (Sorry!)

C.