Support for HTTP/TCP protocol SATIP

retrofan1979

Hi,

The SATIP protocol does support HTTP/TCP besides RTSP/UDP.

Can you please add support for this alternative mode in DVBViewer Pro and TransEdit? This could be handy because of error correction.

I do have some problems with RTSP/UDP mode which I don't have with HTTP/TCP mode. (distorted streams)

Thank you!

Edited by retrofan1979
Am 22.10.2019 um 21:44 schrieb retrofan1979:

The SATIP protocol does support HTTP/TCP besides RTSP/UDP.

HTTP streaming In a limited way compared to RTSP,  because it is based on static URLs. The client can't request other/additional data dynamically within a session.

Both DVBViewer and TransEdit are able to work as HTTP streaming clients. If you have a RTPS URL conforming to the Sat>IP syntax, just replace rtsp by http, and it will work, provided the server is supporting it properly (as the DVBViewer Media Server does).

Hi, okay, I see. However, I have interruptions in the RTSP/UDP streams. I'm using minisatiphttps://github.com/catalinii/minisatip

Someone told me it's better to let the cliënt use TCP instead of UDP because TCP has error correction.

I don't know why these interruptions occur. Do I need special network settings for UDP to be turned on or off or are there known compatibility issues with some network interfaces?

Can you add support for RTSP with TCP instead of RTSP with UDP as alternative like Recording Service had before for DVBViewer Pro/GE and TransEdit? Then we have the best of both worlds (RTSP and error correction with TCP).

https://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-450-0-82062300-1418392505.png

Edited by Retrofan
vor 22 Stunden schrieb Retrofan:

I don't know why these interruptions occur. Do I need special network settings for UDP to be turned on or off or are there known compatibility issues with some network interfaces?

Usually UDP should be no problem in a home network. It isn't for most users and it isn't for me.

A German user reported here that he got rid of discontinuities (caused by data loss) after replacing his onboard Intel network adapter by a RealTek adapter. Obviously the Intel adapter was not able to handle high UDP data rates properly.

Another possible reason is a Sat>IP server that temporarily uses the full bandwidth of its fast network connection (e.g. GB LAN) to send UDP data, but the router has to transform these incoming data bursts  to a slower speed (e.g. WLAN) in order to pass it on to the client. Most routers have not enough buffering space to do this properly. Such data rate peaks can only be avoided in the server by a rate limiting mechanism that distributes the data more over time.

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Retrofan:

Can you add support for RTSP with TCP instead of RTSP with UDP as alternative like Recording Service had before for DVBViewer Pro/GE and TransEdit?

What you want is a minisatip compatible RTSP/TCP implementation in DVBViewer & TransEdit. I don't know exactly how they are doing it. Some time ago I already had a look at it. It seems they are using TCP for data transport as specified in the RTSP standard. It's quite far away from what we are doing. Implementing it would be difficult and time consuming. Since it t is not explicitely mentioned in the Sat>IP specifications as being mandatory, I've put it off until there are no other important things to do (mostly there are ;)). So don't expect a fast solution.

1 hour ago, Griga said:

A German user reported here that he got rid of discontinuities (caused by data loss) after replacing his onboard Intel network adapter by a RealTek adapter. Obviously the Intel adapter was not able to handle high UDP data rates properly.

Thanks. I will try another network adapter.

1 hour ago, Griga said:

What you want is a minisatip compatible RTSP/TCP implementation in DVBViewer & TransEdit. I don't know exactly how they are doing it. Some time ago I already had a look at it. It seems they are using TCP for data transport as specified in the RTSP standard. It's quite far away from what we are doing. Implementing it would be difficult and time consuming. Since it t is not explicitely mentioned in the Sat>IP specifications as being mandatory, I've put it off until there are no other important things to do (mostly there are ;)). So don't expect a fast solution.

I understand. Hope you will look into it in the near future then. Anyway, thanks for the great support.

For now, I'm using my Enigma2 receiver without problems with DVBViewer Pro.

Minisatip was fun to try. It can wait for now. ?

Edited by Retrofan