Native 64bit support and sortable favourites

mael

Hi,

First i want to say DVBViewer is a lot better than ProgDVB! Please dont start using slow and therefore inefficent .NET crap or other scripting high level languages like ProgDVB did some time ago!

But 2 issues i noticed in your most recent (demo-)version 6.1.5:

1. It seems you still providing only 32 bit binaries!

32 bit binaries can only access and work with other 32 bit dlls like 32 bit LAVFilters! I am sorry for being direct, but THATS VERY inefficient too. 64 bit binaries are in MANY MANY ways more efficient than 32 bit ones (ok to be fair one downside: an average of 5-10 percent more memory consumption depending on the specific app and situation) and since 2006 defacto every homecomputer is suited with a 64 bit capable cpu (even other alternative architectures like ARM provide 64 bit cpus since a very long time). Your DVBViewer app is the only 32 bit app i have left and i use a LOT o different well known apps and games. DVBViewer startup for example would be a lot faster and system wide memory usage a LOT LESS if the windows 32 bit subsystem havnt to be loaded at all for just one remaining 32 bit app like DVBViewer.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE adapt your sources so that you be able more easily in future to provide maybe a hybrid release model based on both 32 bit (for guys who use outdated old clonkers for whatever reason) and modern 64 bit releases like almost every professional it software company do today.

For me thats the primary NOGO which leads me to NOT buy your otherwise FANTASTIC DVBViewer app until you fixed that issue! 32 bit is outdated ...sorry but thats reality

2. it seems that the favourites are not sortable in the channel editor. this is in my view a BIG missing feature. it can be worked around by selecting known channels to add them to the favourites in the targeted order but this is very unhandy and uncomfortable.

PLEASE add something like an up- and down arrow in the channels editor in the favourites section.

Realy a BIG thanks for your consideration .. I looked a long time for a good dvb app for windows 10... if you fix these 2 issues you have won a new customer (i promise!) AND i will recommend your app to all my hack buddys ?

Edited by mael
5 hours ago, mael said:

it seems that the favourites are not sortable in the channel editor. this is in my view a BIG missing feature.

You can move channels and favourites in any way you want by drag & drop (except from the favourites back to the channel list). Additionally the channel editor supports multi-selection throughout. As alternative you may also use cut, copy and paste (see context menus).

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Griga:

You can move channels and favourites in any way you want by drag & drop (except from the favourites back to the channel list). Additionally the channel editor supports multi-selection throughout. As alternative you may also use cut, copy and paste (see context menus).

hi griga,

neither copy&paste via menus or hotkeys nor drag&drop seem to work in the demoversion, right?

any plans for future native 64 bit versions? any roadmap in that direction?

my apologies for not posting in the english forum... didnt notice it until this morning

Edited by mael
1 hour ago, mael said:

neither copy&paste via menus or hotkeys nor drag&drop seem to work in the demoversion, right?

AFAIK it should work, but I never tested it in the demo. Where did you get it from? Which version number  is it? Anyway, I'll pass your report on.

It definitely works in the latest 6.1.5.2 full version.

1 hour ago, mael said:

any plans for future native 64 bit versions?

No. It won't happen in near future. I don't see urgent need for it, except for 8k video, because graphics cards don't provide hardware-accelerated decoding when used by a 32 bit applications due to the limited memory address space.

I tested the copy&paste function via the popup menu and it works like it should. Same with Drag&Drop of the channel items.

There is no plan for a 64bit version also from my side. I have a lot experience in porting older 32bit code to 64bit and many things do work already in the Video Editor for example, but at the moment it does not make any sense to port the DVBViewer. Keep in mind that many of the functions won't work since hardware manufactures use their own proprietary dll libraries which never ported to 64bit.

hello hackbart,

i am testing extensivly the 32 bit demoversion (6.1.5.2) under windows 10 professional 1906 with no special or exotic input settings or devices. moving channels around in the favourites channel list doesnt work for me at all ... sorry. tried different ways

may i ask in which language DVBViewer (the core, not the scripting engine) is written in?

i have several personal connections to lead developers of well loved and well known open source tools ... at first some of them shared your opininion that porting to 64 bit would not make any sense...

but in time they learned about their VERY BIG mistake! 64 bit computing is the inevitable future, 32 bit is NOT! 128 bit computing makes MAYBE sense when the universe starts collapsing, but thats another story for cosmologists. so dont panic ? you only have in worst case scenario modify your sources to be 64 bit compileable at one time

and now ALL of them provide native 64 bit executables...

DVBViewer provides recording functions right? ever considered using timeshift cached in memory only? using more than 3gb of system memory?

it also would be a lot faster in higher resolutions on older 64 bit boxes with lesser cores! energy conserving is another good reason...

try comparing in practical environments like workload scenarios 32 bit with 64 bit apps....

just for starters lets say for an experiment:

1. install the free and well working 7-zip compresion app BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit versions

2. defragment one of your data drives. for practical resons it should contain at least 100 gb of data which are for duration of the experiment not used by any other app...

3 . compress the drive with the 32 bit version of 7-zip and measure the time then delete the created file archive at your discretion.

4. do the same with the 64 bit version of 7-zip...

tell me your results please... tell me, apps who COULD use complex calculations like recording algorithms (LAV FILTERS) would not benefit from being 64 bit at all! ?

should i continue this list of BIG advantages of modern high performance 64 bit computing? come on guys: even the cheapest boxes are 64 bit ready by now.. did i already mention since 2006 cpus have amd64 instructions basicly hammered in? ?

i for my case would not use any external plugins on DVBViewer because i use only its core dvb functionality like probably the bigger part of your customers, but even if i am wrong,

plugins would in time become more and more available as they do see the advantages of 64 bit computing.

so mr hackbart... PLEASE reconsider your mistake... and i will send you a lot more customers ... some of my friends have already taken also notice of your app because they dont like progdvb too... what could go wrong by providing 32 bit and 64 bit versions at the same time? your plugin users would only rise the pressure on developers in porting outdated 32 bit stuff to the modern world...

i sometimes dream of a non-multilib box (no 32 bit subsystem) of windows 10, but we are still far away from this... guess why?

ps: i use only high quality dvb products of hauppauge ( and no, i dont work for them)... their BDA compilant drivers work with both 32 bit and 64 bit end user apps so its without meaning which architecture the executablwe is...

Edited by mael