Can't playback mpg files (from an old version of DVBViewer)

Hunter77

I've recently installed the latest version of DVBViewer, but when I try to play old mpg recordings (recorder with a very old version of DVBViewer) most of them freezes; on the ones that don't freeze is not possible to jump forward or back.

I've noticed that I have not the same problem with .ts files (old and new) nor with mpg recordings made with current version of the program.

I have tried playing a bit with codecs but I can't see any improvements (now I'm using ffdshow codec).

Any idea?

Have you already installed the latest version of the LAV Filters? They are recommendable for DVBViewer (32 bit version required, but installing them together with the 64 bit version doesn't hurt :)).

If selecting the LAV Filters for video & audio decoding on Options -> DirectX doesn't fix the issue, try to deselect the DVBViewer Filter as source filter for MPG playback on Options -> DirectX -> DVBViewer Filter. This will let the LAV Source Filter take over. Maybe it can cope with your old files.

I installed K-lite codec pack a long long time ago, so I actually have an old version ov LAV Filters. Tonight I'm going to update the entire codeck pack (containing latest version of LAV Filters) and I'll let you know if it solved my problem.

Don't do it. Codec packs often make things worse. Why not only install LAV filter installer exe from the link Griga posted?

5 hours ago, Hunter77 said:

I installed K-lite codec pack a long long time ago, so I actually have an old version ov LAV Filters. Tonight I'm going to update the entire codeck pack (containing latest version of LAV Filters) and I'll let you know if it solved my problem.

Deselecting DVBViewer filter for mpg solved my problem (selecting LAV filters alone didn't solve it); now I can normally playback recorded mpg files, and jump back and forward without any problem.

(Talking about codec packs: normally I agree with Harald, but IMHO k-lite codec pack is better than many others, and I've been using it for 15 years with great satisfaction ;) )