Win XP SP2 down during scheduled recording

TNT

Hi,

recently I have completely reinstalled my PC. Prior to the reinstall DVBV was working OK, now for second time already it caused a system crash during scheduled recording. After the first crash I have uninstalled DVBV 2.3 beta completely and installed the 2.2 RC1 but it happened again. When I looked into the crash report generated by Windows, I got the following "BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFA1EEAE BCP3 : F37ACAA4

BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1". This means nothing to me, you might have some idea what it could be?

As stated above, I run W XP SP2 on MSI KT6 Delta FISR with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 GB DDR 400 MHz. The system is quite clean as it was reinstalled less than a week ago (incl. partition deletion so no survivors...), only apps which might be interfering are the ones included in GordianKnot codec pack 1.9 + rip pack 0.33.1, WMP 10.00.00.3646 or Nero 6.6.0.6.

As for DVBV plugins I use the VR 3.0 with TSP 1.5 and the PiP 1.3, therefore I also have the DVBV Filter 2.2 in the Filters directory.

The major problem is that some recordings run ok and some cause a system crash. Today only the antivirus SW and a MSI's system monitor "Core Center" were running on background so hardly anything else could cause the crash.

So I enclose the Setup.ini, VRPlugin.ini, Scheduler.ini and DVBViewer.log packed in an archive and hope you might give me some hint where the problem can be and how to get rid of it.

THX

DVBVcrash.zip

OK, any suggestions for a solution?

The card is physically in the same PCI slot as it was since June 2004 till the system reinstall last week and it was working without any problems with DVBV TE - DVBV 2.3 beta. I had a look now at the IRQ list and the card is on IRQ 19 - alone. Even I have a very vague knowledge in this field I think I've heard something like that above 10 the IRQs are "made up" by W XP but don't know for sure. Anyway, since the card does not share the IRQ with any other device, I do not have a clue if the crashes might be caused by an IRQ conflict, not to mention on how to solve it if that was the case.

I would guess in the mess I had on the comp prior to the reinstall there might have been something what prevented such crashes as I have now, but can't figure what that was...

Forgot to mention in my previous post - TS driver 4.3.00 (was there prior to the reinstall too).

Edited by TNT

try driver 4.28. IMHO its the best driver. some people have a problem with newer one.

And you can try to disable fast channel switching.

Thanks a lot, I will try both.

Also, thank for your patience and support, I strongly appreciate it since it is very difficult to diagnose the problem.

Tonight for instance I had a scheduled recording which had to wake up the comp from hibernation at 23:10, finish recording at 02:00 and hibernate the comp again and - despite a few stream errors - it was completely successful... I hate these unpredictable problems! :bounce:

Yes this is one of the unlikely problems.

An other question : this happens only if you wakup your pc or happen it too if you make a normal reboot?

Sorry for the delay, yes, it happens both ways unfortunately.

But lets see, I have reinstalled the driver and have some recordings planned for today afternoon and evening, so I hope it will help. I will let you know about the result latest tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!

OK, so far so good, seems it might have been a TS driver problem, now on the version 4.28 the system seems stable, all scheduled recordings ran OK.

I've even managed to run kind of a stress test - for my son I record an evening fairytale (something like Sandeman...). It is scheduled under my main XP account. Yesterday however I have been logged in also under my "work" account. And I have realized two minutes after the fairytale started that DVBV did not start as usually (it did actually, under the main account but I forgot I am logged in under another one), so I started DVBV and it immediately started the VR plugin and recorded the same thing once more. In result none of the two ts files recorded is usable, since they both have tons of dropouts but apparently the card was used simultaneusly by two instances of DVBV (or VR plugin) and the system did not protest at all... :-)

nice to hear that we solved one problem

Only one question. to the other problem. You used not the account where you programmed the recording and you looks TV in an other account.

Now the sheduler starts the DVBViewer for recording with a second instance?

VRPlugin can be started twice. There nothing happens. But if the viewer starts twice we have a problem. Normaly this should not be possible.

Sorry for the delay again:

1. Under my main account (the one which is also set in the VR plugin for the Windows Task Manager) I have all the scheduled recordings programmed.

2. I was logged in under a secondary account but kind of forgot about I am not in the main one. When I realized the VR window did not pop up as usually at 19:00, I started DVBViewer manually and immediately the VR plugin window popped up and the recording started.

3. Later on I realized both instances (under the main as well as under the secondary accouts) recorded the fairytale simultaneously, while the "main" one was only using the VR and the "secondary" was using both the DVBViewer (started manually) and the VR plugin (started automatically).

Hope I made it clearer, have difficulties to understand it myself :radscorpion: .

Edited by TNT

Yet again!!! ;)

Since my first post on this issue the situation improved a bit - I have uninstalled all around TechniSat and DVBViewer and made a brand new installation using the 4.2.8 TS driver and DVBV 2.3 Beta with VR plugin 3.01 and DVBV Filter 2.2.

But still sometimes the system crashes when executing a scheduled recording. I did not bother you re that, since I could not find anything to help me identify the problem better till today. For a second time already it happened in a very similar way:

1. Previous recording (16:25-17:45) was finished succesfully with "Close DVBViewer after recording" parameter

2. The following recording (scheduled to start 17:50) did not appear in the Windows' "Scheduled Tasks" folder however it was programmed in DVBV "Record Settings"

3. I was demuxing the previous recording in ProjectX while realizing the above so I

4. Started DVBV manually (ca 17:56), immediately the scheduled recording started in VR Plugin and in 9 seconds the system crashed and restarted (see most recent entry in the SchedLgU.txt log and the last entry in userenv.log, both enclosed).

Apparently these two activities (start of the Task Scheduler at 17:56:51 and the "CleanupUserProfile" right after the start of DVBViewer at 17:56:48) appear so close to each other it makes me thing of some causality...

Don't know however what time is used by the WindowsUpdate.log (also enclosed), since it seems it was running even after (or during) the crash :D . I have the automatic updates for Windows set on "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" but was also thinking about this as a possible cause too???

I was trying to find a solution through Google but did not succeed. Maybe you might have an idea?

Yet again!!! ;)

Since my first post on this issue the situation improved a bit - I have uninstalled all around TechniSat and DVBViewer and made a brand new installation using the 4.2.8 TS driver and DVBV 2.3 Beta with VR plugin 3.01 and DVBV Filter 2.2.

But still sometimes the system crashes when executing a scheduled recording. I did not bother you re that, since I could not find anything to help me identify the problem better till today. For a second time already it happened in a very similar way:

1. Previous recording (16:25-17:45) was finished succesfully with "Close DVBViewer after recording" parameter

2. The following recording (scheduled to start 17:50) did not appear in the Windows' "Scheduled Tasks" folder however it was programmed in DVBV "Record Settings"

3. I was demuxing the previous recording in ProjectX while realizing the above so I

4. Started DVBV manually (ca 17:56), immediately the scheduled recording started in VR Plugin and in 9 seconds the system crashed and restarted (see most recent entry in the SchedLgU.txt log and the last entry in userenv.log, both enclosed).

Apparently these two activities (start of the Task Scheduler at 17:56:51 and the "CleanupUserProfile" right after the start of DVBViewer at 17:56:48) appear so close to each other it makes me thing of some causality...

Don't know however what time is used by the WindowsUpdate.log (also enclosed), since it seems it was running even after (or during) the crash :D . I have the automatic updates for Windows set on "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" but was also thinking about this as a possible cause too???

I was trying to find a solution through Google but did not succeed. Maybe you might have an idea?

System_Crash.zip

Edited by TNT

OK, guys, this seems to be kind of a braintwister, isn't it? :D

Since I have difficulties living with a comp which sometimes unexpectedly crashes without leaving a trace in the event viewer, I had a long long discussion with my personal IT guru and here's an idea what might have happened, please give me your opinion...

After discussing the symptoms and all circumstances my guru asked me, if DVBViewer is the kind of program, which during installation asks the magical question to whom it shall be available - meaning these "Only for me" or "Everyone who uses this computer" options. I checked that and it does not. He asked me if I installed it under the profile I am using it with now and I had to admit I do not remember exactly but it is quite possible I did not!!! To explain that - after I reinstalled the OS on 23/01/05 I was installing a lot of things and also importing previously saved mails into the relevant user accounts I have in Windows. And as I said, it is quite likely I installed DVBViewer under a secondary account during importing its e-mails since I forgot I was not logged in with the main one... My previously mentioned complete uninstall and reinstall of all around DVBV and TechniSat however was allways done under the main account.

Now the question is: is it possible that the reason for the computer's misbehaviour is some element of the TS or DVBV installations, which did not correctly uninstall, since the uninstall procedure ran under another user account than the original installation???

And if so, could you please list somewhere all the keys in registry, which are modified by DVBV and TS applications (drivers too?) installation? This would be very helpful as I could try the uninstall once again, checking all the user accounts and killing all DVBV and TS survivors with no mercy... This of course followed by a correct installation under the main account. ;)

Besides, if this really is the cause - would it be possible to attach the above mentioned "Only for me" or "Everyone who uses this computer" options into the installation with whatever it does to the OS? If I understand it correctly, this should mean that in such case whatever is installed for "Everyone..." could later on be modified/removed from whichever user accound (providing it has got the administrator rights), correct?