Newbie starting with DVBViewer and IPTV

gabier1

Hello everybody,

This is my first post since a long time. In another life (at least 15 years ago) I had a DVB-C connection and I knew everything about TS transport streams.

But now I deal with IPTV and I  bought the last DVBViewer version because I had been said in another forum that it could help me for IPTV channel search. In fact my goal is to make a valid (and legal) m3u file which I could use in an android box and an IPTV application. The first file will be restricted to free non encrypted TV channels

What i have succeeded to do :

- I searched the IP network with TransEdit and exported the file to a xx_channels.ini file. I intend to extract channels from this file to make my m3u file.

- in order to check these channels, I imported the channels list to DVBViewer. I can see these new channels in the channel list.

What I cannot do and wish to do :

- The transedit application has filters. I can display in the application i.e. non encrypted channels (flilter "Free to air"), but I cannot save the filtered file.

- I cannot display these new channels in DVBViewer. I think in fact that the new channels should be in the "Internet TV"  branch of the channels tree, but I cannot do that. If I select the Internet TV branch and then import the file, the new channels are in another branch, and if I try to display a channel by double click it tells me "There is no matching DVB device available for this channel".

How can I display  in DVBViewer the channels I have found with TransEdit ?

:) gabier

This reply is because I wish to edit my first post. I thought I had edited  it but the edit does not show so I reply because i have thought the problem over and I think the problem is not in DVBViewer but it is in Transedit.

DVBViewer cannot import an IPTV channel list because the channel list exported by Transedit is not good. I am pretty sure of that because in the xx_channellist.ini there are no IP address in the channels entries. I think I have not set properly TransEdit for IPTV  channel list export. Thus my question is rather how can I export correctly the IPTV channel list resulting from the TransEdit scan ?

1 hour ago, gabier1 said:

I searched the IP network with TransEdit

Based on which data? How did you import it into TransEdit?

There are many different things that are called IPTV. Please be more specific. You wrote a lot, but it doesn't tell me what type of IPTV you are dealing with.

28 minutes ago, gabier1 said:

DVBViewer cannot import an IPTV channel list because the channel list exported by Transedit is not good. I am pretty sure of that because in the xx_channellist.ini there are no IP address in the channels entries.

How do the entries look like? Please post an example.

Hello Griga,

For transedit I set a "scan.ini" file in a "Transponders"  folder in the "TransEdit" folder.

This scan.ini file looks like that (beginning) :

[SATTYPE]
1=7000
2=Orange

[BLINDSCAN]
IP Address=232.0.1.1-232.0.12.255
=0
Port=8200

[DVB]
0=3072
1=3892314369,8200
2=3892314370,8200
3=3892314371,8200
4=3892314372,8200
5=3892314373,8200
6=3892314374,8200
7=3892314375,8200
8=3892314376,8200
9=3892314377,8200
10=3892314378,8200

There are 3072 lines for all ip addresses

I found a similar one on internet and it seemed to work.  The fact is I am not sure that it scans correcttly. My IPTV comes on the fiber optical Internet connection. I have an ISP box and a TV decoder, also from the ISP. Sorry but I am not sure to understand your question.

As for the entries of the Channels.ini file here is the first one

[channel0]
TunerType=4
Root=Orange
Category=GLOBECAST
Provider=GLOBECAST
Name=ROTANA CINEMA
ServiceType=1
OrbitalPos=7000
NetworkID=1
StreamID=1
SID=4006
PMTPID=4106
VPID=4206
APID=4306
PCRPID=4206
AC3=18
Language=ara
TelePID=0
Encrypted=25
Group=0
Frequency=3892314496
Polarity=0
Symbolrate=8200
LNB=0
FEC=-1

I would expect at least an ip address of the channel ,which is 232.0.1.28

Thank you for quick answer !

Edited by gabier1
explanation

OK, now I can see what you are trying to do. I'll answer some questions now and maybe some later...

3 hours ago, gabier1 said:

- The transedit application has filters. I can display in the application i.e. non encrypted channels (flilter "Free to air"), but I cannot save the filtered file.

Of course you can by using the Export function. Please note that you have to first select in the list what you want to export.

I cannot display these new channels in DVBViewer. I think in fact that the new channels should be in the "Internet TV"  branch of the channels tree, but I cannot do that.

Technically it doesn't matter where the channels are located. That's just a matter of personal taste. You can move the channels by using the Channel Editor facilities.

if I try to display a channel by double click it tells me "There is no matching DVB device available for this channel".

You are using the old DVB IPTV branch. There is a more up-to-date handling in DVBViewer and TransEdit. Nevertheless the old type should still work. It requires a virtual DVB IPTV network device in DVBViewer, that is not created automatically. Go to Settings -> Options -> Hardware, click Add and select DVB IPTV Network Device. This should at least prevent the "no matching DVB device" message.

If it still doesn't work, launch DVBViewer_IPTV_Firewall_Rules.bat with admin rights. The file is located in the DVBViewer program directory (where DVBViewer.exe is). It adjusts the firewall rules for this type of IPTV.

1 hour ago, gabier1 said:

I would expect at least an ip address of the channel ,which is 232.0.1.28

It is present, but you can't see it, because the old IPTV branch "abuses" values like Frequency for coding it. The complete URL looks like this:

rtp://232.0.1.28:8200

It is a "from one point to many" multicast address, in contrast to HTTP "from point to point" unicast. Some providers offer a M3U playlist (.m3u) that contains the addresses of all channels, usually for VLC as player - check if your provider does. The content may look like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,(1) Das Erste HD
rtp://239.35.10.1:10000
#EXTINF:-1,(2) ZDF HD
rtp://239.35.10.2:10000

Such a M3U file can be imported directly into the DVBViewer Channel Editor by drag and drop and without scanning. That is the new DVBViewer/TransEdit IPTV branch. However, you can also let TransEdit convert an "old style" transponder list (resulting from the blind scan) to such a M3U list by using "Save as" in the TransEdit main window and selecting .m3u as output format. For this "new style" IPTV DVBViewer automatically creates a suitable virtual network device on demand.

How is it possible that i use "the old DVB IPTV branch" ? I bought DVBViewer 6.1.6.1  at most 3 days ago. If "There is a more up-to-date handling in DVBViewer and TransEdit", how can I get it ? I think it would be much easier for me, should it not ?

16 hours ago, gabier1 said:

How is it possible that i use "the old DVB IPTV branch" ?

Because you have used a blind scan. For technical reasons it's not available for the new IPTV handling.

If you had a M3U channel list from your provider, you would have encountered the new handling, also called "TS Stream" reception type, in contrast to the old "DVB IPTV", that is limited to the rtp://... multicast thing. TS Stream comprises much more - please read more here in the Streaming section.

OK, I tried to use all the suggestions given by Griga and indeed i got much further.

TransEdit :

- I could have a channels.ini file restricted to "Free to air" stations. The trick is to think to click again on "select all" before launching the saving process.

- I could save a m3u file by pressing the "Save as" button on the main window. But this gives me a "full list" m3u. I I want a "restricted list" m3u I must operate in the "results" window, act the filter, then "select all" and finally export to file without forgetting to specify m3u when specifying the file's name.

DVBViewer

- I can display the iptv channels. At first, yesterday, after executing the .bat it did not work. But this morning it worked. Probably yesterday I did not restart DVBViewer.

Thanks to this last possibility, I could test all the IPTV channels I had scanned. My restricted list had 28 channels. But when looking at all these , I could determine those which were really active and those which are no more active or are still images. The "active" channels" are only 10.  This may seem quite small when compared to the full list of 880 channels scanned by TransEdit on my network. I do not know why it is so, probably the reason is that my ISP encrypts many channels which are free channels, in order to have as much control on me as he can.

In fact my scan with TransEdit did not scan a lot of channels around the world. If I look at the channel editor data when displaying the DVBViewer's built-in Internet TV branch of the channel list, I can note that their address refer at remote m3u8 files. Well, I think maybe the goal I had at the beginning of this thread cannot be achieved.

Griga asked me if my ISP gives access to the m3u8 file giving access to the channels. Unfortunately it does not. Probably I will have to change my ISP if I want to gain such an access. I wanted to perform a test before changing but if I do want to really make that test, il will have to do it with a very short m3u list.