Remember file position of recordings across network

bccrew

Which file keeps track of the progress you have watched of a recording? Is it possible to sync this file around over multiple DVBViewer clients? Sometimes I start watching a recording on my laptop but I want to finish it later on the TV in my living room. It would be nice if the file position could be synced.

Thanks

Edited by Griga
title corrected
13 hours ago, bccrew said:

Which file keeps track of the progress you have watched of a recording?

The last position of video files played in DVBViewer is stored locally in the configuration folder\Database\MediaDatabase.db3. The DMS provides no mechanism for transferring it to other DVBViewer clients. Unfortunately it's not something that can be achieved with a few lines of code. It would require major changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 10:05 PM, Griga said:

The last position of video files played in DVBViewer is stored locally in the configuration folder\Database\MediaDatabase.db3. The DMS provides no mechanism for transferring it to other DVBViewer clients. Unfortunately it's not something that can be achieved with a few lines of code. It would require major changes.

Why not giving the responsability to DVBViewer, so the user can specify that the position should be stored at the DMS site, or both sites, so if the user logged in on a client, an entry in the DMS site is logged with user name, and position in the file. So that the same user, logged in on another computer, can continue where he left.
I would love to have this feature 

Another way to do it is to let the DVBViewer user specify where the MediaBase.db3, or part of it, is stored

An completly other way is to do what all major SW companies does:  Microsoft, Apple, Google have moved to an account policy, så that you are not dependant of which computer you are using. Your setting are moving with you
So another aproach could be that you could offer cloud space where users settings are stored

I know! It is always easy for users to say "just fix it", but difficult for the programmer to implement, but just my opinion.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, McenterFreak said:

Why not giving the responsability to DVBViewer, so the user can specify that the position should be stored at the DMS site,

A solution restricted to DVBViewer clients may be possible with reasonable efforts.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, McenterFreak said:

An completly other way is to do what all major SW companies does

We are a minor software company, and our resources are very limited. Sometimes it's difficult enough to keep our software alive and up-to-date.

Anyway, I'll store this topic as bookmark. Maybe there is a chance to come back to it in future.