Product advice

gabier1

Hello,

- What I have :

DVBViewer Pro on windows 10.

- What I want to do :

A media server on one of my main computers, able to stream IPTV (channels displayed by DVBV plus those added by me) to an Android box (Nvidia Shield) with Kodi installed.

The Kodi add-on should be able to display the channels and to record what it is asked to record where it is asked to.

I have seen that there exist a Kodi add-on as a DVBViewer client.

My question is : what products should I install and where ?

I know there is a Windows version for DVBViewer (I already have it), and I suppose I should buy the media server in addition. Are there any Linux versions ? Because I have a Synology NAS (it is a linux like system) or I could buy an inexpensive Linux system.

Does all this make sense ? Any advice is welcome.

59 minutes ago, gabier1 said:

and I suppose I should buy the media server in addition

That's correct.

59 minutes ago, gabier1 said:

Are there any Linux versions ?

No.

Hello Griga,

Thank you for quick answer. You did not mention that Media server on Windows 10  and Kodi DVBV add-on on my Shield can do what I want, i.e. display channels and record them, but I suppose this means it is indeed possible.

One last question to be sure : Can all the orders for displaying channels and for recording scheduling  be issued at the client location ? You don't have to go to the server location when you want to zap from channel to channel or when you want to record a channel ?

:) gabier

50 minutes ago, gabier1 said:

Can all the orders for displaying channels and for recording scheduling  be issued at the client location ? You don't have to go to the server location when you want to zap from channel to channel or when you want to record a channel ?

I don't know Kodi under Android, but it's possible in the Windows version, as far as I can see. I am not familiar with the add-on (I only use it sometimes for tests), but I can see that there is a EPG section allowing to select a programme and add it as timer, a Timers section allowing to edit timers, a Recordings section allowing to select and view recordings etc. All important functionality is available, inluding channel switching, of course.

If something is missing, you can open the Media Server Web Interface in a browser on your Android device. It provides full  remote control. The DVBViewer Media Server provides a Desktop Web Interface for mouse input and a Mobile Web Interface for touch input. Even watching TV in the browser is possible. So you are not fixed to Kodi.

For trying you can use the restricted Media Server Basic version. It's free for DVBViewer purchasers. Please read more about it here.

OK Griga, all this sounds good. And the mobile browser interface is a good security if you can't do something at the client.

I think I'll get a try.

Hello again,

I found it in the DVBV users area. Now I am wondering which Android client should I take ? There is such an application in the Play Store. Is it OK ? Or is there a place at the developers' site with a more up-to-date version ?

Anyway, if you have a tutorial for the installation and tuning of the whole chain, I will take it !!

13 hours ago, gabier1 said:

There is such an application in the Play Store. Is it OK ?

Yes. The developer is member of the DVBViewer forum.

Or open a browser on your device and enter the following address

http://[IP address of the Server PC]:8089

This is the address of the Media Server Desktop Web Interface. With

http://[IPaddress  of the Server PC]:8089/ios

you will get the Mobile Web Interface (also for Android). Replace [IP address of the Server PC] by the correct value. 8089 ist the Web Server port. You also need these values for configuring the Kodi add-on and the DVBViewer Controller app, so they can connect to the DVBViewer Media Server.

For getting the correct [IP address of the Server PC], proceed as follows:

• Right-click the blue Media Server icon in the system tray on your server PC.
  • Select Web Interface. It opens the Desktop Web Interface in your local browser.
  • Go to the Status page. At the bottom left you can see the Web Server IPs. 127.0.0.1 (localhost) can only be used on the Server PC. Other addresses, probably looking like 192.168.xxx.xxx, are suitable for connecting from other PCs / devices in your home network.

I do not think the client I am primarily interested in is that one, which seems to be the mobile client.

I am searching the TV set client, which is AFAIK a Kodi add-on.

I found one in the registered Kodi add-ons. It is called "DVBViewer Client 3.7.11 and was developped by Manuel Mausz. I installed it,but it could not connect to the DMS. I suppose I have problems with the ID/ password I must enter. What are they ? The same as the DVB members enter for the members area, or the host comptuer ID/PWD ?

The  Kodi wiki here  says I should insert "Login credentials for the Media Service Webinterface" What are they ?

1 hour ago, gabier1 said:

The  Kodi wiki here  says I should insert "Login credentials for the Media Service Webinterface"

By default you don't need to enter a user name/password. It refers to your own user name/password that you may set up in this way:

• Select "Configure Server".
  • Select the Web Settings page.

This user name/password is required for accessing the Media Server via internet. Usually you don't need it in a home network.

9 hours ago, Griga said:
  • Select Web Interface. It opens the Desktop Web Interface in your local browser.

Can you do this successfully?

Hello Griga,

I found what was wrong. In my home network there is a ID/PWD to access from one computer to the other. I believe it is a Samba mechanism or something like that. I entered it in the Kodi client, and bingo, I had all DVBViewer built-in channels available.

Congratulation to people who made such an easy video-TV Server -client system.

Thank you for help

Now I have to set-up everything (and buy DMS) and test it in a real world.