VVC

EnoSat

Before this can be used on any PC software there has to be a H.266 (VVC) decoder software / codec first. I assume it will be no problem for DVBViewer itself who only must detect the proper stream type and pass it as it is to a codec, like for all other video and audio formats. But if no codec exists you're toast. Btw, same problem is Dolby AC-4 audio where no windows codec is available now if I'm right.

I don't know if i.e. ffmpeg or LAV Filters can include this later because of patent licensing and legal issues. Additionally, currently there is no graphics card capable of hardware decoding H.266 like they do for H.264/H.265 so the CPU must do all the work. Resulting in many computers having not enough power to play such a stream. Same happened when H.265 started, i.e. german change from DVB-T to DVB-T2 was also a change from H.264 to H.265, on a desktop pc you could change to a new graphics card with hardware decoding, on a notebook you are lost.

• 2 years later...