Difficulty switching to/from some channels

twosheds

I'm having a strange problem, which I think was triggered after a Windows update a week or two ago but I can't be sure. It manifesst itself in the following ways.

switching from any HD channel to any BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5 SD channels causes the video to display multiple upward sloping lines of video images covering perhaps the top 90% of the screen. The final 10% of the screen in 'normal' but flashing on and off. Switching to and from Sky News SD corrects the video problem.
switching from BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5 HD channels to other non BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5  HD channels causes the video to freeze and vice-versa. Again switching to/from  Sky News SD corrects the video problem.

For example if I'm watching BBC News HD and want to watch BBC1 for my region(which is broadcast in SD) I have to first switch to Sky News SD or other non-BBC/ITV/Channel 4/Channel 5 SD channel and then to BBC1 SD.
The  MPEG2,H264,VC1,HEVC are all set to LAV Video decoder and the Video Renderer is set to Overlay Renderer.

I use the inbuilt Intel HD 4600 graphics port on the motherboard with driver version 20.19.15.5144 dated 15/05/2020.

Can anyone help me solve this problem ?

support.zip

57 minutes ago, twosheds said:

the Video Renderer is set to Overlay Renderer.

Why? It's a bad choice under Windows 10. I get no picture at all with it. You should use the EVR Custom Renderer in DVBViewer (which is the default), unless there are good reasons for not using it.

57 minutes ago, twosheds said:

I use the inbuilt Intel HD 4600 graphics port on the motherboard with driver version 20.19.15.5144 dated 15/05/2020.

Several users in the German section of the forum reported trouble with recent Intel drivers lately (mostly something like "HD is still working, but SD freezes"). Try to return to the previous version by using the device manager, a system restore point or by installing an old driver that was reported as working.

Since the issue shows up on channel switching in your case, you can also try if Options -> TV/Radio -> Fast channel switching off fixes it.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, Griga said:

Why? It's a bad choice under Windows 10. I get no picture at all with it. You should use the EVR Custom Renderer in DVBViewer (which is the default), unless there are good reasons for not using it.

Several users in the German section of the forum reported trouble with recent Intel drivers lately (mostly something like "HD is still working, but SD freezes"). Try to return to the previous version by using the device manager, a system restore point or by installing an old driver that was reported as working.

Since the issue shows up on channel switching in your case, you can also try if Options -> TV/Radio -> Fast channel switching off fixes it.

Thanks for the responses and your tips. Unfortunately none of them make my situation any better  :-

I can't get any channel to function with any other renderer other than the overlay renderer

The 'rollback' option is grayed out in device manager.

I've tried to find older drivers to install but each time I receive an error stating that my machine doesn't meet the required specs for the driver.

Switching off Fast Channel appears to make no difference.

Thanks again for your efforts.

EDIT. I forgot to mention that my capture card is a Technotrend  s2-3200.

Edited by twosheds
Added extra information

I see you use driver 5.0.3.5 for the S2-3200 (I'm using the same card too) which was a special version only recommended for use with (retired) Windows Media Center. For normal use driver 5.0.1.8 is the preferred version. In this case the higher version number is not the better one. I think this has nothing to do with the problem you mention above but just as an information.

And are you sure you have a graphics driver installed at all? In your support.zip -> Systeminfo.txt the entries for "Videocard:" and "Version:" are empty. Does device manager really show an Intel driver or just "Microsoft Basic Display" or something? As your Intel audio driver (which should be included in Intel video driver) is dated 2018 I wonder if you really have a fully installed Intel driver of 2020.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, HaraldL said:

I see you use driver 5.0.3.5 for the S2-3200 (I'm using the same card too) which was a special version only recommended for use with (retired) Windows Media Center. For normal use driver 5.0.1.8 is the preferred version. In this case the higher version number is not the better one. I think this has nothing to do with the problem you mention above but just as an information.

And are you sure you have a graphics driver installed at all? In your support.zip -> Systeminfo.txt the entries for "Videocard:" and "Version:" are empty. Does device manager really show an Intel driver or just "Microsoft Basic Display" or something? As your Intel audio driver (which should be included in Intel video driver) is dated 2018 I wonder if you really have a fully installed Intel driver of 2020.

Thank you for your observations.

I installed 5.0.1.8 for the TT and as you thought it hasn't made any difference to my problem.

Device Manager also informs me that I have  Intel 4600 graphics with driver number 20.19.15.5144 dated 15/05/2020 installed and the audio drivers are up-to-date even though they are dated 2018.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, twosheds said:

I can't get any channel to function with any other renderer other than the overlay renderer

Strange. You are using ancient stuff that has been introduced with Windows 98 (if I remember it correctly). Your graphics adapter seems to fall back to some legacy mode where nothing else works. Does the DirectX Diagnostic Tool report problems?

On 9/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, twosheds said:

I've tried to find older drivers to install but each time I receive an error stating that my machine doesn't meet the required specs for the driver.

Did you try the "old driver" link that I've provided in my post above?

On 9/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, HaraldL said:

In your support.zip -> Systeminfo.txt the entries for "Videocard:" and "Version:" are empty.

That's normal. For some unknown reason Intel graphics adapters don't show up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Griga said:

Strange. You are using ancient stuff that has been introduced with Windows 98 (if I remember it correctly). Your graphics adapter seems to fall back to some legacy mode where nothing else works. Does the DirectX Diagnostic Tool report problems?

Did you try the "old driver" link that I've provided in my post above?

That's normal. For some unknown reason Intel graphics adapters don't show up.

I'd overlooked your link to the old driver but after installing it and switching to the 'EVR Enhanced Video Renderer' DVBViewer has begun to work correctly as it should.

Thank you to you, Griga, and HaraldL for your kind assistance.