Recording slows down my computer when I try to access other programs

a_edwall

It seems like v6.1.7.1, and I don't know how many previous versions, has introduced delays in my computer's operation. Currently, when I record a program, then try to access or change tabs on my browsers, it takes 10 to 15 seconds for the browser to respond. I don't remember this being a problem in the past - it seems to have started with the last 2 or 3 versions (I'm not sure exactly). Has anyone else noticed this problem? It's as if perhaps the computer cache gets so used up that other programs spend a lot of time trying to get back in sync. I use Windows 8.1 with 8 GB of RAM. I have made no changes in my equipment - it seems related to the newer DVB versions. I am going to try going back to older versions and see if I can collect more data. When I look at Task Manager I do not see outrageous numbers for CPU usage, Memory usage, or Disk usage - this is why I suspect the cache. Thank you.

UPDATE: I installed v6.1.4.0, which does not seem to act like the above. So something indeed appears different between these two versions. Sunday will be a good test because football is on and I record a lot of football.

There is no such issue here under Windows 8.1.

DVBViewer does not take measures to influence caching explicitly. It simply uses the Windows API for writing to disk.

Some time ago a German user, who executed a lot of recordings simultaneously (50 or more), experienced very high memory usage because the recorder was not able to write its buffers to disk in time. He finally found out that it was caused by his SMR hard disk that was quite full and fragmented. Hard disks of this type tend to become very slow in this state.